Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 05-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Whoa, talk about a lightweight chassis.
More like an invisible chassis. I wanted to place it on a chassis, but I only have the F104W, with F103 front arms.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
i like the look of the F60 body more so than the one that came with my pro kit.

what after market wings can you get for the f104 as i assume it plays an important roll in set ups to most of the wings i have looked say they are for f103 are these the same ?
3racing makes a set for the f104.

also, to the question about the shark fin... i just cut one out into the shape of a fin when i cut the original air inlet. there is enough material to do so.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya F104 Pro!-imag0248.jpg  
Old 05-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by abailey21
very true, neither will work for him unless he just uses common sense for a LiPo cutoff, of a Jedi mind trick if you will

And your right, tamiyas manual doesn't state the cutoff, but it is known that LiFe cutoff's are about 2.2-2.4v per cell
Fresh out of Jedi mind tricks here so perhaps I'll just go for one of these

Futaba (#MC231CR) FET Speed Controller

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bru...l?cPath=293_51

It appears to have the LiPo cutoff if that is what BEC means?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fritzzz
Fresh out of Jedi mind tricks here so perhaps I'll just go for one of these

Futaba (#MC231CR) FET Speed Controller

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bru...l?cPath=293_51

It appears to have the LiPo cutoff if that is what BEC means?
No, BEC means Battery Eliminator Circuit.

As far as I know that ESC does not have a LiPo cut off.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

is there any advantages at all to be had with the after market wings or are the F104 kit wings okay
Old 05-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by digitrc
No, BEC means Battery Eliminator Circuit.

As far as I know that ESC does not have a LiPo cut off.
Sheeesh, it's almost getting to the cost point where I'd be better off buying an ESC / motor combo and ditching the stock can...
Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sheeesh, it's almost getting to the cost point where I'd be better off buying an ESC / motor combo and ditching the stock can...
Just because the standard ESC doesn't have a LiPo cutoff doesn't mean you can't use LiPo.

It just means you need to be aware of when the car is losing power and stop running immediately. If you are bashing, or are not an experienced driver, you might not notice in time.

If so, you can fit an external alarm/cut-off.

Or you can follow the advice above that the LiFe cutoff doesn't damage the LiPos, despite the lower voltage. At your own risk, obviously.

There are not very many brushed ESCs with a LiPo cutoff out there, because brushed popularity was dying off already when LiPo became popular.

Speaking as a racer, I am still a big fan of sealed can brushed motors for "slow" racing, and I use them with LiPo and no cutoff every week.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gsxr0311
3racing makes a set for the f104.

also, to the question about the shark fin... i just cut one out into the shape of a fin when i cut the original air inlet. there is enough material to do so.
That's a great looking mclaren
Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

does anyone have a source for non Tamiya foams that will fit the Tamiya wheels? i know it was discussed somewhere on this thread but i cant find it. i dont mind if i have to cut/true them . Thanx in advance!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by digitrc
Just because the standard ESC doesn't have a LiPo cutoff doesn't mean you can't use LiPo.

It just means you need to be aware of when the car is losing power and stop running immediately. If you are bashing, or are not an experienced driver, you might not notice in time.

If so, you can fit an external alarm/cut-off.

Or you can follow the advice above that the LiFe cutoff doesn't damage the LiPos, despite the lower voltage. At your own risk, obviously.

There are not very many brushed ESCs with a LiPo cutoff out there, because brushed popularity was dying off already when LiPo became popular.

Speaking as a racer, I am still a big fan of sealed can brushed motors for "slow" racing, and I use them with LiPo and no cutoff every week.
^^What he said, but in conjunction...

If your racing here's my jedi mind trick. most races are 5-8 minutes depending on the track, mine is 6 min so I'll go with that number.

When i go out to practice I just set a stop watch for 6 minutes, I know my battery has at least 20+ more minutes because of it's size but I have never had an issue with a cutoff because I don't drive the car anywhere near the cutoff area. I normally pull my car off with 7.7v or higher on it.

If your planning on bashing the same idea applies but just set your stopwatch for like 14-15 minutes, or whatever your comfortable with to stay on the safe side.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm using this Li-po cutoff on my F109 and its working fine:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Cut-Off-Module
Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Btw have any1 tried to mod the F104 to fit a normal Square Lipo pack rather than a rounded stick pack
Old 05-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
does anyone have a source for non Tamiya foams that will fit the Tamiya wheels? i know it was discussed somewhere on this thread but i cant find it. i dont mind if i have to cut/true them . Thanx in advance!
You can buy 1/10 donuts from Windtunnel Rc and Rc4Less. Rc4less also has mounted tires.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuanseng1981
Btw have any1 tried to mod the F104 to fit a normal Square Lipo pack rather than a rounded stick pack
No mods needed -- just put it in there. I have run 5000 & 5200mAh Thunderpowers, and many others have run the same or similar. You just lose the "twist & remove" battery function. You have to remove a few screws/standoffs to get the battery in & out.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
D-Drive sells the full range of Zac Project tyres for the F104, they seem pricey as they come as a pack of two pairs of tyres.
http://d-drivesportsenglish.com/inde...index&cPath=38

All the fast guys at my club run Zac Projects on both F104s and F103s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.