Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 5VoltDetonator
ok after switching the steel drive shaft I see allmost no difference. It is still pushing the ass end out to the left hard when I get on the power. Now I think I know what the problem is I think my gear case is bent or tweaked or something.

My car handeled way better during it's first race. I watched the video again back on page 584 of this thread ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s5BR8XRlog ), in the video the ass end does not come out like it does now.

Question- can I rebuild the plastic gear case (https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod..._id=&cart_seq=) I have now? or once these are messed up do I just need a new one?
One other thing that can cause an imbalance under acceleration is if the rear axle is set too tight in the pod. When you put the non-diff side hub on if you press it tight when you tighten the setscrew then you will make the axle drag on the bearings. Since the bearings that hold the axle are on one side of the diff then the diff gets slowed on the pod side of the diff which will cause it to pull to one side or the other. Instead when you put the non-diff side hub on put a scrap of paper between the spacer and the bearing. Once the non-diff side hub is tightened you can remove the scrap of paper. Also note that dirty/gritty bearings can cause the same symptoms.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey guys, I am aquiring a new f104 pro kit here soon. As I am building it, I wish to know what you guys are running for complete setups, for a indoor prepped carpet track, smooth. Shock oil, ride height, etc. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
One other thing that can cause an imbalance under acceleration is if the rear axle is set too tight in the pod. When you put the non-diff side hub on if you press it tight when you tighten the setscrew then you will make the axle drag on the bearings. Since the bearings that hold the axle are on one side of the diff then the diff gets slowed on the pod side of the diff which will cause it to pull to one side or the other. Instead when you put the non-diff side hub on put a scrap of paper between the spacer and the bearing. Once the non-diff side hub is tightened you can remove the scrap of paper. Also note that dirty/gritty bearings can cause the same symptoms.
i concur completly. my car had a tendancy to keep steering after i had centered the wheel. after setting the non diff side with a sheet of standard 80gsm paper each time the car returns to center nicely
Old 09-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anyone? As for now stock foams. What's a recommended rubber tire?
Old 09-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boostinswifty38
Anyone? As for now stock foams. What's a recommended rubber tire?
Pit Shimizu 0571/0572s
Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok looking for more steering. Or i guess the car seems to slide the front tires instead of turning.
Here is the set up

Rear.
ride height 4 mm
damper. 25 oil. With red spring. And 2 mm shim on rear mount
traction plate. The soft one. With loose screw in middle.
Composite axel
21 grams of weight.
Diff slippes a small amout

Front
short upper deck
silver spring.
ride height is 3.5
Toe is 1°
Camber 1.5
Arms are level.

Running tcs tires
f104 with fiberglass chassi.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Huskerfan1212
Ok looking for more steering. Or i guess the car seems to slide the front tires instead of turning.
Here is the set up

Rear.
ride height 4 mm
damper. 25 oil. With red spring. And 2 mm shim on rear mount
traction plate. The soft one. With loose screw in middle.
Composite axel
21 grams of weight.
Diff slippes a small amout

Front
short upper deck
silver spring.
ride height is 3.5
Toe is 1°
Camber 1.5
Arms are level.

Running tcs tires
f104 with fiberglass chassi.
How much rear droop? Which steering blocks? And how do you have your servo oriented?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sadly not sure what you mean by rear droop. It is how much the frontend droops to the rear. Servo is mounted vertically. Steering blocks? Steering blocks not sure what you mean.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs down

Sadly not sure what you mean by rear droop. It is how much the frontend droops to the rear. Servo is mounted vertically. Steering blocks? Steering blocks not sure what you mean.
If you put the chassis up on blocks, measure how high off the ground it is. Now let the rear pod hang in space, and measure distance to ground. Take te difference and that is the rear droop. Of the numbers are the same or close to it you have little to no droop, and that is why your car pushes.
Steering blocks are also called front uprights, and are te pieces that contain the front axles. You have two choices here, the online blocks and the 3.5mm offset blocks. The offset blocks have more of a caster effect to them, so the car will be more settled in a straight line. They do seem to provide more steering as well though. I would mount the servo horizontally, as this helps bump steer and gives a better Ackerman angle, which will help the car turn. You didn't mention if the push was off power or on power
Old 09-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

The car seems so push on sweeping corners. Tight corners fine. So mid corner on and off power. The other thing that really sucks is that the local track shares pit area with off road. So testing this car is hard do to dusty carpet. But on the night we run carpet the grove comes in well.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Btw lots of guys at the local track are loving the decals you are a master. Still planning on that 555 car.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

The car seems so push on sweeping corners. Tight corners fine. So mid corner on and off power. The other thing that really sucks is that the local track shares pit area with off road. So testing this car is hard do to dusty carpet. But on the night we run carpet the grove comes in well.
What tire sauce? and how much of the tire do you sauce?
I would probably increase camber to 2 degrees, and add some preload to the shock. Also go up to a yellow or blue spring
Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sxt 2.0. Front tires do seem to glaze over.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Btw lots of guys at the local track are loving the decals you are a master. Still planning on that 555 car.
Thats good to hear, there is lots of new stuff coming soon. I have been looking at the 555 car, and it is doable, but it is a little more involved than I originally thought.

Sxt 2.0. Front tires do seem to glaze over.
What do you clean with? Saucing all the way across might help the glazing.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

I clean with 3.0. Really the diff between fast car and myself is .03 a lap or so. If i could just just find that in my car i would be very happpy. And im mid pack. So there is 4 of 5 cars all able to win mains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.