Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Gkhtc3-- I would stick to what works and I have had all those esc and the best is the Keyance. Lrp would come apart and the novak feels unproportional. The keyance pro is the best in the business.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

I got back into the sport about 2 yrs ago after a 10 yr break. When you get a decent servo make sure your esc can handle the extra amp draw. I tried this with a Novak Explorer II and it glitched like crazy, not driveable.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Default New version

I heard the Tc3 was revising some of the new changes and including those changes in the new FT kit
Old 11-04-2002, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The kits will now include (IF you get one of the new running change kits) aluminum driveshafts and the new, updated arms. I say IF because there may still be some kits floating around (for awhile) WITHOUT these parts. DO NOT call Associated and say your kit did not come with them. It either will or it won't. Some carbon shafts were prone to breakage....hopefully this will cure that problem!
Old 11-04-2002, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So TP, you tired of working or hardly working?... j/k How's it going bro...
Old 11-05-2002, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ran the car for the first time last night (no track, just a parking lot). There was absolutely zero traction, we have a super thin coat of dust out here (looks foggy all the time but its dust) in Saudi and I guess its enough to make it feel like ice. I turned the car and it slid sideways for at least ten feet using an Orion core stock, lol. I'm going to try and at least make it driveable but I might have to invest in a v-groove type tire and see if that helps at all.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default New TC3 owner

Howdy folks,

I just traded my Schum for a used TC3 FT, because I was looking for a lower-maintenance car... I just wanted to let you know that you'll see me in this thread once in a while.

I'll read all the recent posts, but let me ask this straight: this car is box stock and in good shape, I picked it up today. Is there any mod or hopup I should install on it before I go racing, either for performance or reliability reasons?

Thanks!

Later,
Paul

Last edited by Lonestar; 11-05-2002 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: New TC3 owner

Originally posted by Lonestar

I'll read all the recent posts, but let me ask this straight: this car is box stock and in good shape. Is there any mod or hopup I should install on it before I go racing, either for performance or reliability reasons?

Thanks!

Later,
Paul
You can pretty much race the car right out of the box. No hop ups needed. I would, however, get a motor and battery alloy heat sink.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally posted by TPhalen

Shafts. make sure you have the little o-rings to take up the slop.
Tony: could you please give more info about this trick? I couldn't replace it in its context... Thanks!

Redsand: Thaks for the info... For motors, we use small computer fans here. It only sucks up a few milliamps, and keep the motor reasonably cool. However bigger heatsinks don't fit... But the fan is a great cooling device. For that battery alloy heat sink you're recommending, how is it any different than the factory blue battery holder?

Questions to all:

1) I keep reading about all the outdrives available... you guys recommend the plastic outdtrives for both stock and mod, correct? Part number 3913?

2) Is using schum blades on the UJ pins still the hot ticket to minimize diff outdrive wear?

Thanks yall... I guess questions will keep flowing in...

Later,
Paul
Old 11-05-2002, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Lonestar

Hi,

I will keep a few spare Plastic diffs and parts as spares. I use the "Blades" on all my TC3's. I have zero wear on all plastic diffs. the only thing I had to do was to chamfer the cases for clearance. and on the RRP diffs I had to lightly file the outdrives to use the blades without sanding them.

good luck with your racing!!!!!!!!!

Fakk2
Old 11-05-2002, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

My TC3 started out RTR, but before I acquired it, the previous owner had already added the threaded shocks, IRS shaft, anti-sway bars, and a few other goodies (P2K2 Pro,etc...). It's a great car. I have added the Factory Team graphite chassis, RPM ball cups, BRP front, rear, and side nerf wings, aluminum steering block w/ teflon bearings, aluminum screws, and a few other things.
...Now; I am considering the radio issue, along with the ESC, Receiver, and steering Servo. Yeah; there goes about $500 + ha!!!
I want to upgrade to the M8 (I think), Xxtra Receiver, possibly the new Novak GT7 ESC (or perhaps, the Keyence Pro), and an Airtronics 94757Z servo. Since it is approaching winter hear, I have lots of time before the 2003 racing season begins, I'm just not sure what I want to do first. For now, if we get to run in the parking lot, even 2 days a week, before it becomes simply too cold, we are lucky.

Anybody know where to find Keyence products online?

Greg

Last edited by GKHTC3; 11-05-2002 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Changed a few things and got the car driveable for now. My Dremel, calipers, etc showed up a couple of days ago (thank god, thought I'd lost them). I set the collars (threaded) as per the instructions (think it was around 3.5mm rear and 2.8 front) which actually got me just about 6mm as indicated in the instructions, just shy of actually. Also removed the sway bars. Car is pretty neutral right now, just slides a lot. Didnt realize just how dusty it was (moved on to the basket ball courts) was until I drove down and came back adjusting the steering trim. It left tracks like I was running through snow, lol. Its extremely light and thin, nasty stuff. All up in your eyes and nose.

I'm going to try the greens out back and the silvers up front next as I have no other shock oils. After that I'll try the bigger pistons (running no. 2s right now). Hopefully I can get it a little bit better. Running the Orion C compound tires with their soft inserts and extra stiff wheels.

One thing I did notice is around the time I hit top speed on the straights I wants to pull slightly to the left, doesnt seem to do it under acceleration at all though, just when I levels off. I thought maybe it was drag somewhere but I cant locate any. Didnt think it would be a toe issue since it only did it when the car topped out. Any other ideas?
Old 11-05-2002, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

madweazl

there used to be a bunch of sedan guys in england who had a thread going on the hpi forum (i am not sure that still exists) called the slippy floors forum. they ran on dirty gym floors. I guess the union rules prohibited them from getting a dust mop and cleaning it themselves. Anyway, they usually ran rally tires on their TC's to get traction. it seemed like a bit of overkill to me but they must have known what they were doing. maybe this would help.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:07 PM

madweazl

Definately try a radial type tire. I have a set of HPI super radials in standard or pro compound(not M!) and if you use the molded inserts intended for the b15-40 slicks(larger OD than 24 Rs), it will stretch the tire so that no air gap is there and limit expansion at top speed. Anyway these have worked very well in the less than ideal 'tracks' you sometimes run your car at. I would also bet that the HPI Advan radials would hook up, and I know the 21 mm x-patterns would but I would consider those as a last resort.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully more people see my car and get involved as well. Its not much fun running around by myself but I'm learning the characteristics of 4wd which will help when I get back state side. I had an RS4 and a Nitro RS4 previously but didnt run them very much at all, I raced the nitro at Revelation when they were in Pomona off of Indian Hill but it closed shortly after I got the car. The electric was actually obtained from a friend, there was rumor of touring car racing where I was for the electrics so I just traded him. Never happened though so I have very little drive time with them.

Would like to start running at SoCal and Revelation if/when they start 1:10 electrics there. My parents live up in Lake Arrowhead and its not to far to go a couple of weeks a month (about 3.5 hour drive). Miss racing terribly, last competitive track (guys werent to good at our local track down here) I raced at was the Pit Shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.