R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree5Likes

Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #7816
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Build begins tonight... still waiting on a few more parts to arrive, but all the vital bits are here, including RSector wide track kit for the rear (to bring the Rear more into line with the front width when using SGP1 spec tyres), and LiPo top deck
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F104 Pro!-f104wgp.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-rsector-parts.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #7817
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mkennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Build begins tonight... still waiting on a few more parts to arrive, but all the vital bits are here, including RSector wide track kit for the rear (to bring the Rear more into line with the front width when using SGP1 spec tyres), and LiPo top deck
are you done yet?? lol

anxious to see the build...oh, and congrats on your win!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #7818
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
are you done yet?? lol

anxious to see the build...oh, and congrats on your win!
Thanks Mike, and the same to you on the UF1 championship

Not done yet... still got 3hours to go in the office...
Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #7819
dfx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Build begins tonight...
Anxious to see the build too...
Old 03-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #7820
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I see that its finally available in the US as well, Tower has it.
texastc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #7821
PDR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Something I noticed a while back, but haven't done anything about, is there seems to be quite a bit of play between the bearings and rims at the front of the car. I'm not talking massive slop, but enough for the wheel to have noticeable play on the axle. Happens predominantly with the Tamiya foam rims - the Ride and Tamiya rubber rims are quite snug.

Is this common? Should I do anything about it? If so, what?
Making an A Main at a Scotty Ernst event. Awesome. Scotty calling you first in A1. Priceless
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #7822
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR View Post
Something I noticed a while back, but haven't done anything about, is there seems to be quite a bit of play between the bearings and rims at the front of the car. I'm not talking massive slop, but enough for the wheel to have noticeable play on the axle. Happens predominantly with the Tamiya foam rims - the Ride and Tamiya rubber rims are quite snug.

Is this common? Should I do anything about it? If so, what?
Do you have the shims installed? If not that is probably the culprit. The tolerances on the foam rims are a bit looser than they should be, but the shims are a must
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #7823
Tech Champion

So after a nights solid building... we're done (almost)

First up, I would add pics of the new chassis plate etc, but the camera screwed up, so will have to grab them again tonight... anyway, carbon edges all sanded, and glued. Didn't spend too much time on it, but looks better than stock

Next up is the all alloy rear pod, in black... me likey, likey a lot! Followed Rod's tips on building it (pressing down on all four corners whilst tightening the screws), and differed from the manual by assembling off of the t-plate, before bolting it all together. I do like the one-piece bottom plate/t-bar.. much less fiddly to build, although I'm still not convinced by the cut-out. It's bigger on this t-bar, and seems to make the pod a lot softer in longitudinal direction, so should make for more forward traction. The t-bar has been beefed up a bit in that region, but we'll see how it goes on track, and any issues, I'll switch out for a more normal one-piece (thinner, no cut-out).

Next pic shows the new chassis post arrangement, no more ESC wings, and nice narrow posts to fit wider LiPo's.

RSector LiPo top deck is next up, just used some nice blue cone washers, and flange blue lock nuts to bolt down. Also, not really shown but should mention, I'm using the heavy pivot post.

Last one of the rear just shows shock and roll damper mounted up. Just gone with my standard setting here...Shock: 3hole piston, Losi25wt oil, 2 o-rings inside to limit pod droop. Roll damper: Tamiya Soft damper greese. Only change was raising the rear shock mounting 2mm to take into account the raised front (due to the RSector top deck), so now have 5mm under the ball stud, rather than kit 3mm.

More pics next post!
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F104 Pro!-pod-tbar-2.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-pod-chassis-2.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-rsector-lipo-topdeck-3.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-centre-setup.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #7824
Tech Champion

So next on the agenda is front end...

Now, I've used the kit front axles here, namely as I haven't got any spare pivot balls to mount up the RSector wide track axles I've also got, but I'll get round to that soon.

One nice thing about the kit parts is that the axle can be trailing or inline with the same parts (although more pesky small screws).
It's also thinner, so (finally) can do a bit of ride-height adjustment. There's 1.5mm shims above and below the axle, so that's 3mm of height to play with

Otherwise, pretty standard front end. Built as my other car, gold (medium spring), with AW greese on the kingpin for a bit of damping.
I should mention that the kit comes with three types of front spring, and three centre (as did the X1), so plenty of options in the box.

I've also assembled the servo linkage already, and the one part lacking from the kit, IMO, is an alloy top-piece for the servo... I know tamiya make them in black, so can't understand why they haven't included one in the kit. It's one part I will for sure want to hunt out, don't trust the plastic piece.
Anyway, built the horn up to suit my intended servo mounting (spline up), so used 6mm of shims to put the ball joints in the right place.

As for the last two pics, well, pretty obvious really... kit includes both black and white wings to suit I'll be using the white, as it goes with the Brawn GP colours I run with for Team Bug in the SGP1 series.

Now, to spot the obvious parts left to go... Diff, and electrics...

Diff wise, I'm waiting on some parts to turn up (carbon shaft, spur spacer, smaller spur, one-piece thrust, ceramic balls), and I'll be building it up in exactly the same way as my X1 diff, which was super smooth and no slip. I'll also be using the RSector wide track rear parts, as we run to a 104sized rear in SGP1, so making the rear of the car wider to match closer to the front is going to be a benefit!

Electrics wise... simply waiting on a new servo to turn up, and at 2am in the morning I didn't fancy fighting with installing my (Black ) ExtremeStock esc...

Anyway, hope you all like, I've tried to go for a black with a hint of blue bling thing, and I think it works Will post more when the car is finished fully. Intend to go for first run this weekend, if the rest of the parts turn up!

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F104 Pro!-front-axle.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-front-axle-3.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-front-end-2.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-completed-white-wing.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-completed-black-wing.jpg  

Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #7825
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Took my f104 out today for the first time in awhile. I forgot how much I love this car. It is just a blast to drive.

I also decided to use some traction compound on a public basketball court I use to setup a track on. Between the traction compound and the sweeping I have not had the car handling this good on this surface ever. I went heavy with the compound just try to get a groove laid down on the track. I would drive for 5 minutes then reapply the compound letting it sit for about 5 minutes while I would sweep the track. I drove for a few hours and afterwards A clean line was developing. The tires were still coming off the traction with some fine dust but overall traction was good. I can't wait to get some more wheel time. If the F104 was the only car I owned I would be just fine with that.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #7826
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

dose harder spring in the center shock give more rear traction?
I am in need of more rear traction. with tamiya tires, using kit fronts and soft rears hard sping in front already.. using the 104 not the X anyone have any input?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #7827
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicko View Post
I am in need of more rear traction. with tamiya tires, using kit fronts and soft rears hard sping in front already.. using the 104 not the X anyone have any input?
20-30wt oil in shock. Soft spring. Add 1-2mm pre load on shock. High traction t bar. Centre screw Tighten till its even with t bar then undo it a full turn. Ensure rear is even or a touch higher than front. I'd put the medium spring back in the front but that's nothing to do with rear traction.

Also the guys with pros at my track remove the friction plate completely so side motion is only controlled by t bar.
J-PaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #7828
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicko View Post
Go to softest rear spring, light 20 to 30 w oil, 3 hole piston, loose friction plates with lite or even no lube, back out or even take out the center T plate screw (hi traction with cutout T plate) but glue o ring in place. Rear end should be floppy with nothing binding, wires trapped by body etc. Clean the Tamiya tires with Simple Green and give that a go. It should be a whole different car. That should be a good head start.
Kit ride height front and rear.
Works for me.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #7829
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tamiya RM-01/F104X1 Aluminum Roll Damper Set
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #7830
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Will the aluminum roll damper set make a big difference over the stock setup on the X1?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote