R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #2176
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyed1 View Post
has anyone tried the optional rubber tires for the 104? on the site it just says medium for front hard for rear... i am wondering if there are options like 24/28/32 degree rubber tires for the 104
I raced on the Tamiya rubbers last night. Outdoor, asphalt, warmish night.

They hooked up really well and felt excellent all night.

The kit foams gave me loads of understeer, the rubbers oversteer. I've loosened the diff and lowered the right height at the rear and that made it way better.

Won all three of my races with them
dildil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 AM   #2177
PDR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dildil View Post
I raced on the Tamiya rubbers last night. Outdoor, asphalt, warmish night.

They hooked up really well and felt excellent all night.

The kit foams gave me loads of understeer, the rubbers oversteer. I've loosened the diff and lowered the right height at the rear and that made it way better.

Won all three of my races with them
Just curious as to which foams you were using. I've found the Tamiya B's to probably be the best for my local track (outdoor asphalt) and the kit/A tyres to be fairly ordinary. Next best to the B's are the Spice foams and whilst I'm super keen to find a rubber combination that works, the existing Tamiya ones have been disappointing so far. They have all the hallmarks of Tamiya kit rubber...

Anyway, my set of Ride rims/rubber arrived this week and I'm busy gluing them up in readiness for Sunday. The rims look fabulous and there's four different front compounds (super soft, soft, medium, hard) and 2 different rear compounds (super soft, soft) - I've got one set of each They actually feel like race rubber, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I've also managed to get my hands on a set of warmers, because my last evening outing with the Tamiya ones was bordering on disaster. Couldn't get enough grip (hardly any) to put any heat in them in the first place, so it was a very frustrating time.

I'll almost certainly get a set of upcoming 54198/54199 as soon as they're available, since they also sound promising.
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 AM   #2178
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR View Post
Just curious as to which foams you were using. I've found the Tamiya B's to probably be the best for my local track (outdoor asphalt) and the kit/A tyres to be fairly ordinary.
I was using the foamies that came in the kit. So the A's. I haven't tried the Bs.

I got the pro kit and it's all bog standard, no upgrades at all. Running silvercan.

I found that within two nights of racing on foam, the fronts had worn heaps. 60% on one and maybe 40% on the other. Way faster wear than my f103 used to do.

Last week I went to rubber, I had heaps of oversteer issues, but my diff was crap. The thing kept spinning out like my f103 used too. But the changes I made seemed to work this week (diff rebuild and lowering the rear). It will still spin out if I give it too much juice exiting the corner, but I have a touch of understeer once I've exited and can power on hard after the corner.

I love the feel, and sound, of the rubber tyres. And they feel really 'grippy'

I'm sure once the weather gets colder it will all change, but for now I'm convinced they are better than the foams at my track. Also, I'm not yet using any traction compounds or warmers.

Sorry I can't give you any more info, f1 is kind of my 'fun' class so I'm trying not to blow too much money on it, hence only having the one set of tires lol
dildil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:26 AM   #2179
Tech Regular

anyone running a mod motor on the f104? i am just curious what the chassis can handle, something below 10.5?
dsyed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #2180
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
anyone running a mod motor on the f104? i am just curious what the chassis can handle, something below 10.5?
It's not a matter of what the chassis can handle, it's more of a grip situation.
With the right tires the F104 will handle any motor you are capable of driving, I would put some of the aluminum hop-ups on it first though.

dildil, we have similar grip at the Tamiya USA track
With warm temps the b type rubber tires are quicker than b-type foams.
This is a unique surface with no spray additive.

At other tracks i have run at, the b-type rubbers are useless so far, and b-type foams are brilliant.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #2181
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
It's not a matter of what the chassis can handle, it's more of a grip situation.
With the right tires the F104 will handle any motor you are capable of driving, I would put some of the aluminum hop-ups on it first though.

dildil, we have similar grip at the Tamiya USA track
With warm temps the b type rubber tires are quicker than b-type foams.
This is a unique surface with no spray additive.

At other tracks i have run at, the b-type rubbers are useless so far, and b-type foams are brilliant.
that makes sense... so i presume no one is running anything below 10.5 at this point given we need more grippy tires

now that the rubber tires are available i have become more excited about running my f104.. it's been sitting on the shelf for a while, i guess i will start with 10.5 and hope that tamiya or someone else comes up with high grip tires... I love the f104 idea the chassis everything .. i am just a bigger fan of rubber tires vs foam and besides i feel that the f1 car should be able to run faster than most other class rc cars... just because it is f1
Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #2182
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to zpmhinojosa

Quote:
The last page shows my new 10.5.
zpmhinojosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #2183
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

Hello all. I have a spare set of wheels for rubber tires. What rubber tires are you all using? I have been reading that the rubber tires from the F60 are horrible.

Thanks in advance.
skyline1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #2184
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

the rubber that come in the f60 kit are tamiya type B compound. a hot weather tire. on a hot day 80 deg. + they hook-up real good here in south florida but the weather has been cold....42 deg right now and NO traction at all.
the b type will rock in the summer. I need the new tamiya type a now
they should have released the cold weather tire sooner since the kit was released in the winter
fat500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #2185
Tech Regular

Default Far from horrible

Tamiya's B-type rubber, the tires the F60 came with, are really not horrible, but they are dependent on both track temp. and the heat you can get into the tire. For example, tire warmers will warm them suckers right up and make your car hook up tight.
The rear insert is the key. For all but the coldest days (below 60 deg. F), you should run the tire without an insert, just empty. The tire sidewalls are more than stiff enough to hold up to that. That way, the tire carcass will heat up well.
Yesterday at TA, we had a beautiful day, and guys were able to run the rubber tires well with a variety of inserts for the rears. The stock front inserts seem to be all right, and you can experiment with a variety of your favorite touring-car inserts. Just take the stock inserts and throw them away, unless you maybe want to use them in Mini or something. I think they're only going to be any good on the hottest of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500 View Post
the rubber that come in the f60 kit are tamiya type B compound. a hot weather tire. on a hot day 80 deg. + they hook-up real good here in south florida but the weather has been cold....42 deg right now and NO traction at all.
the b type will rock in the summer. I need the new tamiya type a now
they should have released the cold weather tire sooner since the kit was released in the winter
Tom Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #2186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
Tamiya's B-type rubber, the tires the F60 came with, are really not horrible, but they are dependent on both track temp. and the heat you can get into the tire. For example, tire warmers will warm them suckers right up and make your car hook up tight.
The rear insert is the key. For all but the coldest days (below 60 deg. F), you should run the tire without an insert, just empty. The tire sidewalls are more than stiff enough to hold up to that. That way, the tire carcass will heat up well.
Yesterday at TA, we had a beautiful day, and guys were able to run the rubber tires well with a variety of inserts for the rears. The stock front inserts seem to be all right, and you can experiment with a variety of your favorite touring-car inserts. Just take the stock inserts and throw them away, unless you maybe want to use them in Mini or something. I think they're only going to be any good on the hottest of days.
Hey Tom,
What does your chassis setup look like? Some of us are having an impossible time getting around with the Type-B rubber tires!
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #2187
Tech Adept

It's the dead of winter here, snow on the ground, air temps below freezing. The indoor apshalt track at the Coliseum in Frederick, Maryland is very cold to the touch.

My F104 on kit Tamiya rubber tires was a Spin-Out-Special (S.O.S).

On kit foams, the car hooked up. Kudos to Tamiya for releasing improved foam tires - the F104 foam tires and the pre-mounted F103 foam tires are better than soft HBr foam and the display-quality only foam tires that used to come in the kits.

But were is the good rubber stuff for the F104?
Where is the TCS-legal rubber that will win in the middle of winter?

The local TCS is three weeks away, will the rubber-tire F1 car count will be ZERO?

Is foam the new rubber? I hope not! Please post some cold-weather rubber setups!

Sincerely,
S.O.S
F1Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #2188
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I took the rear shock collar off the damper....rear sits lower than the front for ride ht. 1deg toe in in the ft. soft t-bar and soft spring to no spring in the rear depending on how the car is doing. Type A cold weather tires are listed on tamiyas site but not avail. as of yet
Driving on the B rubber is next to impossible if the air temp is below 74deg.
Even if you warm them up they only hold the heat for about 1.5min.
type a is the only fix if avail by the race or the tamiya race offical will have to make a call the day of the race. Maybe you could call tamiya and give them a heads up and they can make special arrangements for your tcs race to allow for foams
fat500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #2189
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Anyone interested in brand new Tamiya F104 Pro Carbon Fiber top and bottom chassis plates (54164 & 54163) PM me.

I'm located in Maryland, but I have Paypal and I'm willing to ship (I have an outstanding Trader Rating).
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #2190
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpmhinojosa View Post
The last page shows my new 10.5.
thanks zpmhinojosa... what speed control is that? looks cool, i want that ferrari body!!