Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
iPhone applications for R/C (need ideas!) >

iPhone applications for R/C (need ideas!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone applications for R/C (need ideas!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default iPhone applications for R/C (need ideas!)

Hi all,

I'm a software developer by profession and I've raced RC cars for a few years now. There have been a number of times that I've wished there were an RC application for the iPhone to do this or do that.

I'd like to develop a few applications for the iPhone specifically for RC and I was hoping to get input from you.

One of the main apps I'd like to see is one for setups. Here are some ideas:

- Allows me to store setups (camber, shock oil weights, spring rates, tire shore, etc, etc) with some notes and later I can pull that setup back up.

- Contains setup explanations for each area of the car. For instance modifying your camber does blah blah blah. This might even be car-specific as ramifications vary by model.

- Displays current weather information based on your location and stores this with the setup for that day (temperature, humidity,etc).

- Might provide setup suggestions to achieve certain results. This would have to be model-specific. For instance I tell it that my car currently exhibits some off-throttle oversteer mid-corner and based on my current settings, it offers some suggestions.

- Might allow for uploading your setups and perhaps downloading setups of others, etc. This wouldn't help much if other people weren't using the application but if the application really caught on, could be great.

- Could contain some reference information like oil rate conversions across brands, etc.

Before I dive into such an application, you could really help me by answering:

1. Would YOU buy an RC-specific application from the iPhone/iTouch Application Store?

2. Besides a setup application like this, what would you like to see?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would definitely buy an App for set up info and details! Great idea! You could call it The RC Pit Man! LOL! LMK !!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

a setup app would be sweet
Old 04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I would buy such a app for my iPhone. Try to include something for off-road as well.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The obvious - Rollout calculator.

For setups sheets, they should be modifiable and with a note section.

Perhaps a setup sharing network. Something like Facebook or Myspace where users can upload their setup sheets to the network and other users can download them. Call it something like iAmFaster
Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would def. buy a setup app like that! I don't know if it's out there yet but a "gearchart.com" type app (without the need of internet connection) would be sweet too.
Maybe add a page in there somewhere that gives you a quick reference page similar to the last page of the XXXMain set up book.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey, that's great to hear that there would be some interest! Keep the suggestions coming!

I actually wondered about releasing an interactive gear chart / rollout chart on the cheap (think $0.99) before a full-blown setup app.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hello There,

With all The current speed controllers out there that you need a computer to make adjuments on Is it possible to have the Ipod touch and iphone be able to interface with these speed controllers to make quick adjustments? I think that would cool

Originally Posted by Arboleda
Hi all,

I'm a software developer by profession and I've raced RC cars for a few years now. There have been a number of times that I've wished there were an RC application for the iPhone to do this or do that.

I'd like to develop a few applications for the iPhone specifically for RC and I was hoping to get input from you.

One of the main apps I'd like to see is one for setups. Here are some ideas:

- Allows me to store setups (camber, shock oil weights, spring rates, tire shore, etc, etc) with some notes and later I can pull that setup back up.

- Contains setup explanations for each area of the car. For instance modifying your camber does blah blah blah. This might even be car-specific as ramifications vary by model.

- Displays current weather information based on your location and stores this with the setup for that day (temperature, humidity,etc).

- Might provide setup suggestions to achieve certain results. This would have to be model-specific. For instance I tell it that my car currently exhibits some off-throttle oversteer mid-corner and based on my current settings, it offers some suggestions.

- Might allow for uploading your setups and perhaps downloading setups of others, etc. This wouldn't help much if other people weren't using the application but if the application really caught on, could be great.

- Could contain some reference information like oil rate conversions across brands, etc.

Before I dive into such an application, you could really help me by answering:

1. Would YOU buy an RC-specific application from the iPhone/iTouch Application Store?

2. Besides a setup application like this, what would you like to see?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure an SDK was released which should allow development to allow the iPhone to connect to things.. Such as a speed control.. hehe

But yea, id definitely buy it.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Store transponder number as well. Mine is about to rub off.

I think if you have roll out calculator and setup help thats the best of it. Perhaps as it grew you could update with track specific setups as well. Maybe some sort of RC social networking.... Hey Bubba! you racin today???
Old 04-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default iPhone app

Great idea. You can view pdfs on the iPhone, so things like tuning guides are already a possibility. I use the Air Sharing app to move them over from my computer. I have a lot of excel files that I've developed myself or have snagged from other sources -- things like rollout charts, weight calculations, spring rates, etc. It would be awesome to be able to take them along without dragging the laptop along.

Setup sheets with room for notes would be great. And the ability to program your speedo from your phone would be killer.

I think you're definitely on to something. I think most apps are settling into the $0.99; 4.99; 9.99 price points. A specific RC app would likely be more to the high end of the scale, since your overall market is fairly small.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Setup sheets and tips would be good. There is already a rollout calculator on there for .99 cents. Its called gearit. you can search for it and it works great..No internet required.

EA
Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

1. Yes, I would buy it from apps store.

2. Hotwire
Old 04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If there is one application like the KO propo ICS would be great.

cant imagine having the bragging rights when you setting your speedo with your iphone instead of the overprice ICS adaptor.

All the best!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by komkit
1. Yes, I would buy it from apps store.

2. Hotwire
X2, Tekin you should make a hotwire app for the iphone so I dont have to bring my computer!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.