R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #4336
Tech Champion
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
For carpet right?
I know that the Pit Shimizu tires are the tire of choice at TQ Raceway for the F104 but I honestly forgot which ones are the correct ones.
There are 2 soft rear compounds and I don't know which is best and I can't remember what I even have for my F104 when it comes to the fronts, whether they are hard or medium.

Hopefully someone that also runs there will chime in with part numbers for the hot combo.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
The best 104 rubber on carpet combination for me is:

Pit Shimizu PS-0575 REAR ( soft compound )
Pit Shimizu PS-0577 FRONT ( 3 compound )
TAMIYA 51378 F104 SPARE WHEEL SET

use the Tamiya foam insert for the rear instead of the stock insert if you have too much rear traction...
use the stock insert if you need more rear traction...

TQ is the only place in the Americas who carries these tires...

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...&s_maker_id=49
and Thank You!
__________________
T-Sal
gashuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #4337
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Do you guys know if there is a rear axle carrier with 3mm (or more) off set anywhere?

Kit came with 0,1,2 but that's not enough...

I think the F104 uses the same sized bearing adapters as the F103. If so these should work:

http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=3391
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #4338
Tech Elite
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 4,980
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed View Post
When there is not much foam left on the tire, traction/grip starts going away.

The last F103 kit I built was the Advan Courage F103-GT chassis, it comes with touring car size rims and tires. With the stock axel bearing holder provided in the kit, the ride height was not that bad.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51243
Foam tires are like 27turn brushed motors- when the com or the foam gets smaller, the lap times start dropping but then you get to a point of no return and then kablamo! The small dia foams I am able to run on my FX10 F1 are incredible. Put the same foams on my F103/4 and no dice. The reason? I can raise the ride height much further on the FX10 then I can on the Tamiya. The Tamiya will drag on the carpet at high speed causing it to wash out or hook.
Thanks for the link.
Looks like the Advan had the F103 type pod which I'm using too but still wish it were lower like the HPI F1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
3Racing makes this set but I don't know the exact offset.

There is this too 2.5mm offset:
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
I should be able to tell you the sizes of the 3 Racing ones in a couple days, mine should be delivered like thursday
Yes, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I think the F104 uses the same sized bearing adapters as the F103. If so these should work:

http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=3391
Thanks- same link as Robk.
__________________
www.exotekracing.com ☆ASSOCIATED☆DURANGO☆HPI☆HB RACING☆KYOSHO☆LOSI/TLR☆SERPENT☆TAMIYA☆XRAY☆

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #4339
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Yorba Linda Ca
Posts: 1,338
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

hello im interested in getting one of these. would any of you guys be whilling to trade one of your F1 roller for my B4 roller?

My b4 has 3 sets of rear tires and 2 bodys.

if anyone is interested pm me please
Mindcrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #4340
Tech Fanatic
 
aussierevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane Qld
Posts: 872
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

I raced tonight and has some mixed results, but the problem I had in the last race I would like some thoughts on.

I run the extoek chassis, 20wt oil in the side damper with silver springs. Rear damper has the kit tamiya F104 spring. Track was very dusty tonight (and I mean dusty), so grip was difficult. Ran 2 races with tamiya rubbers and they went ok in the conditions. In the last race, decided to strap on the soft shimzu's with no treatment whatsoever. The car was transformed from sliding into the corners with the tamiya's (which I like) to 'studdering' through the corners. What I mean was that they had heaps of grip, but the car was difficult to get it into the corners without having to back off a little. All in all, the car was terrible.

So after all that, what type of changes would be suggested in such a situation. Do I use a firm spring in the rear, or do I go even softer with the damper spring to enable the rear to stay planted and transfer the power to the wheels evenly. I'm somewhat confused. Appreciate any thoughts.
__________________
Speed Passion F1.
Hobbywing ESC and Motor, SMC Batteries
Meakin Park Club Member
Team ARGO RC - Like us on Facebook
aussierevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #4341
Tech Elite
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 4,980
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussierevo View Post
I raced tonight and has some mixed results, but the problem I had in the last race I would like some thoughts on.

I run the extoek chassis, 20wt oil in the side damper with silver springs. Rear damper has the kit tamiya F104 spring. Track was very dusty tonight (and I mean dusty), so grip was difficult. Ran 2 races with tamiya rubbers and they went ok in the conditions. In the last race, decided to strap on the soft shimzu's with no treatment whatsoever. The car was transformed from sliding into the corners with the tamiya's (which I like) to 'studdering' through the corners. What I mean was that they had heaps of grip, but the car was difficult to get it into the corners without having to back off a little. All in all, the car was terrible.

So after all that, what type of changes would be suggested in such a situation. Do I use a firm spring in the rear, or do I go even softer with the damper spring to enable the rear to stay planted and transfer the power to the wheels evenly. I'm somewhat confused. Appreciate any thoughts.
The pit tires do that alot it seems- seems like a really bouncy tire if not built up perfectly. Maybe too much air gap, lopsided insert, unbalanced tire when glued? I do notice that after the tire breaks in after awhile that it will bounce less. Some guys are using Tamiya inserts so maybe that helps but I dunno... F1 rubber tires are so finicky.
__________________
www.exotekracing.com ☆ASSOCIATED☆DURANGO☆HPI☆HB RACING☆KYOSHO☆LOSI/TLR☆SERPENT☆TAMIYA☆XRAY☆

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #4342
Tech Master
 
hanzo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 1,293
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

what is the purpose of pontions on a f60 body? Can I just run it without cutting the side pontoons out? Is it for scale appearance?
__________________
Chris TRF419 TA05V2
TQ RC Racing Powered by teeth
hanzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #4343
Tech Champion
 
gashuffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RcVille
Posts: 5,230
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
what is the purpose of pontions on a f60 body? Can I just run it without cutting the side pontoons out? Is it for scale appearance?
Yes it's for scale appearance.
__________________
T-Sal
gashuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #4344
Tech Fanatic
 
aussierevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane Qld
Posts: 872
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
The pit tires do that alot it seems- seems like a really bouncy tire if not built up perfectly. Maybe too much air gap, lopsided insert, unbalanced tire when glued? I do notice that after the tire breaks in after awhile that it will bounce less. Some guys are using Tamiya inserts so maybe that helps but I dunno... F1 rubber tires are so finicky.
thanks for that.....I'm running the tamiya inserts, but will look at them today to see how they are mounted if they are unbalanced. I can't believe that I'm worried about too much grip at the rear....but anyway
__________________
Speed Passion F1.
Hobbywing ESC and Motor, SMC Batteries
Meakin Park Club Member
Team ARGO RC - Like us on Facebook
aussierevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #4345
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,472
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

If your car is chattering, you might try heavier oil in the side damper.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #4346
Tech Addict
 
Skitee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
what is the purpose of pontions on a f60 body? Can I just run it without cutting the side pontoons out? Is it for scale appearance?
When you use the pontoons it also creates a slight bit more space inside, so if the electronics and receiver you're running is on the bigger side.
__________________
Xray T4 2017 ~ ORCA Vritra VX3 ~ Motiv RC 4.5
Xray T4 2017 ~ ORCA Vritra VX3 ~ R1 Wurks 13.5
Xray X12 2016 ~ ORCA Vritra VX3 ~ Orca TX 4.5

POWERED BY SPEEDZONE USA
Skitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #4347
Tech Fanatic
 
aussierevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane Qld
Posts: 872
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
If your car is chattering, you might try heavier oil in the side damper.
thanks robk.....i'm currently running the 20wt, so will check that out.
__________________
Speed Passion F1.
Hobbywing ESC and Motor, SMC Batteries
Meakin Park Club Member
Team ARGO RC - Like us on Facebook
aussierevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #4348
Tech Champion
 
abailey21's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,175
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Foam tires are like 27turn brushed motors- when the com or the foam gets smaller, the lap times start dropping but then you get to a point of no return and then kablamo! The small dia foams I am able to run on my FX10 F1 are incredible. Put the same foams on my F103/4 and no dice. The reason? I can raise the ride height much further on the FX10 then I can on the Tamiya. The Tamiya will drag on the carpet at high speed causing it to wash out or hook.
Thanks for the link.
Looks like the Advan had the F103 type pod which I'm using too but still wish it were lower like the HPI F1.



Thanks for the link.



Yes, please.



Thanks- same link as Robk.
I'll post the sizes of the 3 racing buttons tomorrow, got the notice in the mail today
__________________
K.C.C.O.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #4349
Tech Champion
 
abailey21's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,175
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Sizes on the 3 Racing bearing spacers are: 0, .5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0
__________________
K.C.C.O.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #4350
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bonn, Germany
Posts: 2
Default Try 2s1p A123 LiFePo

Hi,
I had "slimmed down" my f104pro.

First I was driving the F104 with a 4000 Lipo (370 gr weight). Now I drive a 2s1p A123 2300mAh LiFePo with only 140 grams

The F104 is now running much better with curves. The weight advantage is fantastic.

I invite the FePO's with 10A / 4C. The cells are then fully in 7 minutes! The cells are intrinsically safe. So I invite them in the car.

Since driving stress is on ....

Have fun
Olaf

Last edited by olafboot; 01-27-2011 at 01:07 PM.
olafboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 05:57 AM
Tamiya F104, HPI F10 and POPULARITY bxpitbull Electric On-Road 28 07-22-2011 07:13 AM
HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro daygoVR6 Electric On-Road 38 12-03-2010 02:19 PM
FS: Tamiya F103RM and F104 Pro! SerpentCT4S R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 42 09-12-2009 05:59 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:20 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net