R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #12391
Tech Addict

so ive heard that running a fan on the esc will descrease the motor temp is that true?
rc car guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #12392
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32819toon View Post
A number of issues I'm having :-

Car running Speed Passion motors which were part of Combos sold with either the Reventon S or R speed controllers. The brakes are really poor, even running 20% drag brake. Club mates have suggested that is actually the motor and not the esc.

Reventon R and S have poor reverse. It either actually doesn't work at all, or has a delay.

I like the smoothness of the esc but the problems listed are making me seriously consider selling all my Speed Passion equipment and buying another brand as my racing enjoyment is being spoiled. I would like the SP advisor Solara on this thread to advise on these in case I can make some improvements.
...And, if I am correct, every esc has a delay when you set it up to use reverse; regardless of make or model.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #12393
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold View Post
...And, if I am correct, every esc has a delay when you set it up to use reverse; regardless of make or model.
When I say delay, I mean a DELAY ! Actually, the Hobbywing ones don't have a delay, but a double click function before reverse is activated. Much easier to use as you know when your reverse will kick in.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #12394
Tech Addict

Quote:
When I say delay, I mean a DELAY ! Actually, the Hobbywing ones don't have a delay, but a double click function before reverse is activated. Much easier to use as you know when your reverse will kick in.
id suggest you read the manual on the reverse settings you can set it so it does something similar to the double tap function the delay is maybe 3 sec if you have your throttle position set correctly when doing it, my money would be your finger not letting the trigger go back to neutral
Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #12395
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc car guy View Post
id suggest you read the manual on the reverse settings you can set it so it does something similar to the double tap function the delay is maybe 3 sec if you have your throttle position set correctly when doing it, my money would be your finger not letting the trigger go back to neutral
Thanks, I'll take a look
Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #12396
Tech Addict

Manual says double tap but it doesn't work like that. I'll re-program the ESC & see what happens
Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #12397
Tech Addict

Quote:
Manual says double tap but it doesn't work like that. I'll re-program the ESC & see what happens
well there are different settings in the esc, you have to plug into the computer to change them, this is something that my friend showed me
Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #12398
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

From the manual

Note: “Forward/Reverse with Brake” mode uses “double‐tap” method to engage reverse, i.e.
when you first apply brakes (The 1st“tap”), the ESC begins to brake and the motor reduces speed,
but it will not engage reverse. When the throttle is moved back to neutral and quickly back to
brake, (The 2nd“tap”) reverse will engage as long as the car is stopped. The “Double‐tap” method
can prevent mistakenly reversing if the brakes are frequently used.

So the car must be at a standstill for it to engauge reverse.

Also try putting brake power at %100 and re-calibrate your rx to the esc. I run %50 brake on my Reventon's and they stop very well
Pittster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #12399
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Howard and all -- just want to let you know that the speed passion reventon stock club ESC won usvta at the 2014 snowbirds...
Speedo worked well all week long and was part of the total package to allow me to win the class.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #12400
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just curious has anyone trying the new revention pro 1.1 ex in 12 scale yet, if so how your though on it

Also like to know if the old speed passion programmer (hand held) will work with the new esc

Thanks been out for seems like a a few years looking for all new esc again
cyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #12401
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Howard and all -- just want to let you know that the speed passion reventon stock club ESC won usvta at the 2014 snowbirds...
Speedo worked well all week long and was part of the total package to allow me to win the class.

Congratulations on the win and thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrrus View Post
Just curious has anyone trying the new revention pro 1.1 ex in 12 scale yet, if so how your though on it

Also like to know if the old speed passion programmer (hand held) will work with the new esc

If you will be getting Reventons, then you will need the new blue Reventon Programmer cards.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #12402
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrrus View Post

Yes, I run it in 12th mod. I really like it, especially after we worked through the Hybrid Boost program settings (all of the parameters are different than anything before and thus they work differently than you might think). Of course if you are only running blinky than some of that won't apply. I plan on testing a stutter stopper in the Rx (you can buy the Novak one or make your own with a cap and an Rx plug). We want to see if this may help to further protect the BEC. BEC's in 1s brushless esc's can take a real beating at times due to the sudden amp spikes from the servo during unintended incidents. - Thanks to fellow SP USA team mate Rob King for coming up with a more practical way of implementing what I was thinking about regarding increased filtering from these amp spikes.

I think you will really like the throttle feel and the esc's are fast and run cool. They are one of only a few 140a 1s esc's out there. Just make sure to turn your esc brakes all the way up and then customize from there, instead of starting low and trying to work your way up. That way you will not think something is wrong with the brakes. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #12403
Tech Adept

I want to buy Rebenton PRO 1.1 for onroad with 5.5T motor

MOD1. Have boost timming but not turbo timing?
For modified motor 5.5T can i set boost and turbo timing? I need to change firmware?

thanks and regards
TyoBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #12404
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
I saw the race....well done. congrats on the WIN.....Speed Passion Snowbird VTA A-main champion...
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #12405
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyoBBS View Post
I want to buy Rebenton PRO 1.1 for onroad with 5.5T motor

MOD1. Have boost timming but not turbo timing?
For modified motor 5.5T can i set boost and turbo timing? I need to change firmware?

thanks and regards
No, you will have to use the program called STOCK1 for boost and turbo. Download the interface and use the included LCD to load software....plenty of boost mod setup on Speed Passion website.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote