R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #5296
Tech Regular
 
eevul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 356
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
If you haven't already...try using sun tan lotion after your normal tire compound. It seems to make it last a lil longer. Also what traction compound are you using and are there any restrictions at the track on what you can use? Also are you doing the whole front tire? If so try doing just the inner half...that will help with the oversteer as well.
Actually, the car has so much steering that I don't even use traction compound on the front. As mentioned in my post, I have used Niftec and Jack the gripper. I am using full sauce on the rear, letting it sit for anywhere from 10 - 15 minutes. We are supposed to use odorless traction compound so this is what the LHS carries.
eevul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #5297
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,527
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboySiR View Post
thanks for the info...i thought you were the guy who blogged on the RCF1 site about modding a Tekin 1/18th esc for 540 use but I guess I was mistaken.

Anyhow, thanks again for that. looks like I may be spending a bit more money soon.
I think that was Greg Sharpe's article..
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #5298
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stockport, UK
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevul View Post
I am using full sauce on the rear, letting it sit for anywhere from 10 - 15 minutes. We are supposed to use odorless traction compound so this is what the LHS carries.
Way too short a time, coat the tyres at least 30 minutes before your first race to give the additive time to work itself into the tyre. Reduce the time as necessary between races to compensate for the pre treatment on the tyres.

Also make sure you are using the same type of additive as the other cars, different additives act differently on the track surface, running the wrong type of additive compared to the others will kill your grip. At my track the touring cars use LRP, the F1s went through various additives before settling on Nosram Carpet, the difference was amazing and being a similar formula to LRP they work well together.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #5299
Tech Adept
 
Oortael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 172
Default

Which tire warmers fit the Tamiya tires?
Oortael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #5300
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oortael View Post
Which tire warmers fit the Tamiya tires?
I've tried tire warmers from muchmore with cups (also available from tamiya) and it fits perfectly
addicted2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #5301
Tech Addict
 
cheROK1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Noneyadammy
Posts: 571
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2blue View Post
I've tried tire warmers from muchmore with cups (also available from tamiya) and it fits perfectly
Warm CLEAN rubber tires can b big.
__________________
...hold my 'stones.

Last edited by cheROK1212; 05-31-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: public school education
cheROK1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #5302
Tech Master
 
240Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,115
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I have no idea about other escs, but I have a Mongoose in one of my cars, and it's plug and play. I soldered it up to the 21.5 and it was good to go.
Hey Rob,
I have it on good second hand information that the Mongoose ESC is plug and play for the 540J brushed motor. Remove the sensor wire, solder two of the three wires to the motor and you are good to go. Check the manual for details on which two.

The Mongoose works fine in my 104/21.5 setup. I do have one complaint about the way the power comes on like a switch at the low end. Even with a -100% setting on my throttle curve, you need to squeeze gently coming out of a corner. It may just be my preference, but I prefer a more gentle acceleration. What is your experience?
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #5303
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,295
Default

Hello All ,
New to this car and the thread...... understandably I guess :-)

I was wondering.... is this car legal for the Tamiya series here in the states?

Also, for my local track I was going to fit a 17.5 brushless motor and Li-Po combo'. Will that work?

I do not have the car in my hands yet and I've been quoted $249 for it ... new. Is that good and will the motor/ Battery combo' work?

Thank you in advance.

Menace
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #5304
Tech Master
 
240Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,115
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Hello All ,
New to this car and the thread...... understandably I guess :-)

I was wondering.... is this car legal for the Tamiya series here in the states?

Also, for my local track I was going to fit a 17.5 brushless motor and Li-Po combo'. Will that work?

I do not have the car in my hands yet and I've been quoted $249 for it ... new. Is that good and will the motor/ Battery combo' work?

Thank you in advance.

Menace
Yes it is legal. In fact currently the Tamiya F104 is the only TCS legal chassis for the series this year. For more info on what you need to run for the series, check the Tamiya web site. You can also ask TCS related questions on the TCS forum here at RCTECH.

17.5 is a lot of motor for these cars. It will work, but you may end up dialing out some of the power to keep the rear from trying to get ahead of the front. We have found 21.5 to be about right. Keep in mind that BL is not TCS legal.

LiPo is the only way to go in electric. For the F104, using a rectangular pack may not fit very well. Most drivers opt for the pack with rounded corners shaped like a NiMh pack.

$249 is about right I guess. Tamiya makes a lot of different F104 kits, black bling, blue bling, different option packages, some have bodies some do not. All are in that price range. At the moment, everybody is waiting to see how the recently announced F104X1 is going to perform when it is released.
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #5305
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z View Post
Yes it is legal. In fact currently the Tamiya F104 is the only TCS legal chassis for the series this year. For more info on what you need to run for the series, check the Tamiya web site. You can also ask TCS related questions on the TCS forum here at RCTECH.

17.5 is a lot of motor for these cars. It will work, but you may end up dialing out some of the power to keep the rear from trying to get ahead of the front. We have found 21.5 to be about right. Keep in mind that BL is not TCS legal.

LiPo is the only way to go in electric. For the F104, using a rectangular pack may not fit very well. Most drivers opt for the pack with rounded corners shaped like a NiMh pack.

$249 is about right I guess. Tamiya makes a lot of different F104 kits, black bling, blue bling, different option packages, some have bodies some do not. All are in that price range. At the moment, everybody is waiting to see how the recently announced F104X1 is going to perform when it is released.
Hey ... thank you for the reply and the info'..... I will have to see about a 21.5 motor I guess :-)

ANy word on the F104X1 yet .... anyone :-)
Didn't now about it till now.
Although to get the feel of running an F1 car maybe I should kick off with a F104 PRO..... what do you think?

Menace
Spares and consumable parts to order? .... I'm thinking a front wing?? :-)
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #5306
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,453
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Hey ... thank you for the reply and the info'..... I will have to see about a 21.5 motor I guess :-)

ANy word on the F104X1 yet .... anyone :-)
Didn't now about it till now.
Although to get the feel of running an F1 car maybe I should kick off with a F104 PRO..... what do you think?

Menace
Spares and consumable parts to order? .... I'm thinking a front wing?? :-)
If you're gonna jump in before the X1 comes out another consideration would be the non pro kits that come with rubber tires, fiberglass chassis with more flex for asphalt opposed to the stiffer graphite, cooler bodies IMO but are lacking aluminum rear pod and front wheel bearings but then again they have the rear axle/diff setup I personally prefer which can be adjusted without pulling the wheel off each time.
On the other hand you will need to adjust the diff each time you do pull the wheel off but I still prefer to set my diff each time I run my car.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #5307
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
If you're gonna jump in before the X1 comes out another consideration would be the non pro kits that come with rubber tires, fiberglass chassis with more flex for asphalt opposed to the stiffer graphite, cooler bodies IMO but are lacking aluminum rear pod and front wheel bearings but then again they have the rear axle/diff setup I personally prefer which can be adjusted without pulling the wheel off each time.
On the other hand you will need to adjust the diff each time you do pull the wheel off but I still prefer to set my diff each time I run my car.
Hey thanks for the input CUDA .....
I have been driving nitro tourers for some time ..... Got an electric tourer right now. Lots of fun, but always wanted to own and race an F1 car. Not many around where I am but thats ok.
Not sure where the nearest place to go race these things would be or where the Tamiya races would be that I could get to?? .... but I would still lie to build and "have a go" as it were.

I guess we need to keep our eyes on Tamiya website to see when the X1 comes out :-)

Thanks again all
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #5308
Tech Addict
 
cheROK1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Noneyadammy
Posts: 571
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Not many around where I am but thats ok...
Not sure where the nearest place to go race these things would be...
Come on down to Leisure Hours in Joliet mate (or is that Australian?). I know it's a haul for you but it's like Spa for these F1 cars. BTW, wait for the 104X
__________________
...hold my 'stones.
cheROK1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #5309
Tech Elite
 
mattwoodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: perth / australia
Posts: 2,747
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

has any body heard the release date yet on the 104x, i am looking forward to getting one of these.

i understand what you mean about over powering i put a 13.5 turn in and i really did not enjoy the drive at all. It would only be a matter of time before i would need a new F1. i will have to get a 21.5 but more the mean time put my sports tuned back in
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #5310
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
If you're gonna jump in before the X1 comes out another consideration would be the non pro kits that come with rubber tires, fiberglass chassis with more flex for asphalt opposed to the stiffer graphite, cooler bodies IMO but are lacking aluminum rear pod and front wheel bearings but then again they have the rear axle/diff setup I personally prefer which can be adjusted without pulling the wheel off each time.
On the other hand you will need to adjust the diff each time you do pull the wheel off but I still prefer to set my diff each time I run my car.
Is an example of a non-pro kit the F104 Vodafone McLaren etc.?

Personally I really like the body etc. that comes with it and if they have the rear axle/diff setup which can be adjusted without pulling the wheel off each time then that is a consideration for sure
fritzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 05:57 AM
Tamiya F104, HPI F10 and POPULARITY bxpitbull Electric On-Road 28 07-22-2011 07:13 AM
HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro daygoVR6 Electric On-Road 38 12-03-2010 02:19 PM
FS: Tamiya F103RM and F104 Pro! SerpentCT4S R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 42 09-12-2009 05:59 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:00 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net