Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default The instruction on how to make the TRG link suspension.

Here is the instruction on how to make the TRG link suspension.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TRG LinkSuspension_Part1.pdf (287.4 KB, 348 views)
File Type: pdf
Kingpins_Part2.pdf (115.0 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by MaxSp97; 12-22-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: info update
Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Csaari77
We have been having some decent results using the Tamiya tires on carpet. I've been using scuffed in softs and really used hards in the front. Full sauce in the rear and half in front. I haven't tried a brand new set yet because the used ones have been hooking up well.
You guys must have different carpet down there then, because up here, after about 5 laps the tires look like something the cat coughed up
Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by superspeed
Bodyset should include a manual, right? I think he just bought the body not the entire bodyset.
Correct
Old 12-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
You guys must have different carpet down there then, because up here, after about 5 laps the tires look like something the cat coughed up
Same here... Tamiya on carpet is near impossible to drive, first few laps are OK, but it goes down hill very quickly...
Old 12-23-2011, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaxSp97
Here is the instruction on how to make the TRG link suspension.
great work thanks im sold parts are on order !
Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Not sure why we have gotten results with the Tamiya tires. The carpet is older, not sure how old. The tires we are using have a few heat cycles on pavement put through them, and then onto the carpet.

I ordered a set of the Shimizu tires to try at our next point race. After all the reviews I've seen, I had to try them.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

What kind of wear are you guys getting out of the Shimizus?
So far it looks like 1 set of tires is going to last me atleast half the indoor season on carpet.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not sure why we have gotten results with the Tamiya tires. The carpet is older, not sure how old. The tires we are using have a few heat cycles on pavement put through them, and then onto the carpet.

I ordered a set of the Shimizu tires to try at our next point race. After all the reviews I've seen, I had to try them.
I have only gotten Tamiya tires to work at one track, and that was when the groove was really black. The tires work fine, but they get sticky when they heat up. A black groove is not going to have a lot of fiber to pick up, so that is why they may have been ok. If your carpet is older and has little loose fiber, that may be the reason you're able to use the tires.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Hello guys, so I started assembly on the X1 and all went smooth, I just don't like quite much the new tamiya material used for the chassis and top deck... I was wondering if using the long carbon fiber top deck bring any advantage/disadvantage runing on shimizu tires on asphalt? No plans on a standard X1 short top deck in carbon fiber?

I may consider even installing the carbon chasis if no disadvantage will take place.

Oscar
Old 12-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arix
Hello guys, so I started assembly on the X1 and all went smooth, I just don't like quite much the new tamiya material used for the chassis and top deck... I was wondering if using the long carbon fiber top deck bring any advantage/disadvantage runing on shimizu tires on asphalt? No plans on a standard X1 short top deck in carbon fiber?

I may consider even installing the carbon chasis if no disadvantage will take place.

Oscar
I'd be willing to bet that when you start to stiffen up the chassis you will begin to lose all of that great rear grip, especially on asphalt. The flexy stuff was done on purpose to help this car dig in.
May get away with the stiffer setup on carpet tho.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
I'd be willing to bet that when you start to stiffen up the chassis you will begin to lose all of that great rear grip, especially on asphalt. The flexy stuff was done on purpose to help this car dig in.
May get away with the stiffer setup on carpet tho.

I noticed while prototype testing that a flexible chassis created more steering I was told by someone in Japan that that would happen. I think it is because the front is lighter and narrower then the battery end so unsprung weight at the front naturally creates more responsiveness at that end.

I think Tamiya uses the fiberglass to add a little steering, make the car heavier (more stable) and save on some $$$. Fiberglass is 1/4 the cost of good carbon fiber....
Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My all fiber glass F103 is an absolute monster of a car in just about any situation i can drive the nuts off it.

My EXO104 requires a finer touch but it's still a nice car which puts in great lap times when you're on it.. I guess kinda like Mike R has said before the older Exotek F104 is quite agressive and it takes a lot of concentration to keep it in check.

I do think a lot of people see Fiber glass as cheap instead of an alternative to Carbon.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
I noticed while prototype testing that a flexible chassis created more steering I was told by someone in Japan that that would happen. I think it is because the front is lighter and narrower then the battery end so unsprung weight at the front naturally creates more responsiveness at that end.

I think Tamiya uses the fiberglass to add a little steering, make the car heavier (more stable) and save on some $$$. Fiberglass is 1/4 the cost of good carbon fiber....
In my experience, a softer chassis has more overall grip but a stiffer chassis responds better to changes. As far as my F1 goes Im still fine tuning it but mine seems to be overall stiffer than a few of the locals I have run with and im still looking to go stiffer. lol
Old 12-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR

I have found the same thing. I even went to a graphite chassis on my X1 at the Tamiya nationals to take away steering.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I still can't get my EXO104 as dialed as my F103, I know the setup is there it's like you said the stiffer chassis responds to changes better so my lack of setup knowledge/experience makes setting up the EXO104 harder.

I'm convinced the setup to make the EXO104 drive as well is in there just it's on more of a fine 'point' than the F103.

Totally to do with chassis stiffness too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.