R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #12046
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

for the current 21.5T motors available from Speed Passion, I have a question concerning 2S usage.

I have heard that the 21.5T 1 Cell version is a newer build than the V3.0 Competition and is usable on 2S. Basically it was the basis for the MMM, at least so I was told. I would like to know for USGT touring usage, is this motor viable?

Thinking of picking either that one up or the V3.0 Competition 21.5 .
Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #12047
Tech Legend

for the current 21.5T motors available from Speed Passion, I have a question concerning 2S usage.

I have heard that the 21.5T 1 Cell version is a newer build than the V3.0 Competition and is usable on 2S. Basically it was the basis for the MMM, at least so I was told. I would like to know for USGT touring usage, is this motor viable?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #12048
Tech Initiate

Default Why doesn't my esc work?

Hi guys,
Got myself a new Reventon R ESC & 21.5 mmm motor for my tamiya F104. It all looked good in the box - and that's where it ends.
I have bench connected all the components together to battery, rx, etc including a savox servo. I have tried to get the components working but nothing! The battery is charged but no lights come on or anything. Tried just the ESC by itself but still no life. I am new to RC and I thought the electrical setup would be simple. I seem to be wrong there! Any ideas for what I have done wrong / or need to do?
Gemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #12049
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Cain, I am running the 21.5 1 cell in my F1 car on 2s and it flies. I've always liked the 1s motors over the 3.0 or even the MMM. Sadly the sources for them are drying up so I'll be moving to other motors at some point in the near future.
Special thanks to EMRFactory and VBC Racing.
linkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #12050
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemec View Post
Hi guys,
Got myself a new Reventon R ESC & 21.5 mmm motor for my tamiya F104. It all looked good in the box - and that's where it ends.
I have bench connected all the components together to battery, rx, etc including a savox servo. I have tried to get the components working but nothing! The battery is charged but no lights come on or anything. Tried just the ESC by itself but still no life. I am new to RC and I thought the electrical setup would be simple. I seem to be wrong there! Any ideas for what I have done wrong / or need to do?
Hum..... usually they are quite reliable. Can show some pic for the connections?
roche.hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #12051
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info!

Picked up some 25.5's as they run in the region ROAR style VTA from what I have been told basically.

May pick up a 21.5 though if I can fine one for a good price + shipping too.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #12052
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

It can be used on USGT....I used one. And it is pretty quick....here is the time line of our V3 motor...

V3 then 1S V3 then MMM V3.....however, 1S 21.5 is discontinued.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #12053
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Hi guys,
When you say NO LIFE.....you mean, no servo movement? no lights on the ESC, no motor movement no nothing...? If so....I don't think you have any power going thru the ESC....see you can bring it to the local hobby shop and ask for help, or, shoot a video and post here and we might be able to help you in some form....

Also, make sure your signal wire going from the receiver to the ESC are correct....
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #12054
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi guys,
Be sure of your connections.

Check that from reciever to speedo the polarities are correct.
204 Raceway Winnipeg 1/10-1/8 Offroad. Owner.
mtbboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #12055
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info Solara!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #12056
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
When you say NO LIFE.....you mean, no servo movement? no lights on the ESC, no motor movement no nothing...? If so....I don't think you have any power going thru the ESC....see you can bring it to the local hobby shop and ask for help, or, shoot a video and post here and we might be able to help you in some form....

Also, make sure your signal wire going from the receiver to the ESC are correct....
Yes that's right - absolutely nothing! Below are some photos of the wiring. (I know I haven't connected the motor wires into their final position) I have check the battery on my daughters car and it works. I have checked the polarity of the cables and to my novice eyes they seem right.

The Speed Passion Thread-img_2740.jpg

The Speed Passion Thread-img_2741.jpg

The Speed Passion Thread-img_2742.jpg

The Speed Passion Thread-img_2743.jpg

The Speed Passion Thread-img_2744.jpg

On the Reventon R ESC - where are the lights located? In the switch I assume.
Gemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #12057
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 21.5 MMM gets too hot in less than a minute

I was testing my car by driving it around on the floor inside my house. I was just slowly driving it up and down my hallway to see if everything was working fine. When I picked it up and touched the motor I noticed it was pretty warm for only 1 or 2 minutes of slow driving inside the house. I took the motor off the car and ran it for about 40 seconds for full throttle and I could slowly hear it get bit slower as the temperature went up to around 115-140F depending on where on the motor I was measuring from. I'm thinking this is not normal because my 17.5 MMM only gets slightly warm when I do the same thing. I took the motor apart and I could not find anything wrong so what would cause the motor to get hot so quick?
jdawg81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #12058
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

@ Gemec

The light is located in the side of the ESC in the groove.

Try calibrating the ESC to your Tx sometimes you have to reverse the throttle signal for it to work at all.

Follow manual for Calibration
Pittster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #12059
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg81 View Post
I was testing my car by driving it around on the floor inside my house. I was just slowly driving it up and down my hallway to see if everything was working fine. When I picked it up and touched the motor I noticed it was pretty warm for only 1 or 2 minutes of slow driving inside the house. I took the motor off the car and ran it for about 40 seconds for full throttle and I could slowly hear it get bit slower as the temperature went up to around 115-140F depending on where on the motor I was measuring from. I'm thinking this is not normal because my 17.5 MMM only gets slightly warm when I do the same thing. I took the motor apart and I could not find anything wrong so what would cause the motor to get hot so quick?
In general, you really don't want to be free revving a motor like that. Its a quick way to have destroyed motor.

As for your temp issue, do you notice any funny with the motor on starts, stops, etc?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #12060
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg81 View Post
In general, you really don't want to be free revving a motor like that. Its a quick way to have destroyed motor.

As for your temp issue, do you notice any funny with the motor on starts, stops, etc other than the temp.