Community
Wiki Posts
Search

13.5 single cell lipo 1/12

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default 13.5 single cell lipo 1/12

today will be the first time I run my 12th with my brushless and single cell lipo. I will be running with a gtb and a Jr synthesized radio. I know someone out there maybe running a similar setup, My concerns are low voltage on the single cell, does anyone have much trouble with there batteries after 8 minute runs. I have not been able do alot of research about this so tell me what you guys might think and I also need a starting rollout and pinion size, again a lack of reasearch on my end
Old 04-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

I did also puchase a 7.4 receiver pack just incase.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Adept

no one
Old 04-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I ran the LRP speedo with a receiver pack. I figured why risk losing bind on my Spektrum. Car ran real well, and never missed a beat. Start your rollout where you ran your 17.5. Rollout is very track dependent, so just sneak up on it. The car may be a little frisky feeling, a softer setup seemed to settle my DB12. Good luck, and enjoy.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

thank you sir, I have never run a 17.5 just a stock 27t with nimh. I am anxious for sure..
Old 04-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Try a 45/78 if your running big tires or 47/78 with race cut tires. Change pinions as needed until your pack takes 2200~2300 MAH to re-charge.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Company Representative

We will be shipping our SmartBoost soon. No need for a separate receiver pack:

Smart Boost 1-Cell Li-Po Step-Up Module
Old 04-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

http://ohiohobbyplus.com

He sells voltage boosters. There is not a picture on the website. However it is a plug and play maybe a half inch long and the width of a small pinky finger.. I ran one last weekend in the 12th scale with no problems at all. I also do use the Spektrum equipment.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We will be shipping our SmartBoost soon. No need for a separate receiver pack:

Smart Boost 1-Cell Li-Po Step-Up Module
Holy crap...you HAD noticed we wanted to use those in 1/12 cars didn't you? That thing looks huge (it it isn't maybe put it next to a dime for size comparison). And for cryin' out loud, why 75' of wire? Kee-riminy.

Finally, about that price...$40 at a DISCOUNT???!!! WTF?

Have a look here everybody: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7884

I ordered in five of these, they cost right at $30/shipped FOR ALL FIVE and were here in about a week (maybe a week and a half). Oh...and no waiting. They've got 491 of these IN STOCK as I type this.

At the 1s / 10.5 demo race in Denver last month we ran these with GTB's (plug-n-play--YEAH NOVAK!!) and Tekin (simple work-around) and they work GREAT. We also used them on LRP/Nosram but hadn't figured out the workaround yet, and I'm looking forward to trying them with my new KO BMC controllers.

Looks like TQ is selling an almost identical piece to the Hobby King unit (solders to pack leads, not inline with the esc...may actually solve workaround on Tekin) for $25. You could do the same thing (I think) with the Hobby King unit if you do a bit of a workaround on the unit.

I'm sure Novak have studied this thing to death and theirs has more bells and whistles and will keep my Cokes cold between races, but HONESTLY, these little Chinese boosters work GREAT (3.7-4.5v in, 5v out, 1amp continuous, 1.5amp surge) and the price can't be beaten. Plus they fit conveniently in a 1/12 chassis/body which the development people at Novak seem to think are TC-sized. Maybe their market is TC and they think somebody there's going 1s. We're going to experiment with 1s / 13.5 on our VTA cars here. With the $6 units.

Oh, and you DO want to run a voltage booster or receiver pack. I know folks have found that the 4-cell GTB will WORK for an 8-minute heat without help, but that servo starts out REALLY sluggish and goes downhill from there. I won't use a receiver pack on a bet (talk about taking ALL convenience realized going to LiPo in 1/12 and flushing it in the crapper because now you have to charge TWO batteries) but these boosters are the real deal.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
http://ohiohobbyplus.com

He sells voltage boosters. There is not a picture on the website. However it is a plug and play maybe a half inch long and the width of a small pinky finger.. I ran one last weekend in the 12th scale with no problems at all. I also do use the Spektrum equipment.
Thanks Jamie. Website has been replaced with an all new shopping page. Great deal on a single cell lipo and booster!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Company Representative

The press release for the Havoc 1S controller and systems will go out in @2 weeks. This new Havoc 1S esc incorporates our new Smartboost circuitry----1S lipo cut-off and booster. At this time, we are planning 3 systems----10.5 (4200kv), 13.5 (3300Kv), and 17.5 (2200Kv). The systems will include the SS Pro spec motors and we will also offer the esc separately.

The Havoc 1S is also compatible with our new Ballistic motors. We have not yet determined the motor limit for the Havoc 1S esc; the motor limit we set for the 2S and 3S Havocs is 8.5, while the new Havoc Pro is rated to 3.5 and above.

We believe that this system will attract new racers into the hobby, as well as offering an inexpensive system for others wanting to try out one cell racing. Our "street price" for the systems will be @ $159.99. The Havoc 1S esc should be @ $99.00 (street price). When we do the press release, we will have additional info, such as projected ship dates.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A club racer at our track running off-road tried to put a Duo 2 on the Havoc (Havoc/Ballistic combo), and the system wouldn't run the motor. He stated later that he discovered that the Havoc requires that all motors have temperature sensors. Is this true? Will this be the same for the 1s Havoc ESCs, too? If this is the case, I think that Novak just shot itself in the foot, again. If you could offer some insight on what may be the trouble, it would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Company Representative

The Havoc 1S, 2S and 3S controllers all have the software that requires the use of a motor with the heat sensor protecting the motor (and esc) from overheating damage.

We have been quite specific in our press releases, for example, the Havoc 3S:

MOTOR COMPATIBILITY

The Havoc 3S ESC is compatible with all brushless motors that have built-in thermal protection, such as Novak’s Ballistic Spec Brushless Motor Series (#3610-#3621) and SS Pro Brushless Motor Series (#3408-#3421). Combined, these spec motors and Havoc 3S are perfect for speed demons and, when used with 2S Li-Po, are ideal for ROAR-approved spec class racing.

The Havoc 3S ESC contains Thermal Overload Protection circuitry to protect the system from overheating and damage. In fact, the ESC will only operate with brushless motors that have built-in thermal protection that follow ROAR guidelines. This sophisticated feature ensures a fun day at the track without the worry of overheating. For the complete list of compatible motors, click here.
We do not offer the Havoc 2S separately----only in a system.

Originally Posted by timmay70
A club racer at our track running off-road tried to put a Duo 2 on the Havoc (Havoc/Ballistic combo), and the system wouldn't run the motor. He stated later that he discovered that the Havoc requires that all motors have temperature sensors. Is this true? Will this be the same for the 1s Havoc ESCs, too? If this is the case, I think that Novak just shot itself in the foot, again. If you could offer some insight on what may be the trouble, it would be most appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Does the Havok systems offer any dynamic timing features? The internally boosted BEC is a huge step in the right direction, however all the other guys are really taking advantage of this latest craze in timing advance. To offer 1 option without the other right now is a real bummer.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by sportpak
Does the Havok systems offer any dynamic timing features? The internally boosted BEC is a huge step in the right direction, however all the other guys are really taking advantage of this latest craze in timing advance. To offer 1 option without the other right now is a real bummer.
The advanced timing escs are much costlier than these Havocs, no AT at these prices.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.