R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #961
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 41
Default Set up tips

What is a good starting point gearing ratio with a silver can motor. Indoor asphalt track great traction. Do you guys use 93 or 104 spur and what pinion is a good starting point. I've heard some people using 55-60 for roll out.
keechracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #962
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Qestion to those running LiPo stick packs in thier F104s; Did you have to mode the chassis or the battery mounts at all to get it to fit? I tried fitting a hard case LiPo stick pack and I could not seem to get it to slide all the way in with the factory battery mount. Am I just dumb or do I need to change something to get this to fit?
Ekim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #963
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim81 View Post
Qestion to those running LiPo stick packs in thier F104s; Did you have to mode the chassis or the battery mounts at all to get it to fit? I tried fitting a hard case LiPo stick pack and I could not seem to get it to slide all the way in with the factory battery mount. Am I just dumb or do I need to change something to get this to fit?
I run a ThunderPower 5000mAh 40C pack in mine, which is pretty big. I left out the plastic swivel gates, and basically built the battery into the car using the extra upper deck standoffs included in the kit. Then I taped the rx to one side of the battery and the ESC to a cut-up swivel gate taped to the other side of the battery. It came out nice & clean. No, the battery cannot be easily removed, but that doesn't bother me.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #964
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,943
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I run a ThunderPower 5000mAh 40C pack in mine, which is pretty big. I left out the plastic swivel gates, and basically built the battery into the car using the extra upper deck standoffs included in the kit. Then I taped the rx to one side of the battery and the ESC to a cut-up swivel gate taped to the other side of the battery. It came out nice & clean. No, the battery cannot be easily removed, but that doesn't bother me.
Original
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #965
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keechracer View Post
What is a good starting point gearing ratio with a silver can motor. Indoor asphalt track great traction. Do you guys use 93 or 104 spur and what pinion is a good starting point. I've heard some people using 55-60 for roll out.
start with 93/25 (the included pinion) I usually end up around 50-55 rollout but the track size plays a part. The stock gearing setup runs very well most places
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #966
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Original
I didn't claim to come up with it, just that I did it! I'll be sure to include citations in all of my future posts.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #967
Tech Fanatic
 
akura2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 810
Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I didn't claim to come up with it, just that I did it! I'll be sure to include citations in all of my future posts.
maybe he's complimenting you for being original.....

he didn't give you a sarcastic smiley... he gave you a nodding

not everything said here is negative.. and since we're only reading, you can't tell if he's being a jerk or praising you... I'm hoping it's the latter
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #968
Tech Elite
 
reenmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,539
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
maybe he's complimenting you for being original.....

he didn't give you a sarcastic smiley... he gave you a nodding

not everything said here is negative.. and since we're only reading, you can't tell if he's being a jerk or praising you... I'm hoping it's the latter
Actually, I got the idea from him...that's what he was referring to.
__________________
Pete Waydo
2010 Big Fat Turkey Race Mini Cooper AAA Main Champion
*** currently in stasis ***
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #969
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fontana,CA
Posts: 1,001
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Ekim81 - I got a 5000 to fit by using a flat nut to replace the one on the chassis holding the t-plate. Then I discovered that you can put the black o-rings, that are supposed to go on the top of the swivel plate hinges, on the bottom instead.
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #970
Tech Fanatic
 
SRBMOJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ORANGE CO., CA
Posts: 977
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default F104 Pro with F103 TRG rubber tires!

Here are some pics of my recently finished Toro Rosso F104 Pro with F103 TRG rubber tires (medium compound)

I made some new spindles to fit in the stock steering arm. The spindle is 1/4" longer than the stock one and I slid a 1/4" spacer (8mm OD) on the spindle. The spindle has a threaded hole in the end for a 3mm screw to hold the wheel on (like the Associated B4)

The rear rubber tires are a direct fit, I used the "O" axle spacer in the rear, and used the thinnest washer under the front steering arm, putting the medium and thick spacers on top. The car has 4mm ground clearance with a clear protective sheet on the CF chassis.

Rear width is 8" or 203mm
front width is 7.6" or 193mm

here are some pics:





__________________
ALL TAMIYA 4 WHEEL DRIVE ALL THE TIME
TRF-416X, SP CIRTIX, LRP X-12 17.5, FUTABA 9550
SRBMOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #971
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,796
Default

Very nice! I like that small battery.


Has anyone tried running ni-mh in the car? I am wondering if some of our handling 'problems' are because it wants 200g more weight
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #972
Tech Initiate
 
Arthur Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 43
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRBMOJO View Post
Here are some pics of my recently finished Toro Rosso F104 Pro with F103 TRG rubber tires (medium compound)

I made some new spindles to fit in the stock steering arm. The spindle is 1/4" longer than the stock one and I slid a 1/4" spacer (8mm OD) on the spindle. The spindle has a threaded hole in the end for a 3mm screw to hold the wheel on (like the Associated B4)

The rear rubber tires are a direct fit, I used the "O" axle spacer in the rear, and used the thinnest washer under the front steering arm, putting the medium and thick spacers on top. The car has 4mm ground clearance with a clear protective sheet on the CF chassis.

Rear width is 8" or 203mm
front width is 7.6" or 193mm
That is a very nice looking F104, with some very nice modifications to be able to run the TRG tires!

I'm afraid to open the box on my F104 - I'm still having so much fun with my F103's! Seeing this makes me want to get started!

Amazing!
__________________
X-Ray T2 '06 - Novak GTX/Spektrum 3100
Tamiya F103 RM - Novak XBR/Spektrum 300 (currently with Protoform Mulsanne body)
Tamiya F103R - Tekin FX Pro/Spektrum 3000
Tamiya F104 Pro - Tekin Fx/Spektrum 3500
Axial SCX10 - HPI Bronco Body - Tekin FX-R/Tekin 45T / Ubiquitous Slash - Stock

Last edited by Arthur Burns; 09-25-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added text
Arthur Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #973
Tech Adept
 
InZane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 248
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

What can I say - absolutely stunning!
InZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #974
Tech Addict
 
cheROK1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Noneyadammy
Posts: 571
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim81 View Post
Qestion to those running LiPo stick packs in thier F104s; Did you have to mode the chassis or the battery mounts at all to get it to fit? I tried fitting a hard case LiPo stick pack and I could not seem to get it to slide all the way in with the factory battery mount. Am I just dumb or do I need to change something to get this to fit?
I run a IP 3800 and it fits perfectly. I dremmeled a small bit on each side of the top deck for bullet plugs and I can remove it with ease. I have recently been running with the extra mounting post installed so I leave it in the car to charge by just removing the front retainer. Hope this helps.
__________________
...hold my 'stones.
cheROK1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #975
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Any pics of what you had to change to get it to fit?
Ekim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 05:57 AM
Tamiya F104, HPI F10 and POPULARITY bxpitbull Electric On-Road 28 07-22-2011 07:13 AM
HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro daygoVR6 Electric On-Road 38 12-03-2010 02:19 PM
FS: Tamiya F103RM and F104 Pro! SerpentCT4S R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 42 09-12-2009 05:59 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:55 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net