R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 10-08-2001, 09:47 PM   #301
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Man, we are quiet. Must be polishing our trophies from this weekend!
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 09:22 AM   #302
Tech Adept

Are you guys using shims in your outdrives? I read on a website that if using the molded outdrives no shims are needed. Will removing the shim adversely affect transmission gear mesh?
racerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 09:27 AM   #303
Tech Adept

removing the shims on the PLASTIC outdrives is ok (imo) the extra play frees up the trans. a little gear lash is good. did you use the link i left?

Last edited by JOHNNY RACER; 10-09-2001 at 09:31 AM.
JOHNNY RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 09:29 AM   #304
Tech Adept

Default blueprinting

here is the blueprinting link again.

http://www.chicagotc.freeservers.com/tc3help.htm
Old 10-09-2001, 10:41 AM   #305
Tech Adept

Johnny,
I did read this on the link that you provided. Our on-road season has ended in Salt Lake so I have been rebuilding my TC3. I am always looking for hints on how to improve it. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:38 AM   #306
Tech Adept

SHUR TING MON!

i did the ALL of the mods mentioned in that article and there was a significant improvement. try using sewing machine oil in the bearings too. it's a silicone based oil. i haven't noticed it collecting any dirt.
Old 10-09-2001, 02:57 PM   #307
Tech Adept

Looking for some more help! How do the following adjustments affect my car (in layman terms please);
1. Anti-squat. How will my TC3 feel or handle when using 0 instead of the stock 2.
2. Inner camber-link placement. I have seen a lot of set-ups using the upper-inner position, what does this change compared to the stock, lower-inner.

Thank you
Old 10-09-2001, 05:11 PM   #308
Tech Master

racerdave

Check out this link. http://gallery.uunet.be/heremanss/c3/index.htm
You'll need to scroll down a ways to the "Caster" section. That's all the theory on how it works.

Basically, if you add caster, or go away from zero, the car feels more stable, but steering feels slower. If you take caster away, or bring it closer to zero, the car feels more "twitchy," but has more responsive steering.

Hope that helps...

In case you want to check out all the tech stuff from that site, here's the url: http://gallery.uunet.be/heremanss/
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 10:32 PM   #309
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to wolfeman09 Send a message via Yahoo to wolfeman09

Jhonny > What did you use for making the countersunk holes bigger in the chassis? I had an extra chassis and practiced with some bits i bought from home depot. It worked pretty well, but you had to be extra carefull not to drill all the way down or the hole got messed up on the other side of the chassis.

It seemed to work, but took a loong time per hole. I am using the Black and Decker Wizard as the dremel tool and a bit that looks famiar to the pictures, but is it not exactly like the article states.
wolfeman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 08:31 AM   #310
Tech Adept

Just a few questions to all you TC3 regulars,

Is it true that there is a problem with torque steer on slippery surfaces with the TC3?

Is it also true that the TC3 steers better in ine direction than the other?

Do all the new TC3 kits now come with composite diff out drives and droop screws instead off limiters in the shocks?

Have the arms been strengthened over the original design?

Is there a new TC4 due out any time soon before I commit to getting the FTTC3.

Any help greatly appretiated.

Yorkie
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 10:05 AM   #311
Tech Adept

WOLFEMAN- use an 82* countersink like metal fab shops use. you may be able to get one that a shop considers dull for free. use the stone bit only for cleaning up the countersinks.

YORKIE-
no. as long as you fine tune the spring collars(why threaded shock bodies rule) with the car on the ground, not just on a setup board. i was able to straighten the car out with just a 1/4 turn tighter on the LR shock.

no. see above. try to do donuts in both directions. tweak springs until the car turns dounuts of the same radius.

not sure, and yes.

yes.

i have absolutely no idea. i like my FTTC3 though!!!!!
Old 10-10-2001, 10:47 AM   #312
Tech Regular

Yorkie,

The composite diff drives are only available on the FT kit, unless AE recently changed that.

The rear arms were redesigned shortly after the kit was released. Both front and rear arms and chassis were redesigned when they added the droop screw adjustment... all kits should include the new arms and chassis, and the original chassis can still make use of the new droop-adjustable arms (mine is set up that way).

I don't think that a "TC4" kit would come out anytime soon. At best, they MIGHT come out with some kind of pivot-ball upgrade, but even that would probably be some time away. I asked AE in their Tech page and they said that "there were no plans" for such an upgrade. When someone else asked, they said "it's too early to tell". Hmmm... kinda sounds like when Michael Jordan said that he was "99.9% sure" that he wasn't coming out of retirement!
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 03:06 PM   #313
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just my 2c.

The new arms with the droop screws are far superior over the 'limiters-in-the-shock' design. Losi has done the same thing with their cars...it's just a better design. I would suggest getting the FT car with the threaded shocks. Life has been so much simpler since the addition of them.

TC4...why would you want one??? The TC3 works great. It does have it's minor flaws....all cars do, but the TC3's is minor enough to overcome with some slight tuning, as Johnny Racer has explained a bit earlier. As for the Gas car, I think only a couple SMALL peices will inter-change...but not many. Upgrading would require a whole new chassis, arm mounts, etc. It's alot of work. But, as most companies do, new cars are always on the horizon...
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 07:24 PM   #314
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

i recently bought the plastic outdrives for my tc3. problem is, they seem to be a tight fit on the gearboxes - the sides of the outdrives are binding inside. have any of you experienced this problem? i already removed the shims for the bearings but they still rub. these are new outdrives. but when i install my old ones, everything's fine. help please! because if the plastic ones dont work, ill be forced to buy the aluminum (expensive!) ones thanks for any info!
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 08:28 PM   #315
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon Slayer

I have a Team TC3 and a friend has the Factory Team car, the plastic outdrives are definitly tighter, we tried removing the shims, but still tight.When you spin the axle, mine rolls much more than the car with the plastic ones.
Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote