Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I should add a Thank You to Hiro.

That was the tip he gave me in Vegas, and it transformed an un-driveable car, into an easy to drive F1 car.

I didn't have any time to tune that car, so it was nice to have it work after a few simple adjustments like that.
Left it that way the rest of the week, decided it would be better just getting used to driving it the way it was after that.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Hold the car up in the air and loosen the center T plate screw, that's gonna add droop. Max droop will be with the center screw removed, just be sure to glue the o ring (or a pink foam for the shock) back in place or the ride height will drop a bunch and the belly will drag. For even more droop you can unscrew the shock shaft end to extend the overall length.
The X1 suggests putting an o ring under the piston to limit the overall length so unscrewing the shock end will allow you to get some of that length back.
Try going to 2000w on the damper, even wipe it off a bit after working it a little, just barely noticeable is how I run my side damper.
I also run soft spring with very little preload on the center shock.
Thanks for that Cuda. Would have never figured that out. I have that center screw pretty loose, just barely tight, but I may remove it completely. For the spring, I wish I knew which one they consider "soft" in the kit. I have three and no-where in the manual do they tell you which one is which. I have the medium gold springs up front...they tell you what those are.

Issue I have with this car right now is that it doesn't want to turn in at all. It is increadibly tight. If I let off power and get the weight to transfer, it will turn real well and, if I allow too much transfer, she'll get very loose. Getting back on the power she also is loose. Want to netralize this car and get it's handling sorted out. I figured it was because I'm running it on REALLY bad pavement...increadibly dirty and increadibly rough...so I'll wait and see how it does this weekend at the Toys for Tots race in HB. Hope to see some of you down there. Look for me at the Force 10 Racing booth.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nrtv20
What car has the better aerodynamics package? The Ferrari or McLaren?
What is the best body/wing combo?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nrtv20
What is the best body/wing combo?
I can't speak to the McLaren, because I have not run it on the car.
But the F60 seems to be a bit more responsive than the Pro body, in saying that I have not run them back to back
Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default F104X1 question.

Hello guys, I recently purchased a F104X1 kit in order start racing this class, I would like to know what are the recommended hop ups for this particular model during the assembly as well as for better all around performance, car is going to be raced on asphalt.

I noticed it comes with a steel shaft was wondering if maybe a CF one would come in handy?

I also noticed people tend to install a heavy pivot post, does the car comes with a metal black one or is it plastic/carbon reinforced?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arix
Hello guys, I recently purchased a F104X1 kit in order start racing this class, I would like to know what are the recommended hop ups for this particular model during the assembly as well as for better all around performance, car is going to be raced on asphalt.

I noticed it comes with a steel shaft was wondering if maybe a CF one would come in handy?

I also noticed people tend to install a heavy pivot post, does the car comes with a metal black one or is it plastic/carbon reinforced?
Rod Canare did a build up of this car a while back , just to check out...

http://uf1series.com/_sub_pages/2011/F104X.html
Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

That car is the hop up!

Steel axle will help with rear traction on asphalt and will be the only axle you will probably ever need, very durable.
Get the Pit Shimizu 571 and 572 tires and everything else will be minor tuning aids.
Light lube on the side damper like 2000 diff lube, softest spring on the center shock and center screw on the T plate very loose or even removed (glue o ring in place tho) will all help with rear traction on asphalt.
From there you may only need to start working back in the other direction to regain steering.
It's gonna be a great car for you, good luck.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The X1 comes with a plastic pivot post, not sure if the metal is better but I tend to think that the extra weight has to help. I run the steel axle for the same purpose, extra weight, tried the CF and just didn't seem like the rear was as planted. Their all good cars but if you know where you will race and their is an F1 class now talk to the drivers. you need to find out what tires are working best for them. Tires are one of your biggest tuning options on the F1 car, no matter which one.

Dave
Old 12-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the reply guys, Where I am going to race the guys most of them have F103, F103RM, and 3 F104 pro. A friend has a F104 and uses the pit shimizu, he told me the difference was night and day and since he sticks with those.

I noticed that the car comes with a carbon/plastic engine mount, is it a good idea to change it for the metal one as well as the metal pivot post? not sure if performance is going to be lost and currently concerned with the durability of the stock part.

Also since I have never built an electric rc just 1/8GT nitro. I would like to know if it comes with all the grease and stuff needed to build the diffs...

Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Loosen the side roll up as much as possible, and add some pod droop.

This made a big difference at the iic race.
by loosening the side roll, i would assume that you are talking about the dampening tube. i have run with it off. i have also narrowed the t plate trying to free it up that way as well. i have tried loosening the center screw, i will try that some more. and i will lengthen the shock as well

Originally Posted by robk
Rubber or foam?
rubber.

thanks guys
Old 12-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

kit has the supplies, metal mount and pivot will be beneficial.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by al dente
by loosening the side roll, i would assume that you are talking about the dampening tube. i have run with it off. i have also narrowed the t plate trying to free it up that way as well. i have tried loosening the center screw, i will try that some more. and i will lengthen the shock as well

rubber.

thanks guys
Take the screw out completely and use a shock bladder foam glued to the top of the t plate.

Rubber is kind of weird, the tires are pretty heavy compared to foam and do stuff that you would not think would happen compared with a WGT or 1/12. I have noticed the same as you that the car is easier to diff out. I think this may be partially due to the fact that rubber loses traction quicker, and the rotating mass is higher.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Wanted to ask if a hard case lipo with the following dimensions will fit on a F104X1?
Dimensions: 137.5mm x 25.5mm x 46.5mm (5.4" x 1" x 1.8")

This is the pack: http://www.venom-group.com/Store/LiP...rdcse-ROAR-UNI
Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Wanted to ask if a hard case lipo with the following dimensions will fit on a F104X1?
Dimensions: 137.5mm x 25.5mm x 46.5mm (5.4" x 1" x 1.8")

This is the pack: http://www.venom-group.com/Store/LiP...rdcse-ROAR-UNI
Any particular reason you are looking at a 5600mah battery?
That should keep your F1 running for a loooooong time.
Is runtime what you are after?
Several of us have been running 3800mah "shorty" batteries to allow for lighter weight and the ability to move the weight forward or back and are easily making runs of well over our 10 minutes required for Ultimate F1 races.
I'm not sure of the dimensions but the 5000mah square packs are a pretty tight fit but work in the 104 so I'd guess that the 5600 would be questionable and in my opinion unnecessary for extended runtime and especially unnecessary due to the added weight.
Somethings to consider.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is what you need.
rsector.com
If you are in the states go here, f1paintlab.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_15&produ cts_id=52
Contact BP Shadow in this forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.