R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2002, 07:36 PM   #1906
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes. The Reedy Race. Outdoor at Tamiya USA's track. Killer track, great traction, VERY fun layout, yet challenging enough to make it difficult to pass (except for the first turn), and GREAT announcing from Scotty Ernst!!!! Scotty made the whole event very fun and exciting to watch. My vote for Tamiya next year for the Reedy Race, as well as Scotty for announcer!!! If every big event had an announcer as enthusiastic as Scotty, every big event would be SO much fun to attend.

As an example, as I went out to watch the Invitational race after my 3rd A-Main, I had some people congratulate me on the win, and said that that was a fantastic drive...and then they proceeded to tell me that it was so much more enjoyable and exciting with Scotty announcing. He made it seem more like a real racing event, and that they pretty much forgot it was 'toy cars' running around a track. hahahahahah After I politely corrected them that they aren't really 'toy cars', I had to full-heartedly agree with them about the announcing. I was IN the race and I wanted to stop and watch...heh heh
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs

Last edited by TPhalen; 05-27-2002 at 07:40 PM.
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 11:09 PM   #1907
Super Moderator

I know what you mean, Tony, Scotty is a BIG reason why I'm willing to drive 800 miles once a year to the Novak US Touring Car Champinships at his track in Milwaukee. I always have a blast when I go(even when I get blown away by the factory guys).....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 02:24 PM   #1908
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Cracker78

Checking out the newly posted Barry Baker setups on Associated's site, I noticed that the suspension arms now have 2 shock mounting holes. Anyone know what prompted this addition (other than 'more things to adjust') ? Is there anything else different with these arms? When will they be available to us normal people
Cracker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 03:14 PM   #1909
Tech Elite

The extra holes in the arms were added to help adjust the front shocks. This extra hole will allow you to move the bottom of the shock out, changing the leverage on the arm.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
Old 05-28-2002, 05:14 PM   #1910
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Are these new arms available yet?

-B
BBSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 09:30 PM   #1911
Tech Initiate

Tony- When using the rear tower up front are you spacing it up at all? With blue springs I had a hard time getting dowm to 5mm ride hieght with the collars all the way up.
Thanks,
James
James P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:27 AM   #1912
Tech Elite

If you are going to use the rear tower in front, you will definitely need the new arms. This keeps the shock in the right position, and helps to lower the front of the car. With ONLY the front tower, it is difficult to lower the car under 5mm.

On a side note, I have uploaded Baker's Reedy Race Setup, his Worlds setup, and his carpet setup for the US Indoor Touring Car Champs. I will have my setup up there later this week.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
Old 05-29-2002, 07:44 AM   #1913
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I need some help on gearing! I run 64 pitch gear..and not sure what kind of gearing I should use for the car.. I use Stock P2K2 and also..some mod... 8X2, 10x 2, and 12 x2 any one can help me??
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 08:00 AM   #1914
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Airwide Send a message via MSN to Airwide

Quote:
Originally posted by superk
I need some help on gearing! I run 64 pitch gear..and not sure what kind of gearing I should use for the car.. I use Stock P2K2 and also..some mod... 8X2, 10x 2, and 12 x2 any one can help me??
It's very difficult to recommend a gearing without knowing what type of track it is and how large it is. And you gear a 8 turn much shorter than a stock motor I believe.

Regards,
Airwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:16 AM   #1915
dw
Tech Adept

Gear the car so you reach max speed 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down the longest straight. This should get you roughly in the ball park. You then need to fine tune according to lap times. Shouldn't be more than a couple of teeth different on 64dp.

If in doubt gear on the low side (small pinion) to start with as overgearing the motor will hurt more than undergearing it.

Best thing to do is ask what ratios the people at your track are running. It is impossible for people to tell you what ratio to run without knowing the track. For instance I run 7 teeth more on the pinion(48 dp) at a couple of local tarmac tracks to what I run on a slightly smaller indoor track.
More than enough difference to nuke a motor if got wrong.

Remember that if you increase the timing on the otor you will need to use a smaller pinion to compensate.
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:26 PM   #1916
Tech Apprentice

Did I miss what the end result was supposed to be by putting the rear shock tower on the front of the car? I remember hearing about this a few months ago, but I don't think I ever found an explanation about what it was supposed to give you that the car wasn't currently doing? what are the effects good and/or bad?

E
mystererc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:41 AM   #1917
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Tony Phalen: what's the purpose of using the rear shock tower in the front? remove front traction?
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 06:07 AM   #1918
Tech Elite

A long time ago....a LONG time ago, I broke a front tower on my car, and didn't have a replacement. My buddy and I talked it over and decided to try a rear on the front, just to see what would happen. Turns out, with a diff, it gives the car alot more steering. The only problem was that you couldn't lower the front of car below 5mm. We sent the info to the team (they were at the 2000 Worlds...I think it was the Worlds) and they tried it, and liked it, but because they couldn't get the front to go below 5mm, the rear-tower-on-the-front was scrapped. Now, here, at the 2002 Reedy Race with no one-ways (dual-diffs), this came back up. Running the rear tower on the front gave us alot more steering, but, again, you couldn't lower the front of the car below 5mm. Enter the new front arms with the extra hole. The new hole basically makes the shock position the same as if you ran the standard tower with the standard arm hole, and you can lower the car below 5mm.

It makes the suspension (front and rear) symmetrical, and puts the leverage farther out on the arm. It's not totally necessary to run this setup with dual-diffs. The setup we came up with using the standard tower (at the Reedy Race) was comparable, this just felt a bit faster.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
Old 05-30-2002, 07:52 AM   #1919
Tech Adept

Tony,
What is the part # for the new front arm?
racerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 12:31 PM   #1920
Tech Elite

Don't know yet. They may not come out until all the 'old' arms have been distributed. Or not. You could call AE and ask them if the new arms are going to be coming out, and when.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs