R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #8626
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphunRacing View Post
I would be more inclined to purchase one of these bodies if it had the same attention to detail as Tamiya. Understand that your company is smaller but need to remember whom you are competing against and at what margins you are willing to sacrifice in order to be a differentiator. Maybe create a full body set for a couple of IRL teams just like Tamiya did for Vodafone and Ferrari, etc.
I would have to join the others above pointing out your lack of knowledge of McAllister Racing. They understand exactly who they are competing with and it isn't Tamiya, their biggest competition for most bodies is Windtunnel. For the F1 chassis what McAllister is producing is no different to bodies from Blade, TRG, Cross, Chevron or D-Drive, at least the DW12 includes wings moulded into the body.

If you think McAllister should invest in getting separate plastic wings moulded for the body, well that isn't going to happen as it just isn't profitable for a vac forming company to buy in the equipment or pay for moulds to be outsourced. Of course that doesn't stop you cutting off the moulded in wings and adding your own.

If your problem is that they don't do stickers to go with it, than again it's no different to every other F1 body manufacturers. Tamiya and HPI are the only exceptions due to having the financial backing to afford the licensing costs and able to sell enough full kits to make it pay.

If having complete body sets was so important to sales, we would only be running Ferraris and McLarens and F1paintlab wouldn't be in business.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #8627
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingm View Post
Hey guys...didn't mean to stir the pot. Just trying to fill the gaps in bodies available....that's what we do.

I always appreciate feedback from racers...good or bad. We actually do make a lot of decisions on product based on racer feedback.

Of course you have to understand that there are a lot of factors involved in decisions for manufacturing. If decals are what you are looking for when judging details, we don't have that luxury being a small Mom and Pop shop. It takes a large company like Tamiya to spit those things out like water.

However the detail on the bodies is closely controlled by us and we create as much or as little mold details as we feel appropriate. Sometimes too many bumps and grooves in a body just makes it more difficult for the average racer to paint. I've painted a bajillion bodies over more than 30 years of RC racing, won many Concours events and judged many more. So I have a pretty good feel for the detail level on RC bodies. I think our two latest Road Racing bodies, the IRL and Corvette Daytona Prototype have turned out quite well in the detail department.

Also keep in mind that there are some limitations to shapes with the Vacuum Forming process, and making aftermarket bodies for RC cars that are not proportional to full size cars can also be a challenge. Some interpretation is always involved.

All that being said, I appreciate any support we get, and I'm proud of the fact that everything we sell is 100% made in the U.S.A. If you would have any further questions regarding our process and product decisions, you are welcome to call any time....928-714-1799

Thanks
Gary McAllister
McAllister Racing
This is a great body,it fills a perfect gap. I bet Kimihiko-yano will carry these for World Drome here in Japan. Cant wait to see there mounted and running on the Velodrome here.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #8628
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
I would have to join the others above pointing out your lack of knowledge of McAllister Racing. They understand exactly who they are competing with and it isn't Tamiya, their biggest competition for most bodies is Windtunnel. For the F1 chassis what McAllister is producing is no different to bodies from Blade, TRG, Cross, Chevron or D-Drive, at least the DW12 includes wings moulded into the body.

If you think McAllister should invest in getting separate plastic wings moulded for the body, well that isn't going to happen as it just isn't profitable for a vac forming company to buy in the equipment or pay for moulds to be outsourced. Of course that doesn't stop you cutting off the moulded in wings and adding your own.

If your problem is that they don't do stickers to go with it, than again it's no different to every other F1 body manufacturers. Tamiya and HPI are the only exceptions due to having the financial backing to afford the licensing costs and able to sell enough full kits to make it pay.

If having complete body sets was so important to sales, we would only be running Ferraris and McLarens and F1paintlab wouldn't be in business.
+1
Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #8629
Tech Regular

Very compliments to Weber Herbert to win ETS Formel Class 2012
good job my friend!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #8630
Tech Elite

Oh Well. Just another example of "internet ignorance" and the lack of knowledge, experience, and respect. Happens a lot on some of these threads.

I am ordering one of the new IRL Bodies. I'll play around on the Track with it and see how it performs.
The look or design of the new 2012 IRLs are Bad!
This body looks Bad and I'm really diggin' the rear of the Body.

Sure, I'm a little skeptical about the Front Molded Wing. Try it 1st, then maybe a body Mod in the Front and keep the Front F1 Wing on and leave the Rear Wing off. All worth a try to me.
theDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #8631
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hey guys...didn't mean to stir the pot. Just trying to fill the gaps in bodies available....that's what we do.

I always appreciate feedback from racers...good or bad. We actually do make a lot of decisions on product based on racer feedback.

Of course you have to understand that there are a lot of factors involved in decisions for manufacturing. If decals are what you are looking for when judging details, we don't have that luxury being a small Mom and Pop shop. It takes a large company like Tamiya to spit those things out like water.

However the detail on the bodies is closely controlled by us and we create as much or as little mold details as we feel appropriate. Sometimes too many bumps and grooves in a body just makes it more difficult for the average racer to paint. I've painted a bajillion bodies over more than 30 years of RC racing, won many Concours events and judged many more. So I have a pretty good feel for the detail level on RC bodies. I think our two latest Road Racing bodies, the IRL and Corvette Daytona Prototype have turned out quite well in the detail department.

Also keep in mind that there are some limitations to shapes with the Vacuum Forming process, and making aftermarket bodies for RC cars that are not proportional to full size cars can also be a challenge. Some interpretation is always involved.

All that being said, I appreciate any support we get, and I'm proud of the fact that everything we sell is 100% made in the U.S.A. If you would have any further questions regarding our process and product decisions, you are welcome to call any time....928-714-1799

Thanks
Gary McAllister
McAllister Racing
I've to agree with my friend Bakaguyjean, you're filling the gap and is a nice new one.

Just 2 things:
As personal taste, I never liked moulded helmet, I believe that every one is having am helmet laying around....

The newer Dallara is not as sexy as the old model. I understand IRL new rules, but the car is "difficult" to be loved...

Shame (for me) that Lotus engine didn't work properly...

Last edited by Giorgio; 07-10-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Giorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #8632
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
New Product Release from McAllister Racing-

#291- 2012 IRL body, 1/10th for Tamiya F104 chassis’. One piece body. The IRL made a drastic change in the looks of the Indy Racing League cars for 2012. McAllister Racing leads the way in scale racing trends with this latest IRL body for the Tamiya Formula cars. Great for Oval or Road Course. Uses the stock nose wing from the F104W kits and the stock body posts.

Pictured on an F104W.

All McAllister Racing products are 100% made in the U.S.A.

Please support your local RC Dealer and ask for McAllister Racing by name.
I just visited your web page. Some of the bodies on your site look spectacular. Your new IRL body looks great. Unfortunately, I don't like the 2012 design, which is not your fault at all. You captured it pretty well though.
Associated FT T4.2
blade329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #8633
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

F1 RC Cars - 2012 British Grand Prix
7 July 2012

A record breaking 26 drivers and 12 different chassis showed up. In the end top 3 winners were:

1. Tamiya F104
2. Tamiya F104Pro
3. Tamiya F104WGP

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here were the qualifying times and the chassis/tires used. So close.

Thanks for looking. The F104 is still the car to beat.

Full story, photos, results and video of the British GP here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #8634
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Question RE Tamiya tires.

I bought my F104X1 used. It came with Tamiya wheels / tires on the car. I don't have the packages that the tires came in, so I don't know which PN and therefore what hardness the tires are.

The tires, both the fronts and the rears, have an "M" (or if you spin the tire 180 degrees, the M becomes a "W") molded into the tire sidewall.

What tires are on my car?

In other words, do the different PN Tamiya F104 rubber tires have some sort of distinguishing mark molded into the tire? If so, which marking is molded into which PN tire?

I'm kind of guessing that the "M" means medium but ... then again you never know.

I ask because, I'm fixing to run my local TCS race in a couple weeks and the info will help me with my tire selection.
waswadener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #8635
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Simple body i just finished, was going for Rick Mears Pennzoil Indy car scheme, but had to make do with the stickers i had.
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #8636
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yellow always looks good on an open wheel.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #8637
Tech Regular

For those who don't like the new 2012 look of the IRL cars, we still have last years body....
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F104 Pro!-213-4-irl.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-213-3-irl.jpg  
flyingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #8638
Tech Rookie

hy luppi

thank you very much, it was a big race. Only 2 Pointīs in front to win the european formular class 2012.

you can see a video from the 2. final of traiskirchen - itīs on the ETS site from red rc

i hope we can see us in one of the next ETS races.

lg herbert
Heri W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #8639
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heri W. View Post
hy luppi

thank you very much, it was a big race. Only 2 Pointīs in front to win the european formular class 2012.

you can see a video from the 2. final of traiskirchen - itīs on the ETS site from red rc

i hope we can see us in one of the next ETS races.

lg herbert
yeees I watch this now!
2012-2013 ETS Season Italian Round sure!
again congrats!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #8640
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waswadener View Post
Question RE Tamiya tires.

I bought my F104X1 used. It came with Tamiya wheels / tires on the car. I don't have the packages that the tires came in, so I don't know which PN and therefore what hardness the tires are.

The tires, both the fronts and the rears, have an "M" (or if you spin the tire 180 degrees, the M becomes a "W") molded into the tire sidewall.

What tires are on my car?

In other words, do the different PN Tamiya F104 rubber tires have some sort of distinguishing mark molded into the tire? If so, which marking is molded into which PN tire?

I'm kind of guessing that the "M" means medium but ... then again you never know.

I ask because, I'm fixing to run my local TCS race in a couple weeks and the info will help me with my tire selection.
Surprised no one grabbed this one yet.

Here's the deal, Tamiya has "kit" 104 rubber tires marked with an N and
"option" rubber tires marked with a W.
The kit N tires I've always called mediums for front and rear.
The option W tires are definitely softer for the rear while the option W front tires are harder than the kit tires.

The absolute best combo to run anywhere (of course only if you're stuck having to run Tamiya rubber on your 104) is kit N tires up front and option W tires on the rear.
The other combos suck.
You may think you want the hard fronts and soft rears but the car will have no control/steering and you may even think you can run the hard fronts with the medium rears but you will have no control of either end.

If you now have W tires for front and rear, throw the W fronts into a bag and forget about em and go get some N fronts.

When the N fronts and the W rears are both new the car will be twitchy cuz the fresh fronts will overpower the fresh rears.
The hot ticket for me has always been to run well used fronts and relatively fresh rears but brand new rears will still be just a bit sticky and can get the car on edge, scrub the rears in for at least one run to take the edge off, run the fronts for a whole day to kill the edgyness.
Stiff black springs up front and everything very free and light, oil and spring in the rear combined with a perfectly fresh diff.

When you're done with the TCS race, go get yourself the awesome Pit Shimizu 571 and 572 combo and get ready to have a real race car!