Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

How do you get the bearings out without ruining them?
Old 09-01-2002, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Med grip asphault set up

I am building a ft tc3 this coming week and I need a good starting setup for stock with a one way or locked diff, rubber tire, med grip smooth asphault. Any help would be most appreciated. Art
Old 09-01-2002, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Default Freeing up tc3

Also, what is everyone doing to free up the drivetrain besides the usual grease removal from the bearings and massaging the tranny cases. I want to hit the ground running this weekend. Thanks again, Art
Old 09-01-2002, 08:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

johnbull: i used the protoform stratus 2.0 last saturday at our weekly club race. i liked it a lot! it has just a tad less rear traction due to probably (im just guessing here coz i aint no aeordynamics expert) the narrower rear wing. also the rear fender is cut slightly lower than the original stratus thus may be a cause for a bit more rear lift. to be honest i was expecting the body to have a much looser rear end but to my surprise when i put it on, the car felt perfect. Maybe this is a good complement to the locked diff set-up. lemme know what you think of it when you try it out. overall its still a stable/fairly neutral body shell that we've become used to as with the original stratus.

ps. i was using the original stratus prior to last saturday's race so thats the basis of my comparison.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Art: For a good one-way setup start with the Worlds setup, which is the one listed in the instruction manual. For a good locked-diff setup start with Barry Baker's Reedy Race/ROAR On-Road Nationals setup. You will need to download the latter from AE's website. You'll need either Adobe Acrobat installed or some other type of app that can read PDF's.

Fred Hubbard
Old 09-01-2002, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

MUFFIN: the Reedy Race set-up of barry baker should be a good starting point. with regards to freeing up the drivetrain, i picked this up from josh cyrul at trinity tech talk --- try playing around with the shimming of the the diffs and input shafts. find the most free moving mesh by shimming the diff gears left to right and the input shafts front to back. i still use the same number of shims in the gear boxes but my input shaft in front is moved slightly back (just enuff that it dosent jam the input drive into the shaft). also, be sure you dont over tighten the bearing holder located near the spur gear. hope that helps.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Muffin,

TonyP has good setups for all variations on CompetitionX. Any more, it's the first place I go for setups. I have found that they are more current than AE's site.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Spongebob,
The one-way unit is hollow throughout and all of the bearings are pressed into it on the ends. I took a flat-headed piece of metal that was slightly smaller than the inner diameter of the one-way, but would press evenly on the outside portion of the bearings, and put the one-way on top of a vice and slowly tapped them out. To put the bearings back in, I simply used the vice to press them into place as you only put the two in each end, snug together. I'm actually going to visit one of the industrial bearing vendors in my area, like Precision Industries or Motion Industries, to see if they sell a similar sized one-way bearing but for heavier applications. Then I could feel more confident in the bearings holding the power of the lower wind modifieds since the bearings will no longer be doubled up in the same direction in the one-way.

Greg
Old 09-02-2002, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Firstly thank you all for your help.

One question that has not been answered is this.

Would it be too risky to use the plastic diffs with a locked up front unit. There is going to be a hell of a load on them.

When I tried a locked plastic diff on the rear it didn't do half a dozen laps before breaking. I would imagine the front is going to have even more load.

I hope to try the locked diff arrangement this evening. Will let you know the outcome.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Default tips

Thanks alot guys. That helps alot. I will let you know how it turns out after this weekend. Art
Old 09-02-2002, 09:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default rotating mass

looking for ideas on lowering the rotating weight in my tc3
for quiker throtle response
Old 09-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Isn't the TC3 already one of the quickest out of the gate!?!

I guess you could get the composite CVD's and lightened outdrives if you don't already have them.

Maybe an aluminum shaft? I would think most of the rotating mass is in the wheels/tires/inserts.

Maybe an aluminum spur carrier thingy?

I ran the locked diff this weekend for the first time on asphault. Awesome out of the corners.

I ran it with the center one way (forgot to bring the diff) and it ran awesome. I think the locked diff helps with acceleration. Coule easily shoot past the Missions and Losi's in the corners!

I ran the Juho guys Euro Champ setup for med grip bumpy asphault. Found at http://home.swipnet.se/airwide/ Awesome! I was a little concerned with the odd droop settings, but it worked.

Last edited by Dingus; 09-02-2002 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Low Turn Motors

I was looking to get an 8 turn motor to use when messing around. However, I am concerned about overheating the motors and/or EVX. I live in CO and would generally be running in 80-90 degree weather. Should I be concerned? What options do I have to help keep it cool? Maybe I shouldn't go as low as 8 turns? Comments are appreciated
Old 09-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

you can you the heat sink to keep the heat down and a heat sink on your speedo. If your speedo can handle it go for it
Old 09-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

John bull-
From what i heard Hara was using TC3 plastic diff parts in his HPI prototype at the Reedy USA. He was also supposed to be blowing out diffs with regularity. Maybe Tony Phalen can comment on this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.