R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #1396
Tech Regular
 
zpmhinojosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reno,NV
Posts: 262
Send a message via AIM to zpmhinojosa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpmhinojosa View Post
I just got this servo. I'm a hopeful, I'm gonna do the hand work and switch back the the original 104 front, because this didn't happen hours before I made the switch. Man, I have alot to learn!
Here it is, did the work, no change! SO THANKS TO THE SERVO GUYS!!! You were right. Servo is dust. Unless, it can be re-built?



Now I put in a futaba, it's old, but no issues. So, now I might put back the 103 front and re-test it...
zpmhinojosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #1397
Tech Fanatic
 
fat500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Boca Raton, florida
Posts: 927
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

I have a dx3s and I run 35% expo in the steering. This is the single best adjustment you can make for the car. It was the difference btwn my 103 and 104. 104 is faster now that is dialed. If their is any question as to which car is better..have you seen DJ run his f104?
Expo will smooth out the car so you can push it harder.
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #1398
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 3,940
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
I have a dx3s and I run 35% expo in the steering. This is the single best adjustment you can make for the car. It was the difference btwn my 103 and 104. 104 is faster now that is dialed. If their is any question as to which car is better..have you seen DJ run his f104?
Expo will smooth out the car so you can push it harder.
Wow, -35%?!?! Although, that's what I thought would need to be done for the F104 and it's chassis design. I'm putting my F104 on the track this weekend for the first time so steering exponential was something I was planning to play around with. I normally don't like going beyond -20% for 1:12 cause sometimes you can get dialed out too if you rely too much on the radio settings, but again with the F104's chassis design negative steering exp is definitely a must.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #1399
Tech Regular
 
zpmhinojosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reno,NV
Posts: 262
Send a message via AIM to zpmhinojosa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
I have a dx3s and I run 35% expo in the steering. This is the single best adjustment you can make for the car. It was the difference btwn my 103 and 104. 104 is faster now that is dialed. If their is any question as to which car is better..have you seen DJ run his f104?
Expo will smooth out the car so you can push it harder.
Hey fat,

Here's what's goin on with me controller wise, it's a Traxxxas 27mhz am digital Top Qualifier, so it's hardly fancy. The other issue is I'm still learning the termonology (newb). Don't take this wrong, but I wish I knew what you guys were talkin about. I want to learn this $#!^. This is why I come here, to seek R/C knowledge from people who know what the're talkin about. I'm sure I'm about to get schooled right abouuuuut now!
zpmhinojosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #1400
Tech Elite
 
Greg Sharpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Snowbird Nationals
Posts: 3,211
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpmhinojosa View Post
Hey fat,

Here's what's goin on with me controller wise, it's a Traxxxas 27mhz am digital Top Qualifier, so it's hardly fancy. The other issue is I'm still learning the termonology (newb). Don't take this wrong, but I wish I knew what you guys were talkin about. I want to learn this $#!^. This is why I come here, to seek R/C knowledge from people who know what the're talkin about. I'm sure I'm about to get schooled right abouuuuut now!
It's all god bro. The "exponential" adjustment for the steering servo, in this example, allows you to adjust how far the servo turns in relation to how far you turned the wheel, but the key here is that the servo will turn in a non-linear fashion.

Here's two examples to give you some perspective.

A radio without "expo"...when you turn the wheel 1/2 way, the servo also turns 1/2 way. When you continue turning the wheel to full lock, the servo also continues turning to full lock.


A radio with expo ...in this example of a twitchy F1 car, you'd set the expo to a negative number (-35% for Fat500). When you turn the wheel half way, the servo would turn a bit less than that. For explanations sake, lets say it's equal to that 35%. So the wheel was turned 50%, but the servo only turned 35%. That makes the car steer less, and thus looks and handles less twitchy. But to finish this example you need to continue turning the wheel all the way to full lock at 100%. Since the servo only moved through 35% of it's travel so far, it has to play catch up and move the other 65% in order to meet the wheel at 100% at the same moment in time. The tires still turn the same amount at full lock, but with negative expo, there's no longer a 1:1 corelation between how far your turn the wheel and how far the tires actually turn (until you reach full lock).

Anybody still awake?
__________________
If only endurance racing was a thing.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #1401
Tech Elite
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,270
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpmhinojosa View Post
Hey fat,

Here's what's goin on with me controller wise, it's a Traxxxas 27mhz am digital Top Qualifier, so it's hardly fancy. The other issue is I'm still learning the termonology (newb). Don't take this wrong, but I wish I knew what you guys were talkin about. I want to learn this $#!^. This is why I come here, to seek R/C knowledge from people who know what the're talkin about. I'm sure I'm about to get schooled right abouuuuut now!
you wont get schooled or flamed unless you ask a really dumb question, or ask the same dumb question more than once.
There aren't many dumb questions, but there are a few
__________________
I'll hit the brakes he'll go right by
http://f1rclab.com
http://f1rclab.mybigcommerce.com
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #1402
Tech Elite
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,270
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
It's all god bro. The "exponential" adjustment for the steering servo, in this example, allows you to adjust how far the servo turns in relation to how far you turned the wheel, but the key here is that the servo will turn in a non-linear fashion.

Here's two examples to give you some perspective.

A radio without "expo"...when you turn the wheel 1/2 way, the servo also turns 1/2 way. When you continue turning the wheel to full lock, the servo also continues turning to full lock.


A radio with expo ...in this example of a twitchy F1 car, you'd set the expo to a negative number (-35% for Fat500). When you turn the wheel half way, the servo would turn a bit less than that. For explanations sake, lets say it's equal to that 35%. So the wheel was turned 50%, but the servo only turned 35%. That makes the car steer less, and thus looks and handles less twitchy. But to finish this example you need to continue turning the wheel all the way to full lock at 100%. Since the servo only moved through 35% of it's travel so far, it has to play catch up and move the other 65% in order to meet the wheel at 100% at the same moment in time. The tires still turn the same amount at full lock, but with negative expo, there's no longer a 1:1 corelation between how far your turn the wheel and how far the tires actually turn (until you reach full lock).

Anybody still awake?
im running a KO Helios, and I am trying to figure out which function is like expo.
What you are essentially saying is you are lessening the reaction of the servo versus the input at the wheel
Makes sense to me
__________________
I'll hit the brakes he'll go right by
http://f1rclab.com
http://f1rclab.mybigcommerce.com
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #1403
Tech Elite
 
evostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,680
Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
im running a KO Helios, and I am trying to figure out which function is like expo.
What you are essentially saying is you are lessening the reaction of the servo versus the input at the wheel
Makes sense to me
It would be the ST CURVE function. Use - (negative) number to desensitize the steering.
__________________
"If you no longer go for the gap that exist, you are no longer racing". Ayrton Senna
evostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #1404
Tech Elite
 
Greg Sharpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Snowbird Nationals
Posts: 3,211
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
...What you are essentially saying is you are lessening the reaction of the servo versus the input at the wheel..
Yes, but only over the first % of wheel input. The final % of wheel input will be met with an increased reaction from the servo. The end result is that 100% wheel input also equals 100% servo throw. However, you can decide if you want the servo to be less sensitive initially and more sensitive later which is negative exponential -OR- you can choose to make the servo overly sensitive initially and less sensitive later which is positive exponential.

Believe it or not, there are instances where positive exponential is useful.
__________________
If only endurance racing was a thing.
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #1405
Tech Initiate
 
Arthur Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 43
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
I have a dx3s and I run 35% expo in the steering. This is the single best adjustment you can make for the car. It was the difference btwn my 103 and 104. 104 is faster now that is dialed. If their is any question as to which car is better..have you seen DJ run his f104?
Expo will smooth out the car so you can push it harder.
Agree. I am running -15% Expo (DX3s) in my F103R and this helped a LOT with over-corrections and turn-in being much smoother. It wasn't just me!
__________________
X-Ray T2 '06 - Novak GTX/Spektrum 3100
Tamiya F103 RM - Novak XBR/Spektrum 300 (currently with Protoform Mulsanne body)
Tamiya F103R - Tekin FX Pro/Spektrum 3000
Tamiya F104 Pro - Tekin Fx/Spektrum 3500
Axial SCX10 - HPI Bronco Body - Tekin FX-R/Tekin 45T / Ubiquitous Slash - Stock
Arthur Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #1406
Tech Regular
 
zpmhinojosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reno,NV
Posts: 262
Send a message via AIM to zpmhinojosa
Default

WOW, all those responses are awsome. School's in and I'm takin notes.
zpmhinojosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #1407
Tech Initiate
 
Arthur Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 43
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
im running a KO Helios, and I am trying to figure out which function is like expo.
What you are essentially saying is you are lessening the reaction of the servo versus the input at the wheel
Makes sense to me
This link doesn't specifically deal with Servo Exponential, but it does show exponential curves versus linear and cubic. Note the Exponential curve appears less steep at the left and gets steeper as you move to the right. Getting "exponentially" steeper or greater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_growth

That is what servo expo does. Upon initial response, the servo moves less per user input, but to make up for that, it moves more per user input as you get closer to full lock to get to 100%. Setting negative expo really just smooths out (more precisely - deadens) the initial servo response.

You can also use this sort of curve function for throttle response. I set it in my Speed Control (Tekin) but most radios also have this avaialble. It seems to work better for me on the speed control when it comes to throttle expo. Looks like the Helios has a throttle curve setting too.

Believe it or not, BMW has something similar (as an option) for their 1:1 cars. They call it "active steering". Depending on vehicle speed, it takes fewer turns of the steering wheel (or more) to reach full lock.
__________________
X-Ray T2 '06 - Novak GTX/Spektrum 3100
Tamiya F103 RM - Novak XBR/Spektrum 300 (currently with Protoform Mulsanne body)
Tamiya F103R - Tekin FX Pro/Spektrum 3000
Tamiya F104 Pro - Tekin Fx/Spektrum 3500
Axial SCX10 - HPI Bronco Body - Tekin FX-R/Tekin 45T / Ubiquitous Slash - Stock

Last edited by Arthur Burns; 10-22-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Arthur Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #1408
Tech Elite
 
haywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,758
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default f103 or f104

WTB one of these chassis if anyone has a extra.Thanks
__________________
Roche Rapida P12 2015/2016/2017 / Hobbywing / Team Scream / Progressive Rc / Ko Propo / MotivRc / Dri-Fit Mafia /
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #1409
Tech Elite
 
evostyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,680
Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)
Default

I see that Orion Rocket packs / stick type batteries fit.

Can someone recommend any other lipo packs that fit and are cheaper. Will a non - hard case pack fit? www.Hobbycity.com has some 7.4v 4000mah packs fairly cheap.
__________________
"If you no longer go for the gap that exist, you are no longer racing". Ayrton Senna
evostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #1410
Tech Elite
 
rtypec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,959
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
you wont get schooled or flamed unless you ask a really dumb question, or ask the same dumb question more than once.
There aren't many dumb questions, but there are a few
I have a few questions:
  • When I change to a red shock spring, what gear ratio should I use?
  • If I run with a lighter weight shock oil, do I have to add lead weight to make up the difference?
  • When I turn my steering wheel to the left, my car goes forward. When I turn it to the right, it does nothing. I'm trying go 170mph so any help would be appreciated.
  • I painted a body from the inside and put stickers on it but the finish is still dull. How do you get yours to be so shiny?
  • If I use velcro to hold my battery in, what gear ratio should I use?

Thanks in advance.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 06:57 AM
Tamiya F104, HPI F10 and POPULARITY bxpitbull Electric On-Road 28 07-22-2011 08:13 AM
HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro daygoVR6 Electric On-Road 38 12-03-2010 03:19 PM
FS: Tamiya F103RM and F104 Pro! SerpentCT4S R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 42 09-12-2009 06:59 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:15 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0