R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #3226
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,453
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky View Post
Thanks for the reply. I just installed the high traction t-bar for my last run. I am getting ready to go run it again now so I'll try adjusting the rear shock to see if that helps gain any rear traction. Ill also bring the tools to adjust the diff to see if tightening it/loosening it helps.


I used a magnetic prop balancer. I bought it for balancing some of my RC heli parts, but it also works perfect for RC wheels/tires. I used a few thick pieces of 3M double sided tape to get the balance right. If the tape isn't enough weight, you could also glue small nuts/bolts inside the rim to get it properly balanced... just make sure they are secure Luckily, mine weren't that far off so I was able to balance them with just a few pieces of tape on each rim.
Try to set your diff to not slip, just barely tighter than the point where it will slip while holding both wheels. If you let it slip to help with poor traction, you will find it to be really rough feeling in a very short time, if not fried.
Light oil and softest (gold) spring for the shock, O ring screw just barely to the point of being fully seated on the T bar and the adjuster screw for the damper plate just touching the top spring. Diff grease on these plates helps a ton too.
You will be at full grip in the rear, option soft tires.


kids soft modeling clay is another great way to add weight for balancing, it won't harden and will stick to a clean surface forever.
Add a chunk and remove what is not needed a little at a time.

I gotta get off the computer but I just got done at the Nats. and I'm winding down by BS ing here.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #3227
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Westerville, Ohio
Posts: 245
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Congrats for 2nd place at the Nationals!! I saw the results on the other thread. I bet that was one hell of a race!! Were you running the F104 or F103? Is there any video of the event? That is awesome that you are on the forums here too helping everyone out!! Sometimes it is pretty hard to get good advice so I really appreciate the help.

The center bolt in my Tbar is set pretty loose so I'll tighten that up now. I don't have any other springs for the main shock, but Ill get some ordered tonight. If I could just get a little more rear grip, this thing would be unstoppable
Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #3228
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,453
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky View Post
Congrats for 2nd place at the Nationals!! I saw the results on the other thread. I bet that was one hell of a race!! Were you running the F104 or F103? Is there any video of the event? That is awesome that you are on the forums here too helping everyone out!! Sometimes it is pretty hard to get good advice so I really appreciate the help.

The center bolt in my Tbar is set pretty loose so I'll tighten that up now. I don't have any other springs for the main shock, but Ill get some ordered tonight. If I could just get a little more rear grip, this thing would be unstoppable
Thanks Funkydude, it was intense!
This years Nats were F104 on rubber tires only.

All viddys are here, you get to scroll thru em tho

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/horizonhobby-com

You do want your t bar screw as loose as possible without it stickin out.
Just enough to seat it in the countersunk hole.
Bend the t bar around a little when checking it to see if the screw head edges aren't stickin up or the hole may wear out quickly.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #3229
Tech Addict
 
AndreC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 570
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
Thanks Funkydude, it was intense!
This years Nats were F104 on rubber tires only.

All viddys are here, you get to scroll thru em tho

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/horizonhobby-com

You do want your t bar screw as loose as possible without it stickin out.
Just enough to seat it in the countersunk hole.
Bend the t bar around a little when checking it to see if the screw head edges aren't stickin up or the hole may wear out quickly.
Wow CUDA congratulations!! That's f$#%$ awesome!
AndreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #3230
Tech Addict
 
AndreC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 570
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys what is the absolute easiest way to glue the rubber tires on?
The first set I did came out so-so, after pulling my hair out.
AndreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #3231
Tech Elite
 
rough512's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,454
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreC View Post
Hey guys what is the absolute easiest way to glue the rubber tires on?
The first set I did came out so-so, after pulling my hair out.
YOu need on of those super thin plastic nozzle tips, these are almost as thin as hypodermic needles, which you put on the nozzle of the glue bottle. Very flexible and it will let you squirt the glue on the very tight spaces between wheel and tire.
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #3232
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,453
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreC View Post
Hey guys what is the absolute easiest way to glue the rubber tires on?
The first set I did came out so-so, after pulling my hair out.
Yeh, the F104 tire/rim combo isn't the perfect fit but really isn't off by much and will come out nicely.

I work it around til the foam and tire are as even as possible on the rim.

Then double up a heavy duty rubber band around one side of the tire so that it's squeezed tight to the rim, perfect fit, it'll get there.

Then I go to one spot, I start at the Tamiya logo so I can remember, peel the tire back gently away from the rim in that one spot and put one drop of glue inside the tire lips then fit it back on the rim and hold it for a few seconds.
Less glue lets the tire bond to the rim and not just a flood of glue.

Next I go across to the opposite side of the tire and do the same thing.

Next go halfway back towards the Tamiya logo where you started and do it again, in a cross pattern and repeat again...

You should get the idea, keep putting tiny drops in one spot at a time and you'll be dialed, it goes quickly cuz the small amounts of glue bond quickly.

Finish off this side of the tire/rim with a tiny bead around the edge of the tire/rim and try to peel the tire back gently to expose any loose edges and the glue will fill in those spots.

Kinda like welding sheet metal, one spot, move away from that spot to let it cool and weld another spot, repeat til the whole panel is welded one spot at a time.
__________________
Craig Hammon
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #3233
Tech Master
 
andrew-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 1,210
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Should anyone need an F104 Pro I have one up for sale.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...never-ran.html
__________________
ANDRXW.com
andrew-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #3234
Tech Addict
 
AndreC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 570
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F N CUDA View Post
Yeh, the F104 tire/rim combo isn't the perfect fit but really isn't off by much and will come out nicely.

I work it around til the foam and tire are as even as possible on the rim.

Then double up a heavy duty rubber band around one side of the tire so that it's squeezed tight to the rim, perfect fit, it'll get there.

Then I go to one spot, I start at the Tamiya logo so I can remember, peel the tire back gently away from the rim in that one spot and put one drop of glue inside the tire lips then fit it back on the rim and hold it for a few seconds.
Less glue lets the tire bond to the rim and not just a flood of glue.

Next I go across to the opposite side of the tire and do the same thing.

Next go halfway back towards the Tamiya logo where you started and do it again, in a cross pattern and repeat again...

You should get the idea, keep putting tiny drops in one spot at a time and you'll be dialed, it goes quickly cuz the small amounts of glue bond quickly.

Finish off this side of the tire/rim with a tiny bead around the edge of the tire/rim and try to peel the tire back gently to expose any loose edges and the glue will fill in those spots.

Kinda like welding sheet metal, one spot, move away from that spot to let it cool and weld another spot, repeat til the whole panel is welded one spot at a time.
Awesome!! Thanks!
Now I realize how bad I effed up the first set I did.
AndreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #3235
Tech Addict
 
AndreC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 570
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough512 View Post
YOu need on of those super thin plastic nozzle tips, these are almost as thin as hypodermic needles, which you put on the nozzle of the glue bottle. Very flexible and it will let you squirt the glue on the very tight spaces between wheel and tire.
Sweet. Where can I find those little nozzles? Tower Hobbies has them?
Definitely purchase some of those.
AndreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #3236
Tech Master
 
andrew-01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 1,210
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreC View Post
Sweet. Where can I find those little nozzles? Tower Hobbies has them?
Definitely purchase some of those.
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=401&id=6042

or

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=401&id=6846
__________________
ANDRXW.com
andrew-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #3237
Tech Adept
 
FrankB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 198
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default F104 Pro help please

I need some help with the F104 Pro from the pro's.

My LHS has a weekly race series that allows any 1/10 scale onroad cars to race. Keep in mind these races are for fun and the only thing you win is bragging rights.

My question is this, would the F104 Pro be a good/fun car to race with, on a rubber gym floor surface? Would the stock foam tires work in this application?

I would be powering the car with a Novak Havok 2s 10.5 brushless combo (because I already have it).

Also, does anyone know if the Turnigy 5200mah 2S lipo hardcase battery will fit into the F104?

I am new to onroad (die hard crawler guy here) and I want something different from all of the HPI and Tamiya 4wd touring cars that everyone is running. Always loved the look of the F104 and It would be cool to be the only one there.
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #3238
Tech Elite
 
Foxxrocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 2,018
Default

You make it sound like a "run what you brung" type race. So, I'm guessing there will be 4WD sedan cars and other different kinds of cars in the mix? F1 cars are some what fragile, with open wheels and hard plastic wings.
__________________
Tamiya 416X/ Tamiya TA-05 IFS/ Losi XXX-SCT/ HPI Baja 5SC/ Tamiya M05/ Tamiya F103/ Tamiya F104/ Team Associated 10R5O/ Kyosho IGT2/
Foxxrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #3239
Tech Adept
 
FrankB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 198
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxxrocket View Post
You make it sound like a "run what you brung" type race. So, I'm guessing there will be 4WD sedan cars and other different kinds of cars in the mix? F1 cars are some what fragile, with open wheels and hard plastic wings.
That's exactly what it is. Run what you brung and stay out of the rookies way!

Are they very fragile?

Would I be better off with the HPI F1?
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #3240
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: on the edge of insanity
Posts: 83
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB View Post

Are they very fragile?
Even the most robust car will break in the hands of a hack.

My LHS has 2X4 boards seperating the lanes and for the outer bourder, so any mistake can be harsh on a car. I've hit them on both edges of the front wing, and clapped 'em pretty hard sideways coming out of a couple turns. Nothing broke.

The real question is, can you be satisfied having fun with a car that will not be competative against a good driver with a TC car? And, can you/will you take the time to learn the nuances of setting up the 104?

On Ozite the F104 (on foams) is a blast. Outdoor basketball court with some kind of very grippy surface, slightly more difficult but still a blast.

You'll have to figure out what works for the surface you're gonna be on.
Jeff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 05:57 AM
Tamiya F104, HPI F10 and POPULARITY bxpitbull Electric On-Road 28 07-22-2011 07:13 AM
HPI F10 vs Tamiya F104 Pro daygoVR6 Electric On-Road 38 12-03-2010 02:19 PM
FS: Tamiya F103RM and F104 Pro! SerpentCT4S R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 42 09-12-2009 05:59 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:47 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net