Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Speed Passion Thread >

The Speed Passion Thread

Like Tree57Likes

The Speed Passion Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So my thinking on esc requirement is this; motor requires x watts to run. Motor specifies say... 244 watts for 13.5. Might be higher or lower. At 3.7 volts you would need 65 amps to supply that wattage continuously. This might explain why the car had great punch off the line but past 8-10 ft had nothing.
If the motor wattage is a constant, the stock club race and s models would'nt be sufficient. It works in 2s obviously as 244watts/7.4 volts is roughly 32 amps.

Now i would expect the esc to ve getting being run at max duty cycle and still not supplying required power. Though my esc came off at 110f with the motor around 145f after 8minutes.

Of course using wattage calculation might not be the case as that would put a 4.5 car well over 200amps required continuously lol. So im not really sure how it all scales with voltage. Two weeks until i can try different motor settings.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Nexus
If you cover the holes it will negatively effect cooling.
Sure it will effect the cooling. But with 17.5 and the stock spec esc (without turbo). In a 2wd buggy the motor will be so cold it will not cause any issue. I am running a V3 8.5T with reventon pro v1.1 in my team C 2wd buggy now. With the Turbo on the motor temp never exceed 50 degree C. (motor without fan and all holes covered). This is only for 2wd buggy class, donot cover the holes in other application or you will fry the motor in no time.......
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
All i did to get it to work was hook it up with a cheap hobbyking booster to the rx. Solder the red wire of a servo tail to the eac positive. Plug that into a booster cap and to the rx. An rx pack would also work.
This overrides the swirch too so only need one wire off the esc.
I also had to set the lipo cutoff to no protection mode.

Now, whether its worthwhile to use his esc is another story. I just could not keep pace tonight. Lst year running a tekin rs and 17.5 reedy with boost i could stay in the top 3. This year, 13.5 blinky i just could bot get on the pace at all. Two laps down lol.

I dont think 40 amps is enough but ill try it again. I had similar top speed but not nearly the grunt. Had my reey mach 2 rolling out about he same as a d3.5 with similar rotor and timing and coming off 45degrees hotter lol.
Ill try some different settings next time.
Yes, of course..........if your "setup" really indeed work with the REVENTON series ESC, the ESC that you want to use and to keep the cost down is actually REVENTON 'R"..............

Can you give us a shot/image of your wire up of the ESC and the hobbyking booster pack.....I am not sure I am understanding your setup configuration...thanks.

Also, are you referring to this booster pack...?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TerribleTy
I understand 100%, I wasn't trying to fuss I was hoping someone would say hey man I have one, as no one around here locally does. I ran them yesterday along with my Reventon Pro 1.1 and couldn't be happier. Power delivery is awesome and the DRRS scales very well. Overall I'm very happy, I'm still after a programming card for the GT2.1 EX though.
GT series use LCD card....

http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/prolcd/
Old 10-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Solara
GT series use LCD card....

http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/prolcd/
Yes I see where to get them, it also shows out of stock. I got the URL the first time you posted it and I appreciate that. I'm still waiting for the availabily though.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Certainly!

in the middle of the pciture we see the esc +/- post. after soldering the wires and cap in place, i soldered the middle wire of a servo tail "red" to the esc + post. this goes to the $6 hobbyking cap. you can use muchmore cap or whatever too much money cap you want. all it does is step the voltage up. you could place it anywhere you want. coming off the battery even i just solder it to the esc for simplicity.

you dont need the cap negative.

as with the tekin RS this provides 6v to the rx and allows the esc to power up in single cell. you do have to turn off lipo protection in the esc. i was able to get it work with it in stock setting 3.4 volts but only ran the motor for a few seconds. once i let off the throttle it wouldnt start up again.
turning it off the esc works flawlessly.

the throttle feel is very linear and nice. has good punch, but for whatever reason i was just getting murdered on the track. i qualified 1 lap down of first place. 6th on the amain grid. was getting 9.8 fast laps but competing with guys doing 9.5/9.6.

im not ready to blame the esc. might just be bad driving but i wouldn't ind trying something a little more powerful but still on the cheap side as 120amp units seem way overkill as well as overpriced for blinky classes. yet people still recommend them like gospel.

i might try the Reventon R. im in the market for a second dedicated 1/12 esc. the hobbywing is nice cause it has everything built in, but $189 to go slow lol.. too much..
of course, right now anything is too much with the $1500 im putting into my mazda just to get to work =\
Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by valk
Certainly!

I might try the Reventon R. im in the market for a second dedicated 1/12 esc. the hobbywing is nice cause it has everything built in, but $189 to go slow lol.. too much..of course, right now anything is too much with the $1500 im putting into my mazda just to get to work =\
Thank you....I will have to try it. But meanwhile, I just received my testing sample of the Reventon V1.1 EX will have to try boost 4.5 with that first....
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TerribleTy
Yes I see where to get them, it also shows out of stock. I got the URL the first time you posted it and I appreciate that. I'm still waiting for the availabily though.
Ah...sorry, I didn't know they are out of stock, I am sure they will be back in stock soon. Check A-main, TQ and Stormer....
Old 10-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Regular

Need some clarification on led indicator in relation to sensored motors and blinky stock racing.

i have a reventon pro 1.1 running in blinky 17.5, the manual says that if the esc is running on sensor mode, the orange and red light will remain on. if thats the case how would the esc show in blinky mode (red lights blinking) if the red led is constantly lit?

What im trying to really figure out is, how can i tell if my motor is running at sensored mode while running blinky?
Old 10-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Last edited by aussierevo; 10-26-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: double post
Old 10-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

need some help with the reventon pro usb installer program.
I've downloaded the latest software version from the website, installed the PC interface. When I go to run the SPUsbInstaller.exe i get an error message that says
'cannot find setup.ini. needed to run the driver installer' and so I can't instal the USB software to update my LCD Card

I can see this file is part of the software download but it's simply a note.

I've tried twice uninstalling and downloading from the website but no luck.

Any suggestions. I'm regretting going over to speed passion.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostroke
Has anyone had the magnet come off of the rotor shaft?

This is 7.5R 3.0 motor I got in a Reventon Pro combo from a popular vendor online.

I told someone who also runs SP offroad and they told me based on the number stamped on the motor, the rotor will be replaced by SP because this was happening for a particular batch.

I have emailed SP North America support but haven't heard back in a while.

Just wondering if anyone else has had to go through this.
Yes I have had this happen also to a 5.5 motor. Submitted an RMA on July 23, still don't have it back. I also sent back two reventon pro esc's on Oct21 and my tracking showed out for delivery on Oct 25 but now shows available for pickup. Not sure exactly what the issues are but losing faith. Too bad too because
I really liked the combos for running mod dirt oval.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gindlmi
Quote:
Originally Posted by twostroke
Has anyone had the magnet come off of the rotor shaft?

This is 7.5R 3.0 motor I got in a Reventon Pro combo from a popular vendor online.

I told someone who also runs SP offroad and they told me based on the number stamped on the motor, the rotor will be replaced by SP because this was happening for a particular batch.

I have emailed SP North America support but haven't heard back in a while.

Just wondering if anyone else has had to go through this.
Yes I have had this happen also to a 5.5 motor. Submitted an RMA on July 23, still don't have it back. I also sent back two reventon pro esc's on Oct21 and my tracking showed out for delivery on Oct 25 but now shows available for pickup. Not sure exactly what the issues are but losing faith. Too bad too because
I really liked the combos for running mod dirt oval.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aussierevo
need some help with the reventon pro usb installer program.
I've downloaded the latest software version from the website, installed the PC interface. When I go to run the SPUsbInstaller.exe i get an error message that says
'cannot find setup.ini. needed to run the driver installer' and so I can't instal the USB software to update my LCD Card

I can see this file is part of the software download but it's simply a note.

I've tried twice uninstalling and downloading from the website but no luck.

Any suggestions. I'm regretting going over to speed passion.
when it says "cannot find setup.ini" does it give you the option to manually find the file?
And do you have the program box plugged in when you're trying to install the usb driver?

Cheers
Rob.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ta04evah
when it says "cannot find setup.ini" does it give you the option to manually find the file?
And do you have the program box plugged in when you're trying to install the usb driver?

Cheers
Rob.
i found the problem was with my laptop. I tried another laptop and it setup as required and enabled me to setup etc. That was all good, but the esc failed me tonight.

Run 2 6min heats tonight and all seem ok, but in the first final, after 3 lap warm up and sitting on grid for 2 mins, the car shut down. no power. on the bench i tried to turn on but it simply doesn't start up. tried another battery, no good.

has anyone had this problem or suggestions what to do to solve. is it the capacitor, receiver issue or simply the esc is stuffed. I tried to connect the program card but it won't power up.
any suggestions would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.