R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-21-2002, 10:36 AM   #2716
Tech Master

Default Read the post people

In this thread there is a lot of good set up help and tweaks. You guys who get on here and have not read the post are not getting the full benifit of this thread.

When you buy a new car use it as it comes!!!! The FT TC3 does not need any hop ups to go fast. Especially if your new to the hobby!!

Lem -The outdrives dont nornally break unless you hit the pipes. Maybe you should stick to a diff untill you can drive the car with out hitting the pipes. Driving with a oneway requires a different line then with a diff. If you think things are breaking with a oneway then dont even look at a locked diff. That will break a lot more

Last edited by rangulo; 10-21-2002 at 10:43 AM.
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:40 PM   #2717
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

Quote:
Originally posted by TPhalen
[B]
Typically we use THAT much steering (where the new knuckles would benefit) in hairpin or really tight turns. Even running one-ways we just couldn't get the same steering as Brian's car (which, I know, is BRIAN'S car!!!!). These front knuckles helped give more throw....this translated in more steering in tight, sharp turns where you could use more throw.
are you talking about the XXX-S Knuckles.

Also, will the Bearings from the TC3 fit the Losi Knuckles?

Does anyone have a part # for the XXX-S Knuckles and Bearings?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:47 PM   #2718
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Mike F - The part number for the XXX-S knuckles is A-1224 (standard material, 0 degree). Just get the 0 degree unit because the knuckles come with the carriers and you dont need the carriers. The bearings for the FTTC3 will fit, but you may want to use an Xacto knife and trim a little of the edge from each side before inserting the bearing (without trimming, it may be a tight fit).
Old 10-21-2002, 12:51 PM   #2719
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

awesome, thanks Fred
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 08:04 PM   #2720
Tech Adept

Default One-way outdrive

Hi lem2,

Refer to what you have post about the one-way drive, I am really experienced it few days ago. This pair of outdrive is expensive and easy to break. I have a set of spare one-way outdrive for MR4-TC and have head that you have modified the outdrive to fit in TC3. Would you pls. help me with send me the details on the modification. Thanks!

My e-mail address is :

Andes_NG@cathaypacific.com.

Thanks !!
mr4-tc sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:04 PM   #2721
Tech Master

Default One way advice

Listen Yokomo makes a one way for the Tc3 and it is supposed to be better. I use the new silver colored oneway and it works great. Remember if it is not made correctly it will bind and use up all of the advantage the tc3 has in its super free drive train.
Good luck
Old 10-22-2002, 12:14 AM   #2722
Tech Master

Hi Guys. Greetings from Malta.

FRONT ONE WAYS.

I've seen plenty of the one way out drives go, not on our cars but on customer cars.

Indeed they do go with either bashing, or violent acceleration when running mod. If you ride a kerb and a wheel lifts, when it lands again there is a tremendous force on the outdrive. That's usually when they snap.

My son has run a TC3 successfully for 3 years. He rarely uses one ways but I have seen plenty of customer ones go.

I have had plenty of experience with MR4 one ways. The original factory item had weak bearings and that's where that one failed. They have now replaced it with one with beefier bearings and this one has been no trouble at all. I have had one installed in my car for the last 6 months, without any bother.

The reason I mention MR4 one ways in the TC3 page is that I have adapted and fitted TC3 one ways on MR4s, and MR4 one ways on TC3s. The weak point with the TC3 one is the drive cups. The weak point with the MR4 one was the bearings. You cannot fit MR4 drive cups on a TC3 unit because the bearings are different sizes, so the only other possibility is to adapt acomplete MR4 one to fit, as I did.

We had another good weekend, son Josh winning the second round of our National championship too, with his TC3, and I had a good day too, winning Stock with my MR4.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:37 AM   #2723
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

lem2: maybe u should have gone with the Yokomo made one way for the TC3 as mentioned by rangulo. in fact Pitshop has them in stock. they're supposed to be more durable but im not quite sure what part has actually been improved/strengthened ... dunno if its the bearings or the drive cups, or both. there's actually nothing wrong with your one way unit, they're really fragile. a tap on the board or as johnbull mentioned a wheel lifting of the ground then slamming back onto the pavement puts a ton of stress on the outdirves causing them to snap. others also like greg and abba would have their alum cvds cut cleanly in half. i personally dont like running one ways on the tracks that we run on like Capitol Speedway and IVO. the low traction and tight layouts (with all those hairpins? yikes!) make using a diff more sensible. a diff lets me me take different lines if i need to - especially when trying to pass in traffick! but if was going to run in Fiesta or Montalban, i would defenitely use a one way for those fast sweeping corners. .... but like i said, its a personal thing.

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/

Last edited by ROBORAT; 10-22-2002 at 12:40 AM.
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:28 AM   #2724
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

If their like the old Yokomo one ways then I would avoid it, those were crap.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:29 AM   #2725
Tech Adept

Default One-way drive

Hi johnbull,

I have some questions on your suggest. would you pls. help since if it is a way to go, I really interested in.

1. How is the outdrive bearings(the one which hold the one way drive) for the one way drive? Are the one used in MR4-TC is same as TC3.

2. It is neccessary to replace the front Universal swing shaft. It seems that the one for TC3 is too big to fit in the MR4-TC outdrive. Does it require certain modification ( change the MIP)?

Thanks a lot!
mr4-tc sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:44 AM   #2726
Tech Master

Hi Guys. Greetings from Malta.

ONE WAYS.

There are two main differences between Yoke and ASSO one ways......the size of the inner Sprat bearings (the one way bearings), and the size of the outer bearings which locate the diff in the diff case.

The original Yoke one way had smaller Sprat bearings and smaller, metric size outer bearings to the TC3.

The new and stronger Yoke one way has much bigger and beefier Sprat bearings, and of course the same metric outer bearings.

To fit to a TC3 you will simply have to shim up to get the TC3 bearings to fit, then play with lateral location of the diff crownwheel by machining off the flange till the crown wheel and pinion mesh correctly.

It isn't a difficult job, but it does need patience and accuracy.

You will end up with a one way that has bigger one way bearings, and bigger and stronger outdrive cups.

I believe someone mentioned a Yoke made one way for TC3s. I haven't heard of it but perhaps that would be an even easier solution, especially if it makes use of the beefier Sprat bearings fitted on the Mk 2 type Yoke one ways sold for MR4s.

Good luck.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:29 AM   #2727
Tech Master

Default Yoke Oneway

Yes yokomo does make one ways for the TC3. They are beefier but not as free as the Associated oneway. I dont know what to advise becuase breaking one ways is not easy. You really have to bang the pipes hard and never have let go of the throttle. Maybe driving with caution and when you think your going to hit the pipe let off the gas.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:34 AM   #2728
Tech Master

Default Tc3 -Losi suspension

I have been using the losi hubs on one of my cars and the standard hubs on the other. In the rear I have not noticed any diffenrece other than taking away or adding toe in or out. The fronts I use beacuse the associated hubs tend to strip at the king pins.

What are people using both on carpet and asphalt.....
Old 10-22-2002, 10:12 AM   #2729
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Right now I am running the Losi rear hub carriers because my 28mm foams were running very close if not rubbing against the associated hubs. The Losi gives more clearance. I haven't noticed any difference in handleing though.
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:00 AM   #2730
Tech Master

Default Losi hubs

Are you guys using the 2-0 block and adding or taking away toe in.