Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm hoping Tamiya will take a clue from 3 Racing's new FGX and evolve the 104 with Independent rear suspension... If you want to produce a car who's main appeal is scale, then it's pretty easy to see what they have to do...

A little wishful thinking on my part
Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TPhalen
I'm sure if enough guys showed up with them we could run them.
Originally Posted by JamesHealey
Bring back the 103, FOAMS FOAMS FOAMS!

Can you dig it? :P
Warriors, come out to playay! Love that movie!

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Me can dig it
Still driving the F103 on foams.
Even in the Dutch Tamiya Challenge.
We only use rubber when it is raining or on a very dusty or low grip track.

regards Roy
All I need to do is pull off the LeMans body and bumper, oh yeh and pull the condoms off the tires and I'm good to go 103 racin.
In defense of the 104 though, it's a much racier car now that we finally have some good meats on em and the Realistic class is super cool lookin on the track so if that's the trend I'm good with that too.
Just glad the car is fast now.

What the new F104WGT will start is a very interesting question.
Wide car with X1 damper rear end etc.
As stated earlier, gonna need some good rubber tires again to go with that.
Doesn't seem to be that big of a deal but if it's gonna be included in the TCS racing Tamiya's gonna have to get back to the table and come up with stuff that's a bit better than what they offer for the 104 (nothing but plastic tires available for the 103) now cuz they're gettin smoked by the aftermarkets.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lightfoot
I'm hoping Tamiya will take a clue from 3 Racing's new FGX and evolve the 104 with Independent rear suspension... If you want to produce a car who's main appeal is scale, then it's pretty easy to see what they have to do...

A little wishful thinking on my part
With the way people have gone apesh!t over the FGX, you would think Tamiya is paying attention. I bet we see a response of some sort. FGX this weekend for me
Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If tamiya go irs I'm off. Not interested in f1 if they're not pan cars.
Wgt/pro ten here i come.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

My only concern with IRS is it will lead to much higher costs.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Drive them both
The Tamiya F103 and F104 both in wide config and Pro10 235MM.
They are and will be a blast to drive.
IRS will make the car perhaps more balanced but will take out the charm of the F1 and pan cars as it is now.
No IRS for me.
If i want that i will only drive TC or offroad 2WD

regards Roy

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
If tamiya go irs I'm off. Not interested in f1 if they're not pan cars.
Wgt/pro ten here i come.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The real debate has to happen on the racetrack. As long as costs don't skyrocket, I welcome the irs option. But if there is no performance benifit and the costs are greater, what's the point? So far it looks like 3racing is keeping the cost pretty comparable, aside from some saying the front suspension is fragile. Put 'em ALL together on the track (except corally) and see who's got what. And speaking of Corally, I wish that car came back with a Tamiya front suspension option
Old 11-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think that scale realism is the key to f1's popularity. The last thing it needs to become is wallet racing like touring cars definitely are .
I personally bought the the FGX for three main reasons :

I hate balls diffs and their maintenance .

I.R.S is more realistic.

The kits are cheap , as are the parts and hopups.

From what I have heard , the FGX kit setup is biased toward understeer , which is easier to drive , especially for beginners. More time spent with the car will deliver the steering for sure.

I truly hope Tamiya do sit up and take notice, since they are the Kings of scale realism , which many of us appreciate..
I also believe that a fully blinged out FGX , won't be any dearer than an X1
Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff D.
The real debate has to happen on the racetrack. As long as costs don't skyrocket, I welcome the irs option. But if there is no performance benifit and the costs are greater, what's the point? So far it looks like 3racing is keeping the cost pretty comparable, aside from some saying the front suspension is fragile. Put 'em ALL together on the track (except corally) and see who's got what. And speaking of Corally, I wish that car came back with a Tamiya front suspension option
Got a 103 front end fitted on a corally chassis... have not tested it yet.. just drilled the holes.. and fitted it on.. so it fits and there is an option.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

RedBull, nice to hear from someone who "gets it". I agree completely. Keep F1 scale; don't go down the touring car or WGT pan car route, as that will destroy F1 racing for sure! The guys who want all-out performance with shaved foams and "blob" bodies should race touring car or WGT or 1/12 pan car or something like, that where all-out performance comes before scale realism. Or if they insist on an all-out performance F1 war, let them all buy Corally F1 cars, which are not really F1 anyway, and race them with shaved foams, huge wings, etc. and form their own "unlimited" F1 class.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

+1 on that one i like the fact the cars are easy to work on, and that they also the part out on the track. and the fact they are nice and cheap and bring a huge a smaile to your face when driving them .

i also race TC but generally on a club day i race my F1 before my TC .
Old 11-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RedBullRacing
I think that scale realism is the key to f1's popularity. The last thing it needs to become is wallet racing like touring cars definitely are .
I have to laugh just a bit at this. I started out with 1/10th scale pan car oval and that had got to a point where it was wallet racing. Sure the chassis didn't cost as much but it was all about battery/motor/speed control/charger of the week and a set of tires didn't last but a couple race days...unless you hit something then they were one shot wonders. Guys had their own tire truers too and it's one reason why I HATE foams...

Touring cars started off as scale cars too and, coupled with the ability to drive them on just about any paved surface, is what made them so popular. Their popularity is what turned them into money pits.

I just don't think "Keeping F1 Realistic" is enough to keep it from turning into wallet racing. My perspective is the rules have to be very specific and restrictive which, many will argue, will limit the popularity of the class. That may be, but I feel the focus of F1 rules needs to be on keeping a realistic class that's low cost.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

I've found what works better is not to be too restrictive on the chassis but keep the motor and battery restrictive enough to where a box stock chassis and a hopped up chassis competes well against each other.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We have something similar here with the Pro10 class.
It needs to be between 200(WGT) and 235MM, you have to use a 10.5 motor with 2S lipo and you can't use any Lola type body.
The rest is all up to you.
If you want to run a "old" RC10L2 it fine.
If you want to run a Corally SL10 235MM it is also ok.
If you want to run a home made car,great.
As long as it is between 200 and 235MM and has a 10.5 motor and 2S lipo in it.
It is fun and not that expencive if you know how to drive those cars.
Speeds are up to 100KM/H or faster depending on track lenght for the speed junkies
Most of the tracks we race on, you can use the same type of tires.
This will also keep the costs down.

regards Roy
Old 11-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Jeff D asked if there is an option.. The car I have has been converted down to 190mm.. so there should be no problem using it.
Also can run F1 style foams now.. I understand if the car is Pro10 wide its not right..

I could probably even fit a 104 front end on it..

Its an option for ppl that have these cars sitting on the shelf is all.. get more cars running f1.. mix it up a bit.. get some cheap 3 racing parts and its able to run. Can run any F103/04 control tire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.