R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #4891
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Cool pic!
Thanks mike... I will get you a pic of it with the trophy from winning the winter series here. thanks for building a great chassie...

Any one els do any testing with AE 10r5 front springs? they do fit i have ran the .16 in practice and they felt better than the blacks on my track and i just put the .18's on and will run them tomarrow before the race. i do notice you have a lot more arm movement with them. and does work good on a bumpy track..
tcb22185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #4892
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

probably not the best place, but i'm gonna ask anyways...

for you guys that have painted the Tamiya F60 wings or any wings for that matter - what kind of paint did you use? I know the plastic don't need the lexan special paint, but can you use any old spray can paint?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #4893
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post

for you guys that have painted the Tamiya F60 wings or any wings for that matter - what kind of paint did you use? I know the plastic don't need the lexan special paint, but can you use any old spray can paint?
i don't suggestion that use old spray. the colour might not that nice.
carbonbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:27 AM   #4894
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbrush View Post
i don't suggestion that use old spray. the colour might not that nice.
I meant your run of the mill spray paint you buy at a hardware store or do the hobby spray paints work better

I didn't mean old as in aged paint
Old 04-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #4895
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb22185 View Post
Thanks mike... I will get you a pic of it with the trophy from winning the winter series here. thanks for building a great chassie...

Any one els do any testing with AE 10r5 front springs? they do fit i have ran the .16 in practice and they felt better than the blacks on my track and i just put the .18's on and will run them tomarrow before the race. i do notice you have a lot more arm movement with them. and does work good on a bumpy track..
I ran them on my hpi, but I tried them on my 103 and actually preferred the way the car carried itself with the Tamiya ones
Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #4896
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What are the main differences between the different variations of the F104? I see there is the F104, F104W, F104 Pro, and F104 Black.

I am looking at getting one of these cars. I really like the scale look and want to keep it looking like the latest 1:1 cars. The F104w does not look like it will fit this. So this leaves the other three. I am sure I will be adding and upgrading parts. I have seen posted that the F104 F60 handles better than the normal F104. Is this true? What are the differences?

I am not sure if I will race this car. I do not have a on road track near me. I will be setting up tracks in parking lots and so forth with friends. Although traveling for an occasional race is not out of the question. I have also been looking at the Exotech chassis and am considering upgrading to this when I get the car. Would it be worth it to get the Pro or Black version if I am going to be getting the Exotech chassis?

Thanks for the help.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #4897
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post

Actually, lexan paint works very well since it has a flex agent. I have tried other paints that tend to "explode" in crashes. Lexan paint sticks well.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #4898
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
What are the main differences between the different variations of the F104? I see there is the F104, F104W, F104 Pro, and F104 Black.

I am looking at getting one of these cars. I really like the scale look and want to keep it looking like the latest 1:1 cars. The F104w does not look like it will fit this. So this leaves the other three. I am sure I will be adding and upgrading parts. I have seen posted that the F104 F60 handles better than the normal F104. Is this true? What are the differences?

I am not sure if I will race this car. I do not have a on road track near me. I will be setting up tracks in parking lots and so forth with friends. Although traveling for an occasional race is not out of the question. I have also been looking at the Exotech chassis and am considering upgrading to this when I get the car. Would it be worth it to get the Pro or Black version if I am going to be getting the Exotech chassis?

Thanks for the help.
I don't know what the "F104" is but heres a quick rundown from what I understand.

F104 F60 - FRP chassis, plastic diff casing, Steel drive shaft, dodgy tamiya hook links for steering. Top plate has holes to fit a lot of lipos, but obviosuly you have to get the lipo in the car first. People says it's better becase of the flex, but i don't know.

F104W - This is basically an F60, except it has the F103 front end. Not sure how it goes racing wise, but it's got a wider track than the standard F104. The wide track makes the car easier to drive if you don't know what you're doing tuning wise. A well setup f104 is still faster than a well setup f103, but a badly setup f104 is no where near as good as a badly setup f103.

F104Pro- This is now dicontinued product. Has carbon fibre chassis, blue alloy diff housing, turnbuckles for steering, carbon drive shaft and thats about it. One dissapointing thing about this kit is it doesn't come with an alloy motor mount. handling wise this car is awesome for me. One trap for young players in setting up is that theres several screws on te car with oring underneath them, these should NOT be tightened down, the oring is there for a reason. Aslo try a nimh battery, mine works wonders compared to a lipo.

F104 Black - This the latest product and it replaces the Pro. It comes with alot stuff like alloy motor mount, and servo holder. This is pretty much the kit you want. Personally i don't like the black colour, the tamiya blue looks waay more bling, but that's just me.

Regarding the Exotek chassis, Doesn't matter what chassis you buy really. If you buy the 104 black and then put the exotek chassis on it that's probably a good way to go. Alternative, buy the exotek chassis by itself, buy a body/wing set, buy alloy motor mount, buy alloy wing mount buy alloy servo holder, alloy camber mount, and buy a front suspension arm set all by themselves. Thats what you need from the kit to make the exotek chassis.. ohh and the shock dampner.

Not sure how the exotek chassis handles yet as i haven't had a chance to test it out on the trakc yet, but i was very dissapointed with the quality of the kit. some of the counter sunk hoels are drilleed too deep, the cutting of the chassis was very rough, and the front hole didn't align very well and required some grinding work to fit a front wing on. Maybe i just got a lemon kit, but yeah it certainly wasnt tamiya standard of kit.

Hope that helps.
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #4899
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Actually, lexan paint works very well since it has a flex agent. I have tried other paints that tend to "explode" in crashes. Lexan paint sticks well.
I was afraid someone was gonna say that.... Guess I'll have to wait until Monday for the paint
Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #4900
Tech Rookie

Sorry, but I'm new here. Where is the best place to get just the rear wings for the dif body kits? Or is this possible? What about just the decals?
JoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #4901
Tech Master

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
I don't know what the "F104" is but heres a quick rundown from what I understand.
The McLaren MP4-24 F104 seems to be different from the Ferrari F60 F104. The descriptions are similar with minor differences. Things like the drive shaft is different and aluminum vs plastic differential housing.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #4902
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo View Post
Sorry, but I'm new here. Where is the best place to get just the rear wings for the dif body kits? Or is this possible? What about just the decals?
Which wings and decals are you looking for?
I can get just about anything you might need
PM me if I can help you
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #4903
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
Thanks for the info.

The McLaren MP4-24 F104 seems to be different from the Ferrari F60 F104. The descriptions are similar with minor differences. Things like the drive shaft is different and aluminum vs plastic differential housing.
The McLaren and Ferrari are identical except for the bodies and decals.
The 104W is also the same except that it uses the 103 front arms, the rear width is achieved by different wheel offset.
The pro and pro black are the same as each other, but the black also come with the aluminum rear pod sides and pivot mount
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #4904
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
The McLaren and Ferrari are identical except for the bodies and decals.
The 104W is also the same except that it uses the 103 front arms, the rear width is achieved by different wheel offset.
The pro and pro black are the same as each other, but the black also come with the aluminum rear pod sides and pivot mount
Here are the descriptions from Tower hobbies. Tamiya USA does not give these specific details. I put in bold the differences. I also know that Tower could be wrong on the descriptions.

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-24 F-104
FEATURES: Chassis: F-104 PRO specification 0.12" (3.2mm) thick FRP,
0.079" (2mm) thick FRP upper deck
Drive: Two wheel direct
Motor: 540 type
Differential: Ball type with aluminum housing
Ball Bearings: Full set
Body: Clear, untrimmed with separate front and rear wing, side
pontoons and molded white driver helmet
Steering: Isometric steering rods links with longitudinally mounted
steering servo position
Suspension: Front, kingpin coil with spacers for ground clearance
adjustment, Rear, T-bar with carbon friction plate and friction
shock
Tires: Rubber slicks, front 1.2" (30mm) wide, 2.4" (62mm) diameter
rear 1.3" (33mm) wide, 2.4" (62mm) diameter
Wheels: Black, front 1.8" (45mm) diameter, 1.2" (30mm) wide
rear 1.8" (45mm) diameter, 1.4" (35mm) wide
Caster: Adjustable, caster/toe-in refers to the angle of the front
suspension when viewed from the side of the car in relation to the
chassis
Camber: Adjustable by changing upper suspension mount installation

Ferrari F60 F-104
FEATURES: Chassis: F104 0.12" (3.2mm) thick FRP lower deck, 0.08" (2mm) lower
deck
Drive: Two wheel direct with stainless steel rear shaft
Motor: 540 type
Electronic Speed Control: Tamiya TEU-104BK, TAMM4541
Differential: Ball type with resin housing
Ball Bearings: Full set
Body: Clear, untrimmed with 3-dimensional front and rear wings, rear
diffuser, side mirrors and aerofoil suspension arms, can be
assembled with or without polycarbonate sloped side pontoons
Steering: Isometric steering rods links with longitudinally mounted
steering servo position
Suspension: Front, kingpin coil with spacers for ground clearance
adjustment, Rear, T-bar with carbon friction plate and friction
shock
Tires: Racing slicks 1.1" (28mm) wide, 2.4" (62mm) diameter
Wheels: Silver, nylon 1.1" (28.9mm), 1.7" (43mm) diameter
Caster: Adjustable, caster/toe-in refers to the angle of the front
suspension when viewed from the side of the car in relation to the
chassis
Camber: Non-adjustable

You also have a PM

Old 04-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #4905
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hello

just wondering what spped controllers you guys are using in the f104 ?
i wont be putting in wild motors no more than a sports tuned really but i want a good quality controller

thanks
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote