Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pro10noob
Is the F104 just wider at the front due to the F103 suspension? or are the rear rims matching it?(F103 wheels?)

regards Roy
My F104W measured 198mm @ front (outside wall of the foams) and 200mm @ the rear.

Here is a pic of the 2 models side by side:

Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eComet
The Tamiya soft rear tire is still very hard compared to others like Shimizu. I ran the UF1 at Corona two weeks ago and simply by changing the rear tires, my car went from sweeper-spun to super understeer. But again, this car is a lot easier to drive starting from under steer.

So I think my next step is:
1. Shimizu medium front
2. Shimizu soft rear
3. Medium spring front
4. Soft shock (red and Muchmore 400 oil
5. Softest T-bar (high traction T-bar)

I think the above setup should, in theory, makes my car more neutral. Also, I use lay-down servo (need low-profile servo) so that I don't have bump-steer and I can adijust ackerman by moving the servo forward and aftward.
Hello, newbie to F1 and I was wondering if someone could clarify the T-bar setup for me. I see a Soft T-Bar for the F104 (I'm guessing this is the one you want for low traction) and then theres the High Traction T-Bar. I have an F104 Pro Black edition. Would the T-Bar that came with the car be the medium setting?

What is the preferred T-Bar to use for low traction?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcunamay
Hello, newbie to F1 and I was wondering if someone could clarify the T-bar setup for me. I see a Soft T-Bar for the F104 (I'm guessing this is the one you want for low traction) and then theres the High Traction T-Bar. I have an F104 Pro Black edition. Would the T-Bar that came with the car be the medium setting?

Thanks!
The softness is as follows:
1. 4005131 Kit T-bar: Standard
2. 54165 Soft T-bar: Medium
3. 54222 High Traction T-bar: Soft

Low traction surface use 54222 High Traction T-bar. The name "High Traction" refers to the handling, not the surface, which is kind of misleading.

If you run foam on good grip surface, then go soft T-bar. If you have too much grip and rear of the car is too planted, go with kit T-bar. Remember you can also play with the tightness of the center screw as well.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

macavant, the realism is very nice

Which do you prefer, the F103 or F104W?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Pain in the ass cuz there is only so much you can do for the rear end of this thing.
After you have done it all, split upper deck, soft feel on everything, spring, shock oil, damper plate, T bar, o ring etc... then move on to the front end.

Stiff front springs, medium to hard tires, toe out, ride height higher than the rear.
Make it push some how when exiting the corners.
Oh yeh, good luck with that.

ok so i did most of this stuff the spring shock oil split deck t bar ... but whats the trick with the damper plate and o ring can anyone explain this for me thanks
Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

And how is the F104W to the F104??
Is the F104 smaller front and rear??

regards Roy

Originally Posted by macavant
My F104W measured 198mm @ front (outside wall of the foams) and 200mm @ the rear.

Here is a pic of the 2 models side by side:

Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theatriks
ok so i did most of this stuff the spring shock oil split deck t bar ... but whats the trick with the damper plate and o ring can anyone explain this for me thanks
Anybody?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Probably not running any grease or fluid on it to let the pod move freely...With the split deck you can even eliminate the damper plate all together.

Cuda??
Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks!
One thing to remember is that the soft t bar and high traction t bar are close to the same thickness, but with the cutout the high traction t bar also lets the car "wrap" the corner or rotate more. I noticed the guy who won the TCS nats last year ran the soft tbar, and that makes sense as the Tamiya track is a place where you would want the car more stable. You might actually want to try both to see what works for you.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eComet
The softness is as follows:
1. 4005131 Kit T-bar: Standard
2. 54165 Soft T-bar: Medium
3. 54222 High Traction T-bar: Soft

Low traction surface use 54222 High Traction T-bar. The name "High Traction" refers to the handling, not the surface, which is kind of misleading.

If you run foam on good grip surface, then go soft T-bar. If you have too much grip and rear of the car is too planted, go with kit T-bar. Remember you can also play with the tightness of the center screw as well.
I appreciate it! Thanks.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robk
One thing to remember is that the soft t bar and high traction t bar are close to the same thickness, but with the cutout the high traction t bar also lets the car "wrap" the corner or rotate more. I noticed the guy who won the TCS nats last year ran the soft tbar, and that makes sense as the Tamiya track is a place where you would want the car more stable. You might actually want to try both to see what works for you.
Thanks for the advice. I will have all 3 options in my pit box.

I'll be running Rubber tires on asphalt. This is my first venture into F1. Watching the UF1 series run out here in SoCal just looked waaaayyyy toooo fun. Been reading this board to learn as I much as I can to be competitive. From what I gather, rear traction or lack thereof is what most are experiencing.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice. I will have all 3 options in my pit box.

I'll be running Rubber tires on asphalt. This is my first venture into F1. Watching the UF1 series run out here in SoCal just looked waaaayyyy toooo fun. Been reading this board to learn as I much as I can to be competitive. From what I gather, rear traction or lack thereof is what most are experiencing.

Welcome to UF1!

Some are experiencing heaps and heaps of traction It's all in the tires, set up and equipment. Hope to see you at the next round- May 14th at the mighty Tamiya track!

Vid from last week (thx Charles);
Look at all them F1 tires

http://youtu.be/c4-O9-WG224
Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Vid from last week (thx Charles);
that Martini Porsche livery is WAY cool.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I like to run the damper plate as loose as possible but not flopping or rattling around, just enough spring to keep the discs sliding on the plate and no more.
The center screw, which has to be left in for TCS racing, I would always loosen it to where it would still just barely sit in the counterrsunk hole when fully "bending" the T bar up in the rear.

Probably not running any grease or fluid on it to let the pod move freely...With the split deck you can even eliminate the damper plate all together.

Cuda??
I was running the tiniest bit of Associated diff grease on the bottom disc, just enough to make it smooth, I reapplied it each run cuz too thick would seem to make it lose traction when exiting the corner. Typical for this car.

Danny the winner (after our tiebreaker ) of last years TCS Nats did mention that he ran the soft T bar and not the High Traction T bar as well as also running the kit tires that are Medium compound.
I would never have been able to drive with that setup since I have never been able to get as much rear traction as I would like on this car when using Tamiya tires and I always chose the soft rear option tires with the kit medium fronts and still wanted more rear bite. I also have never looked back to anything other than the High Traction T bar since this is also the best rear grip that I have had on this car.
I also use the gold spring that seems to be hard to get but it is the softest spring that I know of that is a Tamiya part, from the Miata mini kit or something like that.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Tech Adept

so the difference betwwen 104 and 104w is a 103 front end and 103 rear wheels? has tamiya released any 104w body sets yet or will the 103 bodys work? thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.