TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Easton won cleveland on 4wd
Old 11-06-2002, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Kevin--Your right,,, I just went to the associated website and it has his set up there and it has a diff.

Maybe a lock diff is the way to go but not for stock. It would probably rob to much power from the stock motor.

Has anyone had any success from a solid diff in stock....

I know they work well in mod but I just cant see anyone putting a solid diff in a class like stock..
Old 11-06-2002, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Hi,

we ran a shaft oneway at Cleveland last year. ( one I had made) as for running the front oneway on carpet /foams. we did try this last year. with some success but only on flowing tracks. I haven't tried a spool front diff yet. although I have toyed with the idea of a shaft oneway and a front spool. outdoors we ran a spooled rear diff and a oneway in the front but really didn't care for it. it seemed better on hotter days than cooler ones. tires played a BIG part on how the car felt/drove. not too sure how the 1/8th scalers do it (besides massive H/P).

Tony:

Hi,

I have signed up for your fourms but can't get in....anyway you have a really nice site. My son loves your VW...... Thanks now I have one more thing to buy..........J/K
I'm not sure if you run on carpet at all.but have you tried moving the battery inboard on carpet???? I am building one to try on carpet along with some of Josh's ideas.

Thanks for your time
Old 11-06-2002, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry everyone. I don't get on my e-mail (or online) enough to be able to keep up with everything. I will try to do my best, but please bear with me....

NTC3NUT: I don't know of any delrin gears....delrin plastic is really the wrong type of plastic to be using for hi-torque applications....nitro included. If the gear mesh is not 'just right', the gears could (and possibly would) fold over due to to much power. Seen it happen in testing on some recent applications. not sure if that will ever be a factory option.

One ways and carpet. I ran a hot setup on carpet a while back while visiting a friend in Texas. It's on my site, if you want to give it a try. I ran it in mod but heard later that it was even better in stock. Who'd a thunk it!!!! Anyway, it's not a typical thing to run a one-way with foams on carpet. Just way to aggressive.

Fakk2: Ya, the forum idea was something I tried to see if I would get enough draw to set up a killer forum like R/C Techs. Just didn't get the draw so it's sort of in limbo right now. Not sure what to do. There is some talk around the shop about making the AE site an exclusive AE site, with my site a 'serious racer' side-site, including a new forum. Might be awhile but the idea is floating around.

Chassis. See, the hard part of trying something like that is that people NOW know I'm in R&D. If I go down to the track with ANYTHING different than a stock TC3, people think it's the MUST HAVE ADDITION to the car....a new prototype, or whatever. So, while I do have ALOT of stuff different on my car everytime I'm down at the track (who doesn't just 'try' different stuff), I have to keep it pretty low key. Barry has the same treatment. We R&D the stuff, he gets to try it, and it's alot more for the 'sake of just trying it' than a production test. Kinda hard to explain, but that's kinda the way it is.

But, long story short (I know, too late), yes, we are running the inboard chassis setup, but not on carpet. We do alot of our testing at SoCal, less than 5 minutes from AE. Good thing!
Old 11-07-2002, 03:27 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Newbie

Originally posted by RC1q2w3e4r
Can anyone advise if a one way is good on an TC3?
What is the most common part to break on the track?
I'm seemed to always get a cracking noise form the spur gear, whenever I've set the gear mesh, it will come loose after a few runs.
Can I get the spur gear changed to 64 pitch?
The stock AE One-way is fine for the TC3, use it without problems of durability, just need to lube it with a good one-way oil (like the Serpent one).

The most common part to break is difficult to say, depending the people and the track, but if you like to slam the boards, first candidates would be the rear bulkhead and the A-Arms (got an extra set of hinge pins b/c on some crashes can be bent easy).

If you got a cracking noise from the spur gear can be a faulty mesh from the pinion and the spur, check it and correct the mest, a little of sound is fine, much is bad.

Time ago I used 64 pitch gear, but actually I use 48 pitch. If you insist on using 64 pitch, your best bet on spur sizes would be 93 - 100T.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:14 AM

Default hop ups

Any recommened hop ups is a must have for the TC3?

Any companies like GPM or RPM make good hop ups?

Any good website to check out for hop ups?

Where do you guys buy them?

Thinking of going bullet proof with alum arms and gears.

Thanks

Last edited by RC1q2w3e4r; 11-07-2002 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: hop ups

Originally posted by RC1q2w3e4r
Any recommened hop ups is a must have for the TC3?

Any companies like GPM or RPM make good hop ups?

Any good website to check out for hop ups?

Where do you guys buy them?

Thinking of going bullet proof with alum arms and gears.

Thanks
Hi!! Actualy the FT-TC3 does not need any hop ups, but since I am only a novice driver, it will be expensive for me to keep on buying parts.

I placed alum knuckles, rear hub carier, alum front and rear suspension holders. All made by Square got them at [email protected], www.rainbowten.co.jp

also placed alum input shafts, alum spur gear holder, and carbon fiber braces

and I made custom nerf wings and bumper like the one's from BRP, can't get hold of RPM Bumpers here in Manila!!
Old 11-07-2002, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Tony, Here's a picture of the gears. This was taken at the Worlds in Cincinnati this year. Any of the Team drivers that where there would know about them, maybe they can give you a little info. on them. We will need them for our NTC3's next season. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails TC3 Forum-finals-029.jpg  
Old 11-07-2002, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by NTC3NUT
Tony, Here's a picture of the gears. This was taken at the Worlds in Cincinnati this year. Any of the Team drivers that where there would know about them, maybe they can give you a little info. on them. We will need them for our NTC3's next season. Thanks!
For my peace of mind and for security I'll change by system (specially the little one) each time I go to race and ever I keep a pair of them on my toolbox.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Hi Corse R.

Good to see you writing in TC3 page again.

Am I to assume that you have converted back to TC3 from X Ray?

Good to read you anyway.

We have started our championships here. Son Josh has won 3 out of 3 with his TC3 in mod, and i now race in stock, still with my MR4. I have had 1 win and a couple of 2nds.

We are on again next Sunday, weather permitting.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by johnbull
Good to see you writing in TC3 page again.

Am I to assume that you have converted back to TC3 from X Ray?
John:

My hear is divided between these two cars, all two were incredible. I still use my TC3 on tight tracks where it rocks, but Xray is better on large tracks due to their stability.

And for ending, from some time ago I have a nitro car who amazes me (when not flameout - not due for the tank - the NTC3). Now all the seasons are end and I'm using much more the NTC3 rather than the other cars.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just started using the timer on the M8 on the last battery so now I have a benchmark for time. Typical laps are about 16.5 secs, I've had some around 15.75 and some as high as 17 which is probably more of when I'm pressing the button rather then my actual laps. The pack actually lasted 11:15 seconds and I ran about 42 laps. 16th and 17th lap were exactly the same down the the hundredth, pretty cool. I used to be extremely consistent, hopefully I can get that back.

Working on trying to keep a nice flowing line right now and I've made a slighty change to the track so its asymetrical now, makes it a little more interesting but still boring by myself.

Tried to get to your site Tony but its giving me a server not responding error message. I want to check out the slippy surface setup and replicate as much of it as I can.

Unfortuneatly if it uses anything other than what came with the kit with the exception of springs I'm pretty much SOL, especially since I just placed an order for a Bolink pinion puller (bought their pinion set when I ordered the kit, extremely tight fit on some of them), the Thorp allen drivers I need, the RPM extended bumper, and Trinity foam. Wish I'd read the setup first in case I needed anything else, figures, lol.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Ok, was able to get to the setups another way. Hes using 50wt up front with silver or golds it looks like. I only have the 40wt kit oil so could I try a number one piston and green or silver to accomplish approximately the same thing? I'm using the zero kick blocks up front right now. One thing I didnt see on the setup was ride height, should I just leave that at 6mm, the tracks is very smoothe (err, court, lol).

Under braking the car will want to loop on me if I got in turning at all, would more rear droop help out in this department (what I'm trying to say is more travel out back, is that more or less droop? Lower number equal to more droop?)?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

I just checked out the Tower website and they had the HPI X pattern radials in 21mm and 26mm. Is this the diameter for the wheel (which I thought was 24 and 26mm) or some other measurement? Which one do I use?
Old 11-07-2002, 06:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by madweazl
[B]I just checked out the Tower website and they had the HPI X pattern radials in 21mm and 26mm. Is this the diameter for the wheel (which I thought was 24 and 26mm) or some other measurement? Which one do I use?

I mounted my HPI X pattern's (26mm) on an extra set of Proline Axis wheels that came with my TC3 (which I purchased used). I think they are the standard size Axis wheels that are included with the TC3 RTR.

Greg

Last edited by GKHTC3; 11-07-2002 at 06:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.