Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default F104 X1 First and Subsequent Runs

Hi All,

Here's the video from yesterday's and today's runs with the F104 X1. For the most part, the videos are unedited. However, I had to cut a bunch out to fit my youtube video length limit.

Thanks to Kevin, Mark, and Brian for filming.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Not exactly dialed out of the box, but it is certainly a work in progress. I need to digest info gathered from yesterday's and today's setup changes and sort out what I'll try next week. Hmm...need to figure this out.

Last edited by rtypec; 07-30-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

great vidio, have you noticed any differance with the counter weight on the wheel
Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

can some one way the counter weight for me who owns the X1.
my intensions are i will spin one op on the lathe until i can find one to buy

thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vyger
Actually the matt black F60 is mine. I used Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear (matte finish over coat for lexan)

Here's a link.
http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...lear/index.htm

That just looks sweet... gives me an idea for the future

Anyway, I think I've settled on a early '90's Ferrari scheme for mine when it arrives (a bit boring, but well, the shop didn't have all the paints, haha!) so red with black wings...

I'll save the pucker job for my painter... he won't know whats hit him.. haha!

Cheers
Ed
Old 07-31-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

which is the largest rear wing to suit scale according to the F104
To get the most downforce rear
Old 07-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by connyw
which is the largest rear wing to suit scale according to the F104
To get the most downforce rear
likely an F104W wing. but since those come with wide tires youd end up with lots of high speed understeer (ask me how i know)
Old 07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kb525
likely an F104W wing. but since those come with wide tires youd end up with lots of high speed understeer (ask me how i know)
How do you know?

In all seriousness, it depends on the body that you're running. If you're using one of the older bodies, then you might want to look into the wings from a Lotus 107B...the front and rear wings have the most downforce out of all of Tamiya's one piece wings. If you want to go even further with a rear wing, you can use the wing from the Ferrari 412. You can adjust the angle of the wing to the point where it is nearly vertical, stalls out, and becomes a barn door dragging down the straight...

...but then again, I don't know.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-f103wings.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Anyone looked over the TRG site recently?

Brabham BT45B shell for the F104W.

Looks awesome
Old 07-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
great vidio, have you noticed any differance with the counter weight on the wheel
I honestly did not notice the counter weight on the car. I was primarily concerned about directional stability (quick left/right transitions) and rear traction from mid to corner exit while getting on the throttle. Rear tires seem to have excellenct side and forward bite...but not both at the same time need to work on that.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rtypec
How do you know?
couple of pages back i discussed my own aero mods. started by adding 1/4 inch lip to the rear wing. the extra downforce was noticed as the car gained understeer in high speed slalom. This prompted me to add front downforce by making a mini front difuser. now it tries to spin out on high speed slalom.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

I honestly did not notice the counter weight on the car. I was primarily concerned about directional stability (quick left/right transitions) and rear traction from mid to corner exit while getting on the throttle. Rear tires seem to have excellenct side and forward bite...but not both at the same time need to work on that.
no probs thanks for the info good luck with the devolpment , i done some testing with my F1 yeterday my self we have heaps of rain and has washed what traction there was away but good fun none the less..

i remeber reading some where that some people use the F103 steering hubs is this to make steering smoother and not so aggressive
Old 07-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

How do you know?

In all seriousness, it depends on the body that you're running. If you're using one of the older bodies, then you might want to look into the wings from a Lotus 107B...the front and rear wings have the most downforce out of all of Tamiya's one piece wings. If you want to go even further with a rear wing, you can use the wing from the Ferrari 412. You can adjust the angle of the wing to the point where it is nearly vertical, stalls out, and becomes a barn door dragging down the straight...

...but then again, I don't know.

Can I ask where you might have come across that rear wing for the Lotus 107b. I'm in the process of building one up, and the wing that is similiar from TRG is a little too wide for my liking.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aussierevo
Can I ask where you might have come across that rear wing for the Lotus 107b. I'm in the process of building one up, and the wing that is similiar from TRG is a little too wide for my liking.

Cheers
A year or two ago, Speedtech brought a bunch to the track one weekend. You may try pinging them (Stitchy here on the forums) to see if they have any left. Also, you can try Tamiya directly or as a last resort, you can try to find a Tamiya F103 Type C body set part number 84070

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
i remeber reading some where that some people use the F103 steering hubs is this to make steering smoother and not so aggressive
I believe those are the 3.5mm offset steering uprights. I put a set of those as well as the heavy weight post on this morning. I have never tried the offset steering uprights on an F104 before, so it'll be interesting to see if they work as intended.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So.... I may be crazy, but I think the F104 pushes a lot. On a prepped high traction track, it seems like it has a lot of trouble just turning in and taking a set. What springs are you guys running the in the front at the moment?

-Korey
Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
So.... I may be crazy, but I think the F104 pushes a lot. On a prepped high traction track, it seems like it has a lot of trouble just turning in and taking a set. What springs are you guys running the in the front at the moment?

-Korey
Hi Korey, mine has the same feeling. Understeer going in and through the first third of the corner with the front really never taking a set unless I trail brake and while others drove the car, I watched it at track level and seemed like the front end just washes out at times. I was trail braking to tighten up certain corners in the later half of the video I posted. I tried gold springs and it helped a little bit. Also adding front camber helped...but not as much as I hoped. I'm okay with understeer going in because I can correct it with braking, but once I figure out how to plant the rear end on exit, I will start playing with the front end (ride height, springs, dampening grease, geometries, etc.). I've heard of people putting weight up front but I'll use that as a last resort hehe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.