R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #9166
Tech Master
 
Three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Madphis, Tn.
Posts: 1,456
Default

Has anyone used the new Tamiya tires (1031, 1032) on the F104 Pro? What changes did you make from using the other Tamiya F1 tires? Trying to prepare for the TCS race. Thanks.
__________________
Electric good..........
Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #9167
Tech Master
 
BadSign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 1,151
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three View Post
Has anyone used the new Tamiya tires (1031, 1032) on the F104 Pro? What changes did you make from using the other Tamiya F1 tires? Trying to prepare for the TCS race. Thanks.
I have no experience with standard tamiya tires, but i've seen other drivers at my local carpet track switch to the 1031/1032 combo and pick up .5 to 1.5 seconds on a 9 second track.
__________________
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #9168
Tech Elite
 
BP SHADOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In the LAB paintin' bodies!!!!
Posts: 2,285
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three View Post
Has anyone used the new Tamiya tires (1031, 1032) on the F104 Pro? What changes did you make from using the other Tamiya F1 tires? Trying to prepare for the TCS race. Thanks.
I ran them at the TCS race, I squeaked into the A just barely. Depending on traction levels, I would start with a medium setup and adjust from there. the tires have good grip but arent overly aggressive.
__________________
I'll hit the brakes he'll go right by
http://f1rclab.com
http://f1rclab.mybigcommerce.com
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #9169
Tech Adept
 
Tracy B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 156
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I recently purchased a used f104 chassis. T disassembled the chassis and reassembled it, installed the x1 top deck conversion (54331), the 53901 TRF damper, and the high traction t-bar. With the adjusting ring turned to the bottom of the shock I am getting noticeable rear pod droop without anything else being installed in the car. I followed the kit instructions that came with the conversion kit, TRF damper, and the t-bar. Any help or advice??

Also any pictures of the metal upright set (54357) installed on your car??
__________________
TRex chassis with McAllister Xfinity Ford Mustang
Member of WRCRC
Authorized HobbyWing, Gens Ace batteries, McAllister Racing Bodies, and Precision Racing Systems dealer: [email protected]
www.facebook.com/BroeckerRacing
Tracy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #9170
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy B View Post
I recently purchased a used f104 chassis. T disassembled the chassis and reassembled it, installed the x1 top deck conversion (54331), the 53901 TRF damper, and the high traction t-bar. With the adjusting ring turned to the bottom of the shock I am getting noticeable rear pod droop without anything else being installed in the car. I followed the kit instructions that came with the conversion kit, TRF damper, and the t-bar. Any help or advice??

Also any pictures of the metal upright set (54357) installed on your car??
Did you add o-ring(BA19) inside the shock? - Here are the X1 kit instructions (if it differs from the conversion instructions) -also check is the part #V5 tightened enough.
If you dont have extra o-rings just use spacer or a piece of fuel tubing etc.

-Pate
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F104 Pro!-aa.jpg  
fastvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #9171
Tech Adept
 
Tracy B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 156
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvee View Post
Did you add o-ring(BA19) inside the shock? - Here are the X1 kit instructions (if it differs from the conversion instructions) -also check is the part #V5 tightened enough.
If you dont have extra o-rings just use spacer or a piece of fuel tubing etc.

-Pate
The instructions do differ a little bit, the TRF damper instructions have the black o-ring (ba19) at the end of the shaft outside the cylinder up against V5, not inside the cylinder like the X1 instructions. I also see I may have forgotten a part. I will disassemble and double check in the morning and repost my findings and such. I downloaded the X1 instructions and will use those when reassembling.
__________________
TRex chassis with McAllister Xfinity Ford Mustang
Member of WRCRC
Authorized HobbyWing, Gens Ace batteries, McAllister Racing Bodies, and Precision Racing Systems dealer: [email protected]
www.facebook.com/BroeckerRacing
Tracy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #9172
Tech Adept
 
Tracy B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 156
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I rebuilt the shock and put the BA19 o-ring on the rod inside of the shock like the X1 kit directions say. The TRF damper instructions have you install this o-ring on the rod outside of the cylinder before you attach V5. I removed this and with the shock adjuster turned all the way against the stop, I have no rear pod droop at all, which I believe is the way it should be. Thanks for posting those instructions fastvee.
__________________
TRex chassis with McAllister Xfinity Ford Mustang
Member of WRCRC
Authorized HobbyWing, Gens Ace batteries, McAllister Racing Bodies, and Precision Racing Systems dealer: [email protected]
www.facebook.com/BroeckerRacing
Tracy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #9173
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 78
Default

No problem.

I do like some droop , but it is easy to adjust with the #V5.

Now put softest spring you can find on that shock and go drive it.

(I love the gold spring http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2364 ) , if you dont have it and drive on asphalt I suggest you get one. I use 25-30wt oil with that spring on med/low grip asphalt
fastvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #9174
Tech Addict
 
rimracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southington CT
Posts: 667
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default A couple of questions

I am trying to understand the possible adjustments for the front end on my X1. I have watched the the youtube vids from rc F1 blog guy and that has helped. I am messing around with front droop and from what I can see there seems to be and inherent amount of droop in the front upright area. Just wondering what the benefits/drawbacks are to preload the spring.

I ran the car for the first time last week at a TCS race. I found out that I like to break the C5 plate. Seems the original one lasted longer than the replacements. The original looks like a fiber reinforced piece, the others look to be plastic only. Just wondering what other peoples findings have been. Is it helpful to get the aluminum upgrade parts for the motor pod area? better durability?

The car is box stock except for the adjustable uprights. Tamiya (54357)
rimracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #9175
Tech Adept
 
Tracy B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 156
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Can anyone give me tips on how to install the metal uprights on the f104 or any pictures of how they have theirs installed??
__________________
TRex chassis with McAllister Xfinity Ford Mustang
Member of WRCRC
Authorized HobbyWing, Gens Ace batteries, McAllister Racing Bodies, and Precision Racing Systems dealer: [email protected]
www.facebook.com/BroeckerRacing
Tracy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #9176
Tech Master
 
BadSign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 1,151
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimracker View Post
I am trying to understand the possible adjustments for the front end on my X1. I have watched the the youtube vids from rc F1 blog guy and that has helped. I am messing around with front droop and from what I can see there seems to be and inherent amount of droop in the front upright area. Just wondering what the benefits/drawbacks are to preload the spring.

I ran the car for the first time last week at a TCS race. I found out that I like to break the C5 plate. Seems the original one lasted longer than the replacements. The original looks like a fiber reinforced piece, the others look to be plastic only. Just wondering what other peoples findings have been. Is it helpful to get the aluminum upgrade parts for the motor pod area? better durability?
I set the droop screws on the front just enough to take out slackwhen the car is at rest- so the upper arm sits almost on the screw. I have found that in a tumble, the pivot ball can pop out of the lower arm and completely tweak the front end. I never use tweak to pre-load the spring.

With the lower pod plate, you are better off with plastic, it's cheaper. Both types will break, the graphite piece probably easier. keep a spare with you.
__________________
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #9177
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy B View Post
Can anyone give me tips on how to install the metal uprights on the f104 or any pictures of how they have theirs installed??
Look Here. Tamiya F104 Version 2
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #9178
Tech Adept
 
Tracy B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 156
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Sydewynder, that's how I have mine setup.
__________________
TRex chassis with McAllister Xfinity Ford Mustang
Member of WRCRC
Authorized HobbyWing, Gens Ace batteries, McAllister Racing Bodies, and Precision Racing Systems dealer: [email protected]
www.facebook.com/BroeckerRacing
Tracy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #9179
Tech Adept
 
Tracy B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 156
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Ok another question.
I have the 3x35mm Titan Turnbuckle (53528) installed in place of the standard rods on the f104. I see Tamiya makes 2 turnbuckle wrenches, 53602 & 42122, which would be the proper one to use with the turnbuckles I have??

Could you suggest a different brand wrench for the turnbuckles if you don't like Tamiya??
__________________
TRex chassis with McAllister Xfinity Ford Mustang
Member of WRCRC
Authorized HobbyWing, Gens Ace batteries, McAllister Racing Bodies, and Precision Racing Systems dealer: [email protected]
www.facebook.com/BroeckerRacing
Tracy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #9180
Tech Master
 
HeliYogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 1,195
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default LA -SFV Track F1 action this Sunday

__________________
More F-1 RC action? RCTECH Formula-1-RC-Northwest & FB @WhatBrakes
HeliYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 05:57 AM
Tamiya F104, HPI F10 and POPULARITY bxpitbull Electric On-Road 28 07-22-2011 07:13 AM
HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro daygoVR6 Electric On-Road 38 12-03-2010 02:19 PM
FS: Tamiya F103RM and F104 Pro! SerpentCT4S R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 42 09-12-2009 05:59 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:28 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net