Like Tree4Likes

Old 06-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #8581
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mkennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDover View Post
One thing I've never understood..
I noticed in skengines photo, some people mount the Shock inverted or up-side-down. Would someone please elaborate or explain the change or the difference in the rear performance?
Usually you want the shock body to remain stationary and the shaft end to be the end that moves (pod, arms…).
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #8582
Tech Champion

Quote:
I noticed in skengines photo, some people mount the Shock inverted or up-side-down. Would someone please elaborate or explain the change or the difference in the rear performance?
There's 2 reasons I have heard for this. The first goes back to early pan car shocks which leaked horribly. By putting the shock body on the chassis side of the suspension the shock would be a little bit inverted and that would help keep the shock from leaking some. The 2nd has to do with unsprung weight.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #8583
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

Vintage Boy- Yep, that is a shorty lipo. I actually can move the battery back and forth appx 8mm, but I don't think I will see much of a difference.

theDover- I mounted per the manual. I also would like to know if it will make a difference if I mount it the other direction.
skengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:04 AM   #8584
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
this is what I found on Tamiya's site - can't really think of a better way to explain it
Quote:
Servo Choice:
The F104 is designed to use a standard size servo. The instruction manual provides information on how to mount the servo by cutting the servo's screw mounting tabs off on both ends. This method works well; however, there is a better solution for hobbyists who want to preserve their servos screw mounting tabs for future use. Many manufactures offer servos that are marketed as "low-profile" servos. They are the same basic size looking at them from the servo horn side, but have a much shorter depth. The low-profile servo size allows you to mount the servo so it's flush with the bottom of the chassis. The servo horn is now positioned horizontally rather than vertically as the manual shows. No modification of any kind is needed to mount the low-profile servo in this manner. The only thing one must do is add 4mm of spacing to the steering linkage ball connector attached to the servo horn. Tamiya item 53539 is the perfect spacer set for this application. By mounting a low-profile servo in this fashion you will also eliminate the "bump-steer" inherent to the standard installation method of a standard size servo. "Bump-steer" is something that will affect your roll-steer. Bump-steer is not necessarily a bad thing to have in a car, but if you'd like to remove it from your set up, the low-profile servo method is the best and easiest method in eliminating it.

The effects of "bump-steer":
Definition: "bump steer" is the term for the tendency of the wheel of a car to deviate from its static steering alignment during suspension movement. It is typically measured in degrees of steer per meter of upwards motion or degrees per foot. If a car has "bump-steer" you can tell by pushing down on the front of the car while both wheels are pointed straight forward. If both wheels turn to the outside while the suspension is compressed you have "bump-steer". On modern cars the front of the tire moves outwards as the suspension is compressed, a process known as the front wheels "toeing out". This gives roll under-steer while cornering. The F104 servo location and mounting method was designed to allow the car to under-steer slightly, thus making the car easier to drive for new hobbyists to the sport. For advanced racers, eliminating "bump-steer" can offer benefits that help the car steer more aggressively and help it carry more corner speed. Tuning "bump-steer" is one method one can fine-tune the F104 Version II PRO according to track conditions.
Just ignore the 104V2 reference, it applies to all the F104's

the whole article is here - http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=613
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #8585
Tech Elite

Thanks k_bojar ..
theDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #8586
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks k_bojar ..
+1, very interesting read, thanks
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #8587
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is the TRF top shock supposed to be built with zero rebound? thanks
MDRTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #8588
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

my f104 v2 came today, K bojar you going to the jackson tamiya race?
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #8589
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

damn tamiya releasing part sets without all the parts required....

was just about to install the new alloy front upright set, and have come up stuck, what part no. is this kingpin ie. red arrow

if id have to guess id say its off the rm-01, but can someone confirm this?

or is it easier just to shim out the play where the e-clips would go?
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F104 Pro!-img2.jpg  
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #8590
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post

was just about to install the new alloy front upright set, and have come up stuck, what part no. is this kingpin ie. red arrow

if id have to guess id say its off the rm-01, but can someone confirm this?

or is it easier just to shim out the play where the e-clips would go?
You will need to shim for it. The kingpin with e-clips is for rm01/f103.

By the way will you or any others at keilor be running f1 this month? Wanted to come down have a go at the track.
J-PaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #8591
dfx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post

was just about to install the new alloy front upright set, and have come up stuck, what part no. is this kingpin ie. red arrow...
I would think You need this: http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=13089

But it is only needed for wide F103 front suspension arms like F104WGP cars have. Otherwise I think it should work with stock F104 front suspension arms, king pins and spacers...

Last edited by dfx; 06-28-2012 at 04:36 AM.
dfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #8592
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb11 View Post
my f104 v2 came today, K bojar you going to the jackson tamiya race?
that's the plan at the moment

just not sure what I'm going to run for my 2nd class - am torn between F1 and mini I'll probably decide after this weekend - running mini and if it works well I'll run that instead of F1

if the mini sucks, then I'll be working on my non-v2 F104 for the race
Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #8593
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default bumper and wing

Any one know where I can get these two items? I look on all the site I know that sell parts for F1 and can't find these items, the bumper and wing are on a F103.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F104 Pro!-wing.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-bumper.jpg  
Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #8594
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
Any one know where I can get these two items? I look on all the site I know that sell parts for F1 and can't find these items, the bumper and wing are on a F103.
That's the wingset for the type C body. F1paintlab has the body kit. Don't know who has just the wing set.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #8595
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastc View Post
That's the wingset for the type C body. F1paintlab has the body kit. Don't know who has just the wing set.
Thank you for the info, where are they located? have you ordered from them before?