Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #9226
Tech Apprentice

Where did you find an X1?
Measuredpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 AM   #9227
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

how to mod your Tamiya F104 Pro V2 to get the driver to turn the steering wheel when the car turns
Tamiya F104 driver steering mod
gamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #9228
Tech Apprentice

Looks like my gf got me an early b-day gift. I just need to get some electronics. Good thing I had some spare hop up parts to donate to the bare bones f104.

Changed out the upper deck for the stock one and trimmed it up for more flex. Here's a side by side of my F104 Pro Black edition with the X1 upper deck.

Turnigy 9X
Measuredpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #9229
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I tried to search this thread but I didn't find the specific answer, so... question. I just built my new F104X1 kit. The only gripe I have is the flat-head-screw 5mm ball connectors with the 2mm thread that go into the plastic steering upright. WTF Tamiya?

Also, I mounted my servo vertically but I'd like to mount it horizontally. I have an Xray servo saver and I wanted to run the balls vertically down from it, but the stock 5mm ball connectors seem too short. The turnbuckle angle would be wrong, I think. Looking around I don't see too many longer options.

So... if I switched to Xray 4.9mm balls and connectors, I'd know what I'm dealing with and have spares (I have a T4). But I couldn't use them with these stock steering uprights. What are my options?

I'm thinking one of the different/aftermarket steering uprights that take normal 3mm threaded ball studs. Thoughts?

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #9230
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys just wondering if anyone had tried the exotek f1r2 conversion and what you think of it! was also wondering how people mount their servo horizontal on the chassis. And also wanted to know if anyone has a parts list of what is needed to change a f104 pro to something like the f104wgp or f104w. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #9231
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
I tried to search this thread but I didn't find the specific answer, so... question. I just built my new F104X1 kit. The only gripe I have is the flat-head-screw 5mm ball connectors with the 2mm thread that go into the plastic steering upright. WTF Tamiya?

Also, I mounted my servo vertically but I'd like to mount it horizontally. I have an Xray servo saver and I wanted to run the balls vertically down from it, but the stock 5mm ball connectors seem too short. The turnbuckle angle would be wrong, I think. Looking around I don't see too many longer options.

So... if I switched to Xray 4.9mm balls and connectors, I'd know what I'm dealing with and have spares (I have a T4). But I couldn't use them with these stock steering uprights. What are my options?

I'm thinking one of the different/aftermarket steering uprights that take normal 3mm threaded ball studs. Thoughts?
if you want to get rid of the 2mm threaded ball studs for the steering the aluminum steering knuckles use a standard 3mm ball stud.

Should you mount the servo in the horizontal position just use some longer screws with the regular tamiya 5mm ball nuts and how ever many spacers you need to get the bump steer right.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #9232
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
Should you mount the servo in the horizontal position just use some longer screws with the regular tamiya 5mm ball nuts and how ever many spacers you need to get the bump steer right.
Right, this is exactly what I realized I could do and now have the parts. However, if I lay my servo down I'll have to move my ESC back a bit more. So, I first want to see how this thing handles at Galaxy and decide where to position the battery. If it's not all the way forward then I'll lay the servo down. For now it seems ok, though the Exotek servo plates with grub screws aren't as plug-and-play as I had hoped. My servo moved a bit last carpet race, but I'll work on it.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #9233
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleD123 View Post
Hey guys just wondering if anyone had tried the exotek f1r2 conversion and what you think of it! was also wondering how people mount their servo horizontal on the chassis. And also wanted to know if anyone has a parts list of what is needed to change a f104 pro to something like the f104wgp or f104w. Thanks!
I have not built and run the R2, but I have sold quite a few and the general response has been positive.
as far as mounting the servo, I tape it to the servo mounts that come with the 104pro and other kits
Regarding the WGP, it is a great car, and we have the parts to do the conversion, but it is not cheap. if you were to convert a stock 104 to WGP, you might be better off buying the whole kit.
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #9234
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just bought mine WGP for 170 euro's.
Love it with all the alloy parts.
Only bad thing on the kit are the motorpod plates.
This as they 'don't have the option to run on small tires like the rearpod of the V104Pro VII.
Just ordered a set of RM01 alloy motorpod plates in black to get the same options as the VII i have

Regards Roy
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #9235
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
Just bought mine WGP for 170 euro's.
Love it with all the alloy parts.
Only bad thing on the kit are the motorpod plates.
This as they 'don't have the option to run on small tires like the rearpod of the V104Pro VII.
Just ordered a set of RM01 alloy motorpod plates in black to get the same options as the VII i have

Regards Roy
I don't think a V2 pod will bolt on to a WGP Tplate, but then again I have never tried it either
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #9236
Tech Elite

Then it is back to the drawing board to make a new T-bar

Regards Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
I don't think a V2 pod will bolt on to a WGP Tplate, but then again I have never tried it either
Old 04-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #9237
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Right, this is exactly what I realized I could do and now have the parts. However, if I lay my servo down I'll have to move my ESC back a bit more. So, I first want to see how this thing handles at Galaxy and decide where to position the battery. If it's not all the way forward then I'll lay the servo down. For now it seems ok, though the Exotek servo plates with grub screws aren't as plug-and-play as I had hoped. My servo moved a bit last carpet race, but I'll work on it.
just use the plastic tamiya servo mounts, everything fits securely and its tcs legal for regionals.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #9238
Tech Fanatic

F104 pro ordered, any advice what parts should I order? Also ordered x1 top deck with roll damper set amd spur gear adapter.

facebook.com/rogergrafix
roger999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #9239
Tech Elite

You can order the Exotek spurs.
No need for the spur gear adaptor then and 16 diff balls for a super smooth diff.
Also order a 1 piece trust bearing and place that instead of the ball bearing in the diff.
Don't forget the place the spring washers like this---> )( instead of what manual says-->().
It will give you the best dif you want.

Regards Roy
Old 04-30-2014, 04:14 AM   #9240
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro10noob View Post
You can order the Exotek spurs.
No need for the spur gear adaptor then and 16 diff balls for a super smooth diff.
Also order a 1 piece trust bearing and place that instead of the ball bearing in the diff.
Don't forget the place the spring washers like this---> )( instead of what manual says-->().
It will give you the best dif you want.

Regards Roy
What is the part number of one piece bearing?
Also what parts is a MUST to have in spares?

facebook.com/rogergrafix
roger999 is offline   Reply With Quote