R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #8386
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Not sure why everyone is apprehensive (dare I say hating) on the Tamiya rubber tires. I've had great luck with them on carpet and asphalt. You have to have the car set up to exploit them - I have yet to lose to a car outfitted with anything but tamiya rubber.

Maybe I'm wierd? But its all I run. They are cheap and effective.
I don't always race RC....but when I do....I prefer road course.
fox88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #8387
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess what i was trying to say is i use the new fresh tires and slowly drive the car to let the tires scrub in evenly. For the tire warmers our track was 142 F last time out. Ill heat my tires to 150 for practice and 175 before a race. My knowledge comes from racing full scale Moto. This is the norm that we would use on the tires for many reasons. 30 degrees above track temp was a rule of thumb. Honestly the warmers have not shown to be a huge benefit in my club. I now dont use Compound, just simple green with a little water, and the warmers.
621clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #8388
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to metalracer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
Tamiya tires? CMON MAN!
I know you been reading the threads.
How and why do you have Tamiya tires?
You shootin for a TCS asphalt race?

You do know what to get don't you?
When you score the right meats you'll be stylin and dialin. Til then, well, you get 3 minutes of barely average performance, carpet or ashpalt.
the tires cam with the car. i didnt buy them
I was going to get some pit tires but TQ was out of the tire that worked there.
AE B4.1W AE T4.1
metalracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #8389
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to metalracer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88gt View Post
Not sure why everyone is apprehensive (dare I say hating) on the Tamiya rubber tires. I've had great luck with them on carpet and asphalt. You have to have the car set up to exploit them - I have yet to lose to a car outfitted with anything but tamiya rubber.

The Carpet track we have out here will put a lot of build up on the tires. they worked ok for about 3 min then it just get loose and the car is not drivable.
AE B4.1W AE T4.1
metalracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #8390
Tech Regular

F104X1 /Sybrand FS104WW converted in a "Slim-WGT" 180 mm car, using ABC Hobby GT430 Response bodyshell, to have original wheelbase I used original F104 front arms. Very fast and stable car with 17.5T and thinking in turbo.

By rokosam at 2012-06-10
Old 06-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #8391
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

hey guys i have a couple questions. im new to the f1 scene. raced mine for the first time yesterday. while racing i was having an issue with the servo. it was good untill i hit something then the trim would go south. is this a common issue with th eservo saver or is my servo the problem. if i re centered the saver it would be good. it happened in the main and i tapped something again and it fixed itself. also if i buy the spur gear spacer can i run 48 pitch spurs. thanks for any info you can give

svr59tt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #8392
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr59tt95 View Post
hey guys i have a couple questions. im new to the f1 scene. raced mine for the first time yesterday. while racing i was having an issue with the servo. it was good untill i hit something then the trim would go south. is this a common issue with th eservo saver or is my servo the problem. if i re centered the saver it would be good. it happened in the main and i tapped something again and it fixed itself. also if i buy the spur gear spacer can i run 48 pitch spurs. thanks for any info you can give
the pom ring,or spur gear spacer allows you to use 48 pitch spur gears. good option if you want to play with gearing options(or are prone to lunching .04 spur gears like me)
as for the servo dilema,i had the same issue. i found the analog servos got some interferance and would do simular things as you described. i changed to a medium speed savox servo,changed the servo horn to the tamiya hi torque servo saver. keep an i on the ball cups to,if they are to tight they can cause the steering to bind up briefly.

Eagle Racing GRT FRD. Tamiya F103GT. Tamiya Blackfoot............ORIGINAL
kneedeeppow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #8393
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88gt View Post

They are pretty bad, especially in comparison to Pit Shimizus. You should actually be very pleased that you've had such good luck with them.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #8394
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeeppow View Post
the pom ring,or spur gear spacer allows you to use 48 pitch spur gears. good option if you want to play with gearing options(or are prone to lunching .04 spur gears like me)
as for the servo dilema,i had the same issue. i found the analog servos got some interferance and would do simular things as you described. i changed to a medium speed savox servo,changed the servo horn to the tamiya hi torque servo saver. keep an i on the ball cups to,if they are to tight they can cause the steering to bind up briefly.
thank you for your help i will switch out the servo and see if that works also order a new saver
Old 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #8395
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr59tt95 View Post
while racing i was having an issue with the servo. it was good untill i hit something then the trim would go south. is this a common issue with th eservo saver or is my servo the problem. if i re centered the saver it would be good. it happened in the main and i tapped something again and it fixed itself.
The servo is probably fine, the servo saver is rubbish though, makes the Tamiya ones seem good. By design all the Tamiya style servo savers will wear and create play around the neutral as the springs dig into the plastic under load. Get a Kimbrough servo saver and you will never have a problem again.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #8396
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

hello, i havent been on here for a while because f1 died where i race but, it seem to be coming back now. what tire are working for you guys running on a outdoor paved track with good grip, temps 90-100F? i last tried pits and they worked ok. any new tires out for the f104? ithanks.

Capricorn: LAB-C802, LAB E801, LAB-C03, and TE03. SWORKz: S350BK1 EVO II, S104EVO, S12-1M. CRC 235mm Pro-10, Top Rebel 12
gsxr0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #8397
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr0311 View Post
hello, i havent been on here for a while because f1 died where i race but, it seem to be coming back now. what tire are working for you guys running on a outdoor paved track with good grip, temps 90-100F? i last tried pits and they worked ok. any new tires out for the f104? ithanks.
I know a lot of guys have been having luck with the Pits 571/572 tires...

depending on how long ago you've tried the pits, but supposedly they changed and the tires got better in the last year
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #8398
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

ok, thanks. are those for the foam wheel or rubber wheel?

Capricorn: LAB-C802, LAB E801, LAB-C03, and TE03. SWORKz: S350BK1 EVO II, S104EVO, S12-1M. CRC 235mm Pro-10, Top Rebel 12
gsxr0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #8399
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr0311 View Post
ok, thanks. are those for the foam wheel or rubber wheel?
fits best on the Tamiya foam rims

check here

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...yword=&pg_no=1
Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #8400
Tech Fanatic

we just had our first parking lot race here in san diego in some time and i used shimzu f-1 med for the fronts and the rears where r3 softs. the temps were 95-and up