Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown

i run foam...
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 11:57 PM   #2897
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

TPhalen: i know there will be running changes in the FTTC3 kit like the blue shaft, the revised arms, etc. but what i'd like to know is if there will be any changes to the chassis itself? as in anything at all like in terms of stiffness/flex, milling of the center reinforcmnt braces, or even just rounded out edges to help reduce chassis scrubbing on the track surface when cornering?

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:40 AM   #2898
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Results of the 4th round of the Malta nationals:

Josh Anastasi and his JOHN BULL RACING TC3 make it 4 wins in 4 rounds.

Josh's TC3 runs with Novak GT7 speedo, Corally Pro Series modified motor, Corally Pro team 3000 Panasonic UMH cells, KO Propo servo and receiver, and Protoform bodyshells.

Interestingly, of the top 8 runners 6 were running TC3s.

Tony Ph. What's this I hear about a new - narrower chassis. I saw someone in Europe run with the cells split - 4 on 1 side and the remaining 2 on the other, all tucked right in near the centre. It certainly concentrates the weight much nearer the centre of the car.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:21 AM   #2899
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Howdy

Hello all,

I found some time during that rainy weekend to install the electronics in the car. I had to do with what I had, some of the radio mounting gear was missing in the used car I got. Fortunately I have enough RC stuff in my pitbox and could get everything right. I have a question, though... what are the "special" parts that are included in the FT team and that I could be missing? I dunno, special tools, wrenches (besides the traditional crap L-shaped allen wrenches), droop gauges, the kind of stuff the previous seller could be keeping for himself, if yanno what I'm saying...

Thanks!
Paul
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:37 AM   #2900
Tech Elite

Default TC3 Tuning guide

Oh yeah, I was also mailed my TC3 Tuning Guide pdf file from AE. I discovered that product on Tony's site, and figured out, what the heck, $3.95 won't kill me.

Well, all I can say is that, if you're a racer with some experience, it won't be of much help. It basically takes any tuning option (toe, camber, caster, and so on), and tells you what it is, when to use it, how to adjust it on the car, and how to write it down on your setup sheet.

For each adjustment, the only section that could have been really interesting was the one where they were explaining how exactly it was working, but it only stays very superficial IMHO... for instance on Caster, all it says is "Add more caster to decrease steering entering corners and reduce steering exiting corners. It will also be more stable through bumpy conditions. Use less caster if you need less steering entering corners but more steering in themiddle and exiting corners". I was hoping to read some stuff about how caster was offsetting the wheel turning axle with respect to the axis of the car, and that's why under acceleration more caster helps the wheels come back in line, stuff like automotive engineering talks... I'm sorry that it concentrates on the effects, not really on WHY the car does this or that when you change so and so...

Moreover, not a word on roll center... No table saying "if your car drives like... then you need to change..."... no recommendations about where to start modifying stuff (like shall I change increase toe-in, or add camber to the rear wheels if my car is unstable in a turn???) . To me, these are VERY important features in a setup guide... and they're missing here.

I guess that, for $3.95 I can't really complain. Still, I was hoping from some real info from the A-Team, not some rehashed setup information that you can find in any magazine of kit instructions.

If you're a beginner, this document is enough to get you started... If you're an intermediate to advanced RC'er, then I believe this document won't really help you much.

I hope I'm not sounding too harsh, but I'm disappointed with my investment.

Paul

Last edited by Lonestar; 11-11-2002 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:08 PM   #2901
Tech Master

BOOOHHHOOOOO!!!!!!!
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:48 PM   #2902
Tech Master

Default Magic book of Setup Answers 101

There is a lot of help for those who want basic help. The tc3 manuel is good for those who are starting off. When you get good and need more help there will be less people available that are willing to help you. If I have an advantage over you why should I give you my set up. That is what they will tell you when you go looking for help...

The real set up guide is the track and plenty of practice. No one will truthfully give you what you want. There is a book that is sponsored by chris tossolini and others that talks about all those suspension questions you need answered.
Castor, camber,kickup, antisqaut are the same on all cars. Appling them to the TC3 is the trick. I dont know the name of the book, but the ads are in car action.

Good luck on working on the car. Try the Baker set up. It is good almost every where. Small tweaks and it is good even on carpet.

P.S Let the pros find out what works and try the setups until you find one for you.
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 08:58 PM   #2903
Tech Regular

Lonestar - If you want a good book on tuning try the XXX-Main chassis setup book. It's a great read and explains things more the way you were asking. Pricey but good.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 09:24 PM   #2904
Tech Fanatic

I agree, the XXX-Main book is worth the money.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 10:29 PM   #2905
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Roborat: Nope. No chassis changes. Chassis will remain either the plastic or carbon compounds.

johnbull: We've been playing around with stuff like this for the next generation TC3. Now, before all the rumors fly, let's be perfectly straight here.....NO, THERE IS NO NEW TC CAR COMING UP! There will, however, be a new car eventually, just not now. We have way to many other cool things coming out before that.

Most of the chassis things are done by people 'trying' something out, more than the Factory saying "Hey, try this out".

Lonestar: Glad to see you found that off my site!!!! The setup book is really geared more towards the beginner, but I'm sure everyone can benefit from it somehow! Like rangulo said, most of it is a "This is what it does, now go apply it". And, even though I haven't seen one of those booklets to see what it says, you have to remember that every situation is different. One setup change can make a huge difference (or not) depending on the rest of your setup. It's really kind of hard to say what a change is gonna do, specifically, without the knowledge of what the rest of the car is like. What it can do is say "Need more turn in, add Toe Out", etc.

I think it's a great beginner tool, but those advanced drivers may find it a little TOO beginner.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 12:26 AM   #2906
Tech Elite

Default Re: Howdy

Thanks all for your feedback... I also ordered Martin Crisp's setup book... I'll give you some feedback about it.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the same as the XXX-main book... or is it?

Paul
Old 11-12-2002, 12:26 AM   #2907
Tech Elite

Default Re: Howdy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Hello all,

I found some time during that rainy weekend to install the electronics in the car. I had to do with what I had, some of the radio mounting gear was missing in the used car I got. Fortunately I have enough RC stuff in my pitbox and could get everything right. I have a question, though... what are the "special" parts that are included in the FT team and that I could be missing? I dunno, special tools, wrenches (besides the traditional crap L-shaped allen wrenches), droop gauges, the kind of stuff the previous seller could be keeping for himself, if yanno what I'm saying...

Thanks!
Paul
Before this post gets forgotten... allow me to ask again... any goodies in the FT kit the previous owner could have forgotten to give me and that I could rightly go claim?

Thanks!
Paul
Old 11-12-2002, 05:09 AM   #2908
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Thanks all for your feedback... I also ordered Martin Crisp's setup book... I'll give you some feedback about it.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the same as the XXX-main book... or is it?

Paul
Yes it is the same book.
dcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:07 AM   #2909
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to C_J_GO
Default XXX-main book

Where would I find this book? Is there a web site? Thanks
C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:21 AM   #2910
Tech Regular

Default Re: XXX-main book