Tamiya F104 Pro! >

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Like Tree12Likes

Tamiya F104 Pro!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by double_green
Abu - Lightfoot posted a great F104 rubber tire chart on page 231 [chart link here]. You may also be in need of some chassis and radio adjustments. Great information posted by F N Cuda and APEX can be viewed on page 239.
Thanks for the tips. It's seems like I have already have most of the suggested setup on the 104. The car is perfect on Tamiya tires, no problem. The car go wherever I want it to go.

Probably Shimizu won't work under extreme low traction asphalt no matter what you do to the car. I will run it on my EXO104 chassis and see if it's really tire issue here.

All the guys I know running the Shimizu at the track I'm at have trash the tires long before I bought it. Tamiya still most preferred.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Abu Salahuddin
Thanks for the tips. It's seems like I have already have most of the suggested setup on the 104. The car is perfect on Tamiya tires, no problem. The car go wherever I want it to go.

Probably Shimizu won't work under extreme low traction asphalt no matter what you do to the car. I will run it on my EXO104 chassis and see if it's really tire issue here.

All the guys I know running the Shimizu at the track I'm at have trash the tires long before I bought it. Tamiya still most preferred.
Why are you running the medium and not soft?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Abu Salahuddin
Anyone can advise how I can make the Shimizu rubber to work. Both F&R sets are medium running on low traction asphalt. Track temp 40-45 deg c. The car just spins out at corner entrance. With status quo on setup it runs perfect on stock medium Tamiya rubber tires. Shock & damper on soft setup. Ride height 4.5mm.
cuda's suggestions seems to work the best for me. i would also try soft rears before you give up on them. if you do decide to give up on them you can throw them away into my mail box. ill give you the address if you toss them out.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tunerjetta29
Why are you running the medium and not soft?
Have not tried that yet. Will it handle 25mins race on a 50 deg c track temp?

Eg. I never like Tamiya option soft with medium front. Good rear grip but overheat after 2 mins. Tires too soft for the temperature. Will hold for a 5 min Tamiya race format but not 25mins races. Once temp drop to 34 deg c then soft is the choice. Soft also makes the car more responsive. I'm better on dead cars. So Tamiya stock tires works for me. Therefore I apply the same concept here with the Shimizu.

I will try the soft see if it works and see if it gives me consistent grip for 25 mins.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've run the Shimzu's soft rear with the exotek chassis, the only difference is that I use the Tamiya rear rubber foam insert with the tires. It feels them out a bit better then what comes with the Shimzu's, so I believe gives better wear and traction.

Our track is low grip asphalt and we run early afternoon thru to the evening. I ran a set for 6-8min races and was really impressed with the wear rate..held up quite well. Air Temps in the mids 30's Deg Cel for the day.

Maybe for your temp range the Meduims might do the trick, perhaps try a set with the rubber tire foam insert.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

none of you use RIDE Super softs?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by aussierevo
I've run the Shimzu's soft rear with the exotek chassis, the only difference is that I use the Tamiya rear rubber foam insert with the tires. It feels them out a bit better then what comes with the Shimzu's, so I believe gives better wear and traction.

Our track is low grip asphalt and we run early afternoon thru to the evening. I ran a set for 6-8min races and was really impressed with the wear rate..held up quite well. Air Temps in the mids 30's Deg Cel for the day.

Maybe for your temp range the Meduims might do the trick, perhaps try a set with the rubber tire foam insert.
Thanks for the tips. I'll play around with the inserts, toe out first since the damping and t bars are on the softest side already. If still doesn't work probably it is due to other variables beyond our control.

Weather here is hot and humid. Rains everyday then gets hot again. So track temp can go as high as 60 deg c then 30 in a couple of hours. My observation, Tamiya medium works well from 10 am - 5 pm. Between 5-7pm start to loose grip then from 7 pm soft tires runs better but I will normally reduce steering EPA coz car becomes more responsive.

Shimizu has a totally different characteristics.

On of my mates running ride soft rear. Performed well in hot weather. He took pole and won in a recent 20 mins race. It's a technical course so like real f1 overtaking is hard. I'm on Tamiya medium we were neck to neck so in the end will have to settle for 2nd. The Tamiya mediums were very grippy after 30 laps and I clocked fastest lap. But overall I think if it is a shorter race. The ride soft is faster and better heat resistant as compared to Tamiya soft. Guys running the soft Tamiya were 5-6 laps down. But the Tamiya medium will be more consistent for long races and gets better when it gets hotter.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (94%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
none of you use RIDE Super softs?
Yes i have tried ride s1 compound and they do not work on asphalte. i got some for sale is any one needs a set..
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 AM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tcb22185
Yes i have tried ride s1 compound and they do not work on asphalte. i got some for sale is any one needs a set..
That's weird, because they're my favourite for our outdoor evening winter meets. That's asphalt low-medium grip and generally high humidity since we're near a river. I suspect that most of the rubber tyres are sensitive to surface type/condition, since I've never had any joy with the Tamiya ones.

Daytime foam action is blast
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by PDR
That's weird, because they're my favourite for our outdoor evening winter meets. That's asphalt low-medium grip and generally high humidity since we're near a river. I suspect that most of the rubber tyres are sensitive to surface type/condition, since I've never had any joy with the Tamiya ones.

Daytime foam action is blast
Yes I agree. Some recommended tires don't work no matter how you set your car. Works well for some but not for others.

Surface, weather, temperature play a big part too.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

I just tried them out in front of the road. ill try them at the track sat but the road in front of my house has more grip than the track....

Now what servo saver is every one using?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Smile

Hellow F1 Racers.

We added the USPS shipping option to online shop.

The shipping will be faster for out of CA order.

Also, international shipping will be cheaper via USPS.

For more information visit www.tqrcracing.com

You will get Free shipping U.S orders of $100 or more !!

New items from 3racing are arrived.

Click Here to check out the new arrivals.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tcb22185
Now what servo saver is every one using?
The Kimbrough Savers seem to be popular
Old 02-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

OK thats what i thought. Just broke one and had to go back to the stock tamiya one....
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Some pictures of us running the f104 in the wets. Just in case you were wondering what tires we were running, stock Tamiyas'.

Understeer especially at corner exits. Very soft front tires might solve that.

http://m895.photobucket.com/albums/k...%20RC/?src=www

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.