R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #5236
Tech Addict
 
gtfour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 657
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Love the rain shots lightfoot. Just awesome!
__________________
www.activrc.com
gtfour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #5237
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb525 View Post

Am I the only one that saw the connection?
Great photo!
Have you any video of this raining race?
Are you running with rubber slicks?
Regards
victor_assob4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #5238
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,926
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_assob4 View Post
Great photo!
Have you any video of this raining race?
Are you running with rubber slicks?
Regards
from the looks of those pics, seems like they all are running rubber tires

the F104 handles surprisingly well with rubber slicks (tamiya optional tires) in the rain..Mine actually handled better in the wet then it did on the dry track
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #5239
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,424
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

It wasn't a race but was a lot of fun to run em during the rain delay and eventually rain postponed TCS Regional race.

Slicks did work well but there was no warning as to when it would spin, no sliding on this day, stuck or spun with no in between.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F104 Pro!-f1-rain.jpg  
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #5240
Tech Master
 
CR0SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: EL Jebel
Posts: 1,498
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I just finished doing some driving in the wet. I was very surprised how hooked up the car was. It was actually hooked up more the wetter it was. As things started to dry out traction was harder to find.
__________________
You know the guy that beat you at the last race? It was not because of his car, or motor, or battery, it is because he was a better driver. Now go practice so you can beat him.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #5241
Tech Elite
 
lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 3,550
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
I just finished doing some driving in the wet. I was very surprised how hooked up the car was. It was actually hooked up more the wetter it was. As things started to dry out traction was harder to find.
Interesting you say that because I noticed the same thing when I went out with Doug that raining Tamiya day... The strange thing was that his car was way hooked up when the rain was light but as soon as the rain picked up , his car was loosing traction and spun out while mine started to hook up... we were both driving TCS spec cars with the same soft rears and hard fronts, the only major difference we could tell was that his tires were very worn and mine were new for that weekend... It was a very noticeable difference ... Eventually it does get so wet that it becomes almost impossible to drive...

And the other cool thing is with NO weather proofing these cars are totally fine... with open wheels 95% of the water stays outside... I think we had a total of 5 F1's running for about 30 minutes each , non had a problem... a couple of sedans went out and within a few minutes one smoked something electronic and was done...

Tamiya track was perfect to run in the rain, covered drivers stand
__________________
Love and Peace...
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #5242
Tech Master
 
CR0SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: EL Jebel
Posts: 1,498
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I am running a F104 with the Exotek and I have used styrene to flatten/seal the underside for the rear diffuser.

The only weather proofing I did was cover the holes in side pods. After at least 15-20 minutes of running the inside of the car was still dry!

I am just happy because it has been raining a ton here lately and I can still get out and drive.

Tempted to get a set of tires and try putting a wet tread pattern in them
__________________
You know the guy that beat you at the last race? It was not because of his car, or motor, or battery, it is because he was a better driver. Now go practice so you can beat him.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #5243
AMZ
Tech Regular
 
AMZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
I just finished doing some driving in the wet. I was very surprised how hooked up the car was. It was actually hooked up more the wetter it was. As things started to dry out traction was harder to find.
My son and I run 104pros on our large concrete driveway, and we wet it with the hose for MORE traction.
Wet is good,to a point , on the rubber tires.
AMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 AM   #5244
Tech Master
 
CR0SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: EL Jebel
Posts: 1,498
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Playing in the Rain
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
__________________
You know the guy that beat you at the last race? It was not because of his car, or motor, or battery, it is because he was a better driver. Now go practice so you can beat him.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #5245
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,168
Default

Tamiya rubber has always been that way...once the track gets wet enough it actually has more grip than in the dry.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 AM   #5246
Tech Adept
 
Oortael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 172
Default

How do you protect your electonics from getting wet? I will use a silvercan and a Tamiya TEU-302 and an LRP LiPo 4000 but don't have a clue how to seal them properly.
Oortael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #5247
Tech Master
 
CR0SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: EL Jebel
Posts: 1,498
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

The motor and servo are not really effected by the water. With the car being open wheel you just need to keep water from getting inside the body. If you have any vent holes in the body cover them up. It is difficult for water to get in under the body so you do not need to do much there.
__________________
You know the guy that beat you at the last race? It was not because of his car, or motor, or battery, it is because he was a better driver. Now go practice so you can beat him.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #5248
Tech Elite
 
lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 3,550
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Vid from that day at Tamiya....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUdFm...el_video_title
__________________
Love and Peace...
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #5249
Tech Master
 
superspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,148
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
The motor and servo are not really effected by the water. With the car being open wheel you just need to keep water from getting inside the body. If you have any vent holes in the body cover them up. It is difficult for water to get in under the body so you do not need to do much there.
What servo are you using?

Maybe it would be fun for TCS race to spray small amount of water on the track for F1 race hehe. I should have kept the F201 special tuned chassis I had 8 years ago.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #5250
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,424
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
Mr. Lightfoot isn't gonna tell ya cuz he's that kind of guy but that's his car in the video and he's the one that got us to follow him out onto the track so he could lie down in the puddles and shoot those bitchin shots of us playin in the wet!

Why isn't my rain light blinking?

As far as waterproofing the electronics, when the Offroad World Championships were run in the rain and mud in Japan a few years ago, the guys were using the putty for hanging pictures which is available at the hardware stores.
It doesn't dry and has the consistency of chewing gum, they would form it around any plugs or holes in the electronics including the banana plugs in the lipos.
When I got my F104 home after these rain shots, my receiver was full of water and I was sketchin about the lipo too.
I blew it out gently with a compressor and then a hairdryer then just parked it under a shop lamp for the rest of the day to keep it warming up and drying out.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F104 Pro!-_mg_2295.jpg  
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 05:57 AM
Tamiya F104, HPI F10 and POPULARITY bxpitbull Electric On-Road 28 07-22-2011 07:13 AM
HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro daygoVR6 Electric On-Road 38 12-03-2010 02:19 PM
FS: Tamiya F103RM and F104 Pro! SerpentCT4S R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 42 09-12-2009 05:59 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:59 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net