Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
iPhone applications for R/C (need ideas!) >

iPhone applications for R/C (need ideas!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone applications for R/C (need ideas!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

BTW there already is a rollout calculator for the iphone. I got it already...Pretty sweet!

I definitely vote for Brushless speed control apps. Like Tekin, KO, castle, etc!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

x2 on being able to instal Castle software!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know this is for nitro guys.
I have this software for Windows based OS and I am pretty sure it will be a lot of guys who wants to have it woking on IPhone, not sure about IToch, will need mic engine and mic attachment. It is audio tachometer. I've used many times, but it required to cary laptop and it is damn heavy (my is Dell Precision M90).
As it is right now is for control line speed FAI airplanes, but it is not dificult to put other equatation with variables, let's say, full gear ratio of the car, tires roll out and heav real speed at given moment. With variables which can be set on screen with GUI.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Store transponder number as well. Mine is about to rub off.
Just add it as a contact in your phone
been doing that for years now.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Tech Adept

I can't get apps downloaded here in SA Could you make these work on a Blackberry? And do you program in Java? What do I need to get a app on my BB?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tpczx6
Just add it as a contact in your phone
been doing that for years now.

+1. That's what I do, and same with locker combos, ect.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default iPhone App -- CrossWeight

Just installed CrossWeight on my iPhone. $1.99. You need scales to provide the weights, then enter each wheel weight and it calculates all the percentages. Very helpful. You can email the results automatically. Sort of helpful. It has 5 "pages", so you can weigh the car 5 times before having to write over the first session.

Also, "Spreadsheet" can import Excel files that you can then edit. If you have setup sheets in Excel, you can fill them out on your iPhone. $9.99. I'll have to think about that one.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Note that my friend designed "gearit" for the iphone. The new version is available at the itunes app store right now. There is a review of the old version under features in my website www.rcracing2.com . A review of the new 2.0 version will be up as soon as he sends me the screen shots.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Lap Times

In addition to the setup stuff. A spot for your fast lap time, qualifying time and main laps would be great.

With the qual time, maybe even a space for a few of your closest competitors. So the next race at that track, you have an idea of where you might have been the previous race.

I can't wait for an app like this.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

How about a setup diagnostics program. Like you enter my car is loose at mid corner. And it replys with check list of items to check.

Or my car is unpredictable at corner entry. And it replys with a check list of things that may be broken or wrongly setup.

Another idea would be practice lap timing. My cell phone has a stop watch but after 20 laps, it stops counting. So I need a 100 lap counter and save function with notes. Now if the app could somehow use the camera or the tilt to detect motion in a zone of the video frame it could be used to auto-count laps.

A very cool app would be a body-paint layout designer. Pick the body type( buggy, sedan, truck ect ect) Pick the layout design (flame, dots, paint drips ect ect). Tweak the sizes or layers and choose colors.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm just getting back into racing since 1990. I'll buy an iphone app.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
How about a setup diagnostics program. Like you enter my car is loose at mid corner. And it replys with check list of items to check.

Or my car is unpredictable at corner entry. And it replys with a check list of things that may be broken or wrongly setup.
I wish it was that easy to diagnosis. Its really more complicated that that. No iphone program will solve those problems. You have to use your head on this sort of stuff.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arboleda
Hi all,

I'm a software developer by profession and I've raced RC cars for a few years now. There have been a number of times that I've wished there were an RC application for the iPhone to do this or do that....

- Might provide setup suggestions to achieve certain results. This would have to be model-specific. For instance I tell it that my car currently exhibits some off-throttle oversteer mid-corner and based on my current settings, it offers some suggestions....
Actually that idea was originally brought up by the guy who started this thread.

Like I said in a previous post, if an app was laid out to work as an electronic version of the XXXMain book it would work just fine. For example, if you were to click on "Loose off power", it could come up with a drop down list with the first possible solution on top "Stiffen front springs" then "Soften rear springs" then "Thicker front shock oil" etc...
This set up assist app would not have to be car specific to work.

The reason that these types of apps, or any apps for that matter, are developed is so you don't have to use your head on this sort of stuff.

not trying to bust your balls, just try to give constructive criticism.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

That would be cool! I allready have the gearit app and it's great!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trailranger
Another idea would be practice lap timing. My cell phone has a stop watch but after 20 laps, it stops counting. So I need a 100 lap counter and save function with notes. Now if the app could somehow use the camera or the tilt to detect motion in a zone of the video frame it could be used to auto-count laps.
I LOVE the idea of using the phone with motion sensing as a lap timer. That is always my problem when I go to the track with no transponder.