R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #3976
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
you have to use ride wheels with ride tires, i made the same mistake!
**Shakes fist**
Old 12-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #3977
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
.....on the mantisworx front i can set my static castor to where i get enough turn in and then shim the front so maybe i can get more high speed steering. in theory it should work but i dont know if i can get enough shim under the front to make it effective.
I think you will discover that dynamically increasing caster throughout compression in a pancar will not provide the results you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
....so in layman terms, shim the rear for technical tracks and shim the front for high speed flowing track?
Shim the rear ballstud (on the F104) for more steering in both high and low speed corners. How much dynamically-decreasing-caster you choose to use is what dictates the behavior your pancar displays between high and low speed corners. However, since we're only dealing with a little tiny bit of shimming with these F104s, it's not worth nit picking, just shim the rear ballstud and move on. In comparison, most AE-style pancar front suspension have 5' and 10' choice of angle (which would be about an inch of shims under the rear ballstud on an F104!) If you have a local oval track nearby, talk with those racers about why they run dynamic caster on one side of the car but not the other.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #3978
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

thats interesting thanx but i do have a question (flame suit on!) how is shimming the rear going to give you both high and low speed steering over not shimming? once again, not trying to start an argument. as a matter of fact just PM me please!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #3979
Tech Champion

At the highest speed parts of the corner, entry and exit, the suspension is compressed the least so it retains much if not all of it's static caster giving it more high speed steering. When you hit the slow part of the corner, apex, the suspension compresses decreasing the caster on that side of the car which increases the steering at low speeds. Shimming the rear ball increases the change in caster giving you more mid corner steering. This allows you to run more caster to start with than you would have otherwise...thus increases both high and low speed steering.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #3980
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

^^^give that man a ceeeeggaaarrr-
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #3981
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
i agree with both of you????? i was just clarifying it for those who dont understand(arahawk). i did try it and it does work! there is no argument here at all GEEESH!
Haaa.. hey guys.. dun blame him .. blame me!!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #3982
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
At the highest speed parts of the corner, entry and exit, the suspension is compressed the least so it retains much if not all of it's static caster giving it more high speed steering. When you hit the slow part of the corner, apex, the suspension compresses decreasing the caster on that side of the car which increases the steering at low speeds. Shimming the rear ball increases the change in caster giving you more mid corner steering. This allows you to run more caster to start with than you would have otherwise...thus increases both high and low speed steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
I think you will discover that dynamically increasing caster throughout compression in a pancar will not provide the results you are looking for.

Shim the rear ballstud (on the F104) for more steering in both high and low speed corners. How much dynamically-decreasing-caster you choose to use is what dictates the behavior your pancar displays between high and low speed corners. However, since we're only dealing with a little tiny bit of shimming with these F104s, it's not worth nit picking, just shim the rear ballstud and move on. In comparison, most AE-style pancar front suspension have 5' and 10' choice of angle (which would be about an inch of shims under the rear ballstud on an F104!) If you have a local oval track nearby, talk with those racers about why they run dynamic caster on one side of the car but not the other.
Never thought of that, now i get the full picture! Thanks
Old 12-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #3983
Tech Champion

Greg is right on point there...pan cars have 0, 5, and 10 degree arm mounts to change the reactiveness of the caster while shimming the rear pivot on the F104 will only produces 1 or 2 degrees of upper arm angle. So the affect will not be nearly as pronounced as it typically is on a pan car.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #3984
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

It makes a difference, but then again I run on a rug where any change is apparent.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #3985
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hi all,

I got a f104 from a friend, and put my brushless setup in it. runs 5700kv, and 2s lipo. its was a quick setup for the touring car i had it in, but its living happily in the f1 now.

took the car out for its first run, but cant get the power down. i know the setup is too powerful, but any tips on what i can do to get all the power down and not wheelspin. couldnt even get it to 3/4 throttle without it spinning.

Running the tamiya rubber tyres, planning to go foams. got the frp t-bar and standard f104 pro shock.

On a side note...dont mount a camera phone on the rear wing. although the footage may be ace, the rollovers arent so entertaining.

and as ive discovered:
-F104 pro can take a beating
-Sony Ericsson C902 is bloody strong and survived about a dozen rollovers.
total3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 AM   #3986
Tech Regular

hey guys
got a couple of noob questions

does anyone have any info/review god or bad about these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2826wt_1139

i read on here that inverting steering servo helps reduce bumpsteer,is this true? if so can anyone recommend a steering servo that has the wires coming out of the back rather than the top?

the yeah racing t bars,are these any good? does the different thickness's have different flex?

noob says thanks in advance

Eagle Racing GRT FRD. Tamiya F103GT. Tamiya Blackfoot............ORIGINAL
kneedeeppow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #3987
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by total3d View Post
hi all,
On a side note...dont mount a camera phone on the rear wing. although the footage may be ace, the rollovers arent so entertaining.

and as ive discovered:
-F104 pro can take a beating
-Sony Ericsson C902 is bloody strong and survived about a dozen rollovers.
And where is the video?! You "have to" give evidence ;-)
Oortael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #3988
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeeppow View Post
hey guys

I have one of these on my F109...it is a pretty nice setup in that the front lower suspension arms stay bolted on when you change camber. The only down sides are I need to take the front wing off to change camber and I had to dremel part of the lower nose cone part of the wing to get the piece to fit.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 AM   #3989
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeeppow View Post
hey guys

i read on here that inverting steering servo helps reduce bumpsteer,is this true? if so can anyone recommend a steering servo that has the wires coming out of the back rather than the top?

the yeah racing t bars,are these any good? does the different thickness's have different flex?

noob says thanks in advance

I have one on my 104 right now and had some issue at first but it's ok now.

First issue was the aluminum screws bound in the aluminum threads and snapped both screws off. after drilling the screws, AND the threads out, buying new screws and lock nuts I'm more than happy with it
Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #3990
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
I have one on my 104 right now and had some issue at first but it's ok now.

First issue was the aluminum screws bound in the aluminum threads and snapped both screws off. after drilling the screws, AND the threads out, buying new screws and lock nuts I'm more than happy with it
The plates bend after hard impact, you can bend them back but the fatigue causes them to bend easily. I'd go with the Yeah Racing front camber blocks.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote