Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

attached are pics directly from above... the battery fits perfectly center and i had to modify the battery holder a bit as well..

Alfie good catch i fitted those ball ends now
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-dscf4212.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-dscf4213.jpg  
Old 07-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben.C
I can't find anything more versatile than this....

Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I wish that nut was set into the chassis
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

i ran my F104 yesterday, using tamiya sport tuned motor, front tyre seemed wear out very fast.
but the handling was good out of the box.
wondering how is the handling using hard type foam (hop up option, forgot the part number). have you guys tried it?
or maybe rubber tyre??
Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

Originally Posted by krat
i ran my F104 yesterday, using tamiya sport tuned motor, front tyre seemed wear out very fast.
but the handling was good out of the box.
wondering how is the handling using hard type foam (hop up option, forgot the part number). have you guys tried it?
or maybe rubber tyre??
what surface were you running on? concrete or asphalt? sounds as if you might have a bit of understeer...

i ran my F-104 at our local track which is an indoor asphalt track and the wear on my front tires was minimal... i only added a bit of toe in to the car plus a little bit of traction compound to hook the car up to the track...

by the way, my motor is the Tamiya lightly-tuned 25T motor. and i was using a Tamiya 1600 racing pack on its first run and an Orion 3800 Lipo on my next run...

just my 2 cents...
Old 07-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

oh i forgot to mention that, it was on med-high grip asphalt surface, tropical country, grip was great.
i used the box setup, as i said preivously the handling was great.
it is just the wear on the front tyres.
after 4-5 lipo packs, the front tyre diameter was 5.6 mm, rear was 6.2 mm.
maybe the motor, lightly tuned is slightly slower than sport tuned motor if i'm not mistaken.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default Lipo packs

Does someone know if the Lipo packs from LRP fits the car?I am talking about the 5300 28C from them.

I saw that the Trakpower fitted with some little mod a few posts ago just wondering if someone have tried.

Also I am planning to go for the F104 in the next month, we are going to have the Formula category back in our club using cam motors, just wondering with this type of motor which electronics to use, I have LRP on my TC but I think to run with cam motors the really don't need something so expensive, so just wondering if you guys could give some advice also for the servo, I have a digital one on my pan car but it is the small size does it fit?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Ran mine today with the Tamiya brushless 12T and lipo boy is it fast!!!! to fast for our track.

Killed the front tyres in 8 runs they are very soft. only took 2mm off the rears. Anyone know if the B tyres are harder?

The track is tarmac and i would say medium grip and T/C's get 3-4 weeks out of there tyres

Alan
Old 07-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

From the pictures, I think you will need to be cautious about the insulation tape that you applied onto the upper deck.

I'll see if I can squeeze the wires like yours to fit to my F104. Seems pretty tight for the plug to go under the upper deck.
Alfie

Originally Posted by dsyed1
attached are pics directly from above... the battery fits perfectly center and i had to modify the battery holder a bit as well..

Alfie good catch i fitted those ball ends now
Old 07-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Orion 3800

I was able to get an Orion 3800 to fit. I also changed the nut on the bottom of the Chassis to a flat one. I dremelled a notch on both sides if the top plate to accommodate bullet plugs. I am trying to get an IP5000 to fit, but I am finding that the nut on the underside of the top plate that holds the antenna mount is in the way. Any suggestions on another location to mount the antenna holder? I will post pics tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by svines1972
I was able to get an Orion 3800 to fit. I also changed the nut on the bottom of the Chassis to a flat one. I dremelled a notch on both sides if the top plate to accommodate bullet plugs. I am trying to get an IP5000 to fit, but I am finding that the nut on the underside of the top plate that holds the antenna mount is in the way. Any suggestions on another location to mount the antenna holder? I will post pics tomorrow.
try to countersunk the screw hole and use countersunk screw instead of button head to mount the antenna holder.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by krat
oh i forgot to mention that, it was on med-high grip asphalt surface, tropical country, grip was great.
i used the box setup, as i said preivously the handling was great.
it is just the wear on the front tyres.
after 4-5 lipo packs, the front tyre diameter was 5.6 mm, rear was 6.2 mm.
maybe the motor, lightly tuned is slightly slower than sport tuned motor if i'm not mistaken.
If you have a lot of wear in front, you might be overworking the tires
Did you consider traction compound on the front or softer compounds ?(although at this point, not much choice on f104 wheels)
Old 07-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Patriiick
Did you consider traction compound on the front or softer compounds ?(although at this point, not much choice on f104 wheels)
I thought that traction compound would worsen the tire wear, since it is suppose to give more grip?

or it is suppose to give more grip and have better tire wear?

now i am confused..
Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It supposed to soften the foam so that the tires would work better for that first few minutes.

The setup is a combination of the friction plate, damper, to find the balanced setup for front and rear.

Alfie

Originally Posted by Arahawak
I thought that traction compound would worsen the tire wear, since it is suppose to give more grip?

or it is suppose to give more grip and have better tire wear?

now i am confused..
Old 07-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Patriiick
Tire choices?
http://d-drivesportsenglish.com/inde...ort=20a&page=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.