Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #4756
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
Yes the car was already shot by the time this was identified
If you notice the McLaren is correct.
But here you missed on the front wheel covers. That lip must face backwards and not upwards . Yeah well, people do call me a smartass (but I'm allways right )

Last edited by Barry White; 03-16-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #4757
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry White View Post
But here you missed on the front wheel covers. That lip must face backwards and not upwards . Yeah well, people do call me a smartass (but I'm allwas right )
You make me a better man.
So I don't recall seeing your cars on here, but I imagine that from all the stuff you find wrong with mine that they are flawless
I've been known to be a smartass myself, so I have only one word for yo sir, and that would be WINNING!!!!!!!
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #4758
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry White View Post
But here you missed on the front wheel covers. That lip must face backwards and not upwards . Yeah well, people do call me a smartass (but I'm allways right )
It's okay BP. That LH car is so realistic that I bet a set of tires will probably be worn out after just three laps........... Just like the real one
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #4759
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfour93 View Post
Will it affect cooling to the motor? Great idea though.
This must have any impact on the motor cooling. The Question is how much...
Oortael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:36 AM   #4760
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

If anyone is interested in great F104Pro package...Wanted to keep it to race foam parking lot, but no foam class anywhere local...Initial deal fell through so back on market.

F/S: Tamiya F104Pro, Futaba S9551, LRP QC3, NIP LW Ferrari Body, Orion LiPO
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #4761
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default rear traction problem

Hi guys, I just got my car last week in a trade so I'm kinda starting from scratch for setup. I run on indoor carpet, good traction, rubber tires sticky as a gumball but spins out with little effort. I didnt have any tuning parts with me at the track but I picked up some stuff yesterday hoping it will help.
The car had a 1.6mm carbon fiber Tplate that's as stiff as a skate bourd when I tested the other night and medium front springs. I managed to slow down traction rolling by adding camber with the front block. Parts I was able to get yesterday: super soft Tplate, high traction Tplate, front spring set, spare front arms.
My first notion is to try the high traction Tplate and see if that resolves the spin outs, my first thought was that the rubber tires were the issue and I cant get my hands on any foams right now. Also changed the front springs to the black hard springs. Thanks for your input!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya F104 Pro!-imag0002.jpg   Tamiya F104 Pro!-imag0001-1-.jpg  
JoeD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #4762
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD. View Post
Hi guys, I just got my car last week in a trade so I'm kinda starting from scratch for setup. I run on indoor carpet, good traction, rubber tires sticky as a gumball but spins out with little effort. I didnt have any tuning parts with me at the track but I picked up some stuff yesterday hoping it will help.
The car had a 1.6mm carbon fiber Tplate that's as stiff as a skate bourd when I tested the other night and medium front springs. I managed to slow down traction rolling by adding camber with the front block. Parts I was able to get yesterday: super soft Tplate, high traction Tplate, front spring set, spare front arms.
My first notion is to try the high traction Tplate and see if that resolves the spin outs, my first thought was that the rubber tires were the issue and I cant get my hands on any foams right now. Also changed the front springs to the black hard springs. Thanks for your input!!
DISCLAIMER: I am VERY new to all of this so please wait for someone else verifies this, but...

I think that you want to try the low traction plate first. I believe the way this works is; the "softer" you make the rear end, the more grip you give it. The more grip you rear end has the less it will want to spin out.

other adjustments you can make that might have a similar effect:

Lighter weight shock oil and/or springs in the pod dampener
Lighter weight lubricant at the damping pads
Softer tires

Or you could try taking some traction away from the front end:

Harder spring
Harder compound tires (or tire hardening tricks like applying CA to the sidewall)

Again, I might have no idea what I'm talking about. My F104 isn't here yet. If someone more knowledgeable could chime in that would be awesome! (I would love to know if I have learned by reading all of these posts over the last couple of days).
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #4763
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD. View Post
The tamiya rubber tires generally are too sticky, and pick up carpet fibers, making the car spin out. Does the car start off bad, or does it spin out after a few laps? Do the tires have carpet fibers stuck to them?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #4764
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ive recently started running rubbers (tamiya soft f104) on carpet. One thing i found, the last time i tried the smae set of tyres (they were new) they were terrible. I then used the tyres on the ashphalt track and they are now too worn out for use on the ashphalt, but now work awesome on the carpet.

So maybe the trick is to drive them around in a carpark till they groove up really well?
LordAnubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #4765
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default spin out

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
The tamiya rubber tires generally are too sticky, and pick up carpet fibers, making the car spin out. Does the car start off bad, or does it spin out after a few laps? Do the tires have carpet fibers stuck to them?
Well it does start off bad and never gets better, I can make about 3 laps at half throttle and it comes around real easy, the tires are real sticky so it was baffling me. I've made a few adjustments according to what works with 12 scale as well as putting CA on the front tire sidewalls. Need to test again in the next few days and will post up my findings, thanks so far.
JoeD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #4766
Tech Addict

Does anyone tied to run the F60 front wing (or for that mather McLaren) without the endplates? By the looks of it they only block the air going over the main wing thus generating less downforce.
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #4767
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
[B][U]I think that you want to try the low traction plate first.
I think you mean the "High Traction T-plate", and most certainly Yes...

Quote:
Lighter weight shock oil and/or springs in the pod dampener
Yes, & Yes...

Quote:
Lighter weight lubricant at the damping pads
Yes, I use 15wt shock oil...

Quote:
Softer tires
most certainly Yes...

Quote:
Harder frt spring
Yes, but the effect is small...

Quote:
Harder frt compound tires
Most certainly Yes...
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #4768
Tech Elite

You will make it drivable, but it will not be fast. If you want to run on carpet I would get a set of the Pit Shimizu tires. High traction T-plate helps, but as Rob said the tires just dont work on carpet. I have a set of the Tamiya soft rear that I ran outdoors last summer with no inserts, and they are a bit better than new ones, but like I said, drivable but not fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Bad View Post

Yes, & Yes...

Yes, I use 15wt shock oil...

most certainly Yes...

Yes, but the effect is small...

Most certainly Yes...
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #4769
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Bad View Post
Actually, we're on opposite ends here. The "Low Traction T-Plate" (Tamiya Item #54165 "RC F104 Soft T-Bar") as described by Tamiya "is softer than those found on standard kits, providing your machine with improved rear grip when cornering on low friction tracks"

The "RC F104 High Traction T-Bar" (Tamiya Item #54222) has no description but based on the name I assumed it's stiffer to take away grip from the rear end if your cornering on a high friction track?

Im also assuming that the one that comes in the kit falls somewhere in the middle? Am I correct or mistaken on what the parts are and how they are used?

Sponsored By - http://enginesbyotto.com/ & my wallet (mostly my wallet actually...)

ALL IS LOST
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #4770
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
Ive recently started running rubbers (tamiya soft f104) on carpet. One thing i found, the last time i tried the smae set of tyres (they were new) they were terrible. I then used the tyres on the ashphalt track and they are now too worn out for use on the ashphalt, but now work awesome on the carpet.

So maybe the trick is to drive them around in a carpark till they groove up really well?
My only experience with tamiya rubbers on carpet is in an air-conditioned shopping mall. New rubbers works, the fastest guy that day was a Japanese. He clean the tires with liquid soap and made sure it is super clean and applied traction compound, not sure if he warm the tires.

Just before his run, clean again making sure it was dry. His car was on rails.
I followed his way of prepping the tires but I warmed it for 5 mins before and it works but my bad driving and traffic did not get me in front.