R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-17-2002, 07:04 PM   #2986
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth Tan
HELP

Hi Guys,

I am in the midst of fixing up a FTTC3. I noticed that 3000/3300 NiMh packs with corally plugs soldered direct to the postitive and negative tabs do not fit at all into the chassis. Any pics or suggestions on how to overcome this? I am also open to do some dremeling, but would dremeling the backbone of the chassis like what Barry Baker did make the chassis substantially weaker?... thanks.

Kenneth
ken
those cells are bit larger than normal
u need to file the chassis batt slot.
to enlarge it to fit in..
else u might short the batts
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:14 PM   #2987
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks, Jack. I think I may have to do more than just filing, perhaps cut away some of the backbone of the chassis.
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 07:29 PM   #2988
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth Tan
Thanks, Jack. I think I may have to do more than just filing, perhaps cut away some of the backbone of the chassis.
i know what u talking about..
no choice on that.. the HV and 33 is bigger than the rest.... even for my 414m i
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:57 PM   #2989
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mab_man20

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig
That just sound cooler then belts when you run it.Kinda race carish.
Ive found that my car is practically silent (just a woooosh as i pass the drivers stand). Are most of your cars like that?

it is still a much better sound than a xxx-s
mab_man20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:30 PM   #2990
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Craig

In stock yes it is quiet,but strap a 9 turn and they have a slight "whine".Nothin bad .
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:57 PM   #2991
Tech Master

Default TC3 foam tires

Has anyone up north seen any cool setups that pros maybe trying.
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:14 PM   #2992
Tech Fanatic

Guy's, I saw the coolest thing today. Josh Cyrul was racing at my local indoor track with his custom TC3, and he had fitted a NTC3 steering rack to it. It looked awesome, and it seamed to work great. I'm going to try it on an extra chassis I have and see how it goes. It looked really clean, and simple to do. He also had a Losi rear shock tower glued & bolted to the outside of his stock AE rear tower. Looked kind of weird, but also seemed to work well. He had the rear shocks all the way out on it (way out there).
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:14 PM   #2993
Tech Fanatic

my car made a awful clicking noise when i screwed up the comm with a rock. and since i dont have a lathe i had to have the shop redo it, they charged 20 bucks ! ugh. and that was the only place i could find to do it. i can buy a new armature fer a p2k2 for less then that.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:25 PM   #2994
Tech Master

Default Wow 20 bucks

Hey dude what are they doing. Are they cutting the comm or putting in a new one...

What the heck is Josh up to. Those changes must be pretty drastic. I have thought about that steering system from the Nitro but it seemed like a lot of work.
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:05 AM   #2995
Tech Master

Kenneth Tan.

Just dremmel a couple of slots to make the corally females clear.

They won't harm anything.

I do it as standard practice on every customer car I sell, and nobody has complained.

The TC3 chassis is pretty strong anyway.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:08 AM   #2996
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks man!
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:33 AM   #2997
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Howdy folks,

Craig: I run on high-grip black asphalt, it's a very tight and technical track. For practice, we usually run foams, but since it's a "new" car to me, I like to run rubbers because it tends to better point out balancing problems, due to the lesser grip, especially with the 10 triple I was running! Saturday's race will be handout foams on carpet. I will check the diff housings, this is a good suggestion. For shock length, I have only checked longitudinal symmetry, and it's perfect. Anyway, shock length symmetry should be a non-issue, at the first order anyway, since it's actually the equilibrium position with the spring compressed naturally that determines the chassis position. Shock length shouldn't have anything to do with it.... The only situation when a shock length asymetry could be a problem is when the shocks are fully extended... but you hit the limiters (droop screws) before it happens anyway. At the second order, if you have unequal length shocks, asymmetry can come from the fact that on the longer shock, the shaft is further into the oil and sustains stronger rebound forces... but it shouldn't be enough to throw the car sideways anyway.

jsp: the numbers I gave might actually not be 100% accurate ( I wquoted them from memory), but actually were put down in this thread to give a ballpark... However the ballpark is correct, and the L/R weight changed indeed. I am not surprised since it's what I expected by changing spring constraint with the shock collar. However your theory is interesting, but I'm curious to read how it is derived?

Thanks all for your help anyway! I'll let you know how the situation changes (if it does change).

Paul
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:36 AM   #2998
Tech Elite

Default the next AE TC

Now, as far as AE switching from shaft to belts, I doubt it will happen. When the TC3 was released, since AE was a latecomer in the category, they marketed it mainly on its "revolutionary" shaft-driven architecture in order to stand out from an already saturated market. they can't go back, or it would mean they were fundamentally wrong, since it was the car's main feature. Besides that, the R&D costs were so high they need to be "absorbed" (sorry, don't know the appropriate english word) by further designs... plus it works pretty well and is almost totally maintenance free! True, the noise can be annoying sometimes...
Old 11-18-2002, 02:37 AM   #2999
Tech Elite

Default Oh yeah...

... one more question... what's the key to a slop-free steering rack (an globally, all the steering assembly) on this car?

Thanks!

Paul
Old 11-18-2002, 08:36 AM   #3000
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Oh yeah...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lonestar
... one more question... what's the key to a slop-free steering rack (an globally, all the steering assembly) on this car?

Thanks!

Paul

I'm using a Rad-Tech blue aluminum steering rack, with teflon ball bearings. and it is really smooth. A little play, but I believe that is normal.

Greg
GKHTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote