R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #6241
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,531
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
When I added weight I copied Austin B. the TCS Finals winner and added the weight to the wings/trays to the electronics then mounted the elecs on top.

This was an effort to resemble the F103 cross chassis battery mounting position and we all know the F103 kicks the F104's ass.
+1 you will experience dramatic changes
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #6242
PDR
Tech Master
 
PDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,825
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
+1 you will experience dramatic changes
I haven't added quite that much weight yet, but without a doubt, the extra weight with the right tyres has made the car actually fun to drive. Gap between 1st and 2nd last night at our club meet was under .5 seconds over 5 mins. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the fast guys weren't there.

Evening race, with ambient temps in the high teens (celcius), the RC4Less SS rears and the Tamiya B foams worked really well together. The RC4Less medium fronts have way too much grip and I can't find a rear to match them. Might have to try the hard compound...
__________________
Looking for chassis | Multiple Kids
2011 Slowest Winner - 21.5 Muchmore Masters & NSW State Titles Demo Class
https://www.facebook.com/phatdadracing/
Making an A Main at a Scotty Ernst event. Awesome. Scotty calling you first in A1. Priceless
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #6243
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,453
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR View Post
I haven't added quite that much weight yet, but without a doubt, the extra weight with the right tyres has made the car actually fun to drive. Gap between 1st and 2nd last night at our club meet was under .5 seconds over 5 mins. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the fast guys weren't there.

Evening race, with ambient temps in the high teens (celcius), the RC4Less SS rears and the Tamiya B foams worked really well together. The RC4Less medium fronts have way too much grip and I can't find a rear to match them. Might have to try the hard compound...
Always had the same problem with the front foams on the F103, too much steering with the HBR Mediums but no steering with the harder compounds.
Superglue dots on the front medium tires worked wonders and helped me be able to drive the snot out of the car.
The glue dots wear out too quickly so I cut tiny slots in the tire surface and dropped the glue into the slots and they were perfect as they would last several races and actually slowed tire wear significantly.
About 8 equally spaced slots around the outside 1/4 of the tire contact surface. That's where they wear quickest anyway and works great!
If still too grippy, slot and glue the inner 1/4 also.

Quick test some simple dots on your tires and see, it'll wear out quickly and if you don't like it then no harm is done to your tires. If you like it, cut some slots with the tips of small wire cutters or lexan body scissors.

I managed to be the foam F103 TCS Regional winner with this tire setup before they killed the class for the F104 "Parade" car class.
I still run this car with this setup at the UF1 Series races but that class is gettin killed there too next season.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #6244
Tech Regular
 
tudor_47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
Always had the same problem with the front foams on the F103, too much steering with the HBR Mediums but no steering with the harder compounds.
Superglue dots on the front medium tires worked wonders and helped me be able to drive the snot out of the car.
The glue dots wear out too quickly so I cut tiny slots in the tire surface and dropped the glue into the slots and they were perfect as they would last several races and actually slowed tire wear significantly.
About 8 equally spaced slots around the outside 1/4 of the tire contact surface. That's where they wear quickest anyway and works great!
If still too grippy, slot and glue the inner 1/4 also.

Quick test some simple dots on your tires and see, it'll wear out quickly and if you don't like it then no harm is done to your tires. If you like it, cut some slots with the tips of small wire cutters or lexan body scissors.

I managed to be the foam F103 TCS Regional winner with this tire setup before they killed the class for the F104 "Parade" car class.
I still run this car with this setup at the UF1 Series races but that class is gettin killed there too next season.
Thanks!
good advice and I will test it,
I had same problem with the Cross F1 foam wheels i recently bought.
too much steering.
/Johnny
__________________
Xray T4-14 (BLS551,4.5T/8.5T, Spectrum), Xray X10-15 (Lajf Racing widened 235 4T, IRS)
Lajf Racing P28(LiPo, spectrum), Lajf Racing P28GT (LiPo, spectrum )
Xray X1(21,5T, spectrum) Tamiya M05(tamiya ESC, silver can, spectrum)

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #6245
Tech Rookie
 
ubik77es's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Spain
Posts: 19
Default

This is my F104 F60 with the basic options to make it PRO. Using pretty worn Tamiya rubber tyres and hobbywing 13T combo and before add weight. Thats how my car behave on our circuit. I need to improve curve pass, but with my little experience on hobby I think is more pilot problem than car. Hope you enjoy

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
ubik77es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #6246
Tech Elite
 
mattwoodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: perth / australia
Posts: 2,747
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

thanks for sharing the vid
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #6247
Tech Adept
 
Oortael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 172
Default

Nice video!
Oortael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #6248
Tech Adept
 
monkeyracing.cz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brno, Czech Rep.
Posts: 214
Default

Nice video and nice track!
__________________
www.monkeyracing.cz | www.rallybrno.cz
monkeyracing.cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #6249
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Default

hello all

actually wanted to post a vid of my f104w, but not enough posts ->

i just read that "‎54331 F104X1 Upper Deck Rolling Damper Set" is coming, wonder if that is a full conversion set?

gonna have my first race this week -> hopefully i won't suck
djaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #6250
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Default

[YOUTUBE]youtube.com/watch?v=gnvh6PGdxbQ[/YOUTUBE]

sry thought i can trick this system ;)
djaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #6251
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,531
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaxy View Post
hello all

actually wanted to post a vid of my f104w, but not enough posts ->

i just read that "‎54331 F104X1 Upper Deck Rolling Damper Set" is coming, wonder if that is a full conversion set?

gonna have my first race this week -> hopefully i won't suck
Fred mentioned the side damper parts were going to be available separately, so i would assume it's the short deck and damper..maybe the pod piece too?
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #6252
Tech Elite
 
lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 3,574
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaxy View Post
[YOUTUBE]youtube.com/watch?v=gnvh6PGdxbQ[/YOUTUBE]

sry thought i can trick this system
Now thats a big track... wow... where is it located ?
__________________
Love and Peace...
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #6253
Tech Elite
 
rtypec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,969
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Fred mentioned the side damper parts were going to be available separately, so i would assume it's the short deck and damper..maybe the pod piece too?
Yes...everyting you want Probably be here in a month or four
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #6254
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubik77es View Post
This is my F104 F60 with the basic options to make it PRO. Using pretty worn Tamiya rubber tyres and hobbywing 13T combo and before add weight. Thats how my car behave on our circuit. I need to improve curve pass, but with my little experience on hobby I think is more pilot problem than car. Hope you enjoy

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Great Video, Great track, where is that?
Warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #6255
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,251
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtypec View Post
Yes...everyting you want Probably be here in a month or four
Maybe will be in blue, just for you Rod...
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 05:57 AM
Tamiya F104, HPI F10 and POPULARITY bxpitbull Electric On-Road 28 07-22-2011 07:13 AM
HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro daygoVR6 Electric On-Road 38 12-03-2010 02:19 PM
FS: Tamiya F103RM and F104 Pro! SerpentCT4S R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 42 09-12-2009 05:59 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:30 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net