R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #106
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default New GT2

Hey guys just got the new SP GT2 and 10.5, does any one know of a good start off point for timing and gearing on a med/fast outdoor ashfalt track. Considering the timing on the SP 10.5 is not adjustable, does that mean I should run more ESC timing. Thanks in advance.
warpspeed57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #107
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

ok guys i have the gt 2.0 lpf speed control and wanted to know whats the best bang for the buck settings for the speed control ddrs timing etc for tc with 21.5 running in the vta class and should i advance the motor timing also or leave it stock. fdr right now is at 5.0 and its a xray t2007
wickedjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 AM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Does the GT2.0 have the ability to change timing on the fly? If so can I adjust the diiference between lower RPM timing and high RPM timing?

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #109
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer View Post
memix:
Since we're re-creating some info for the moment, here's how the interplay with timing advance and gearing works:

When you're setting up a new power system or stepping onto a new track with anything faster than a 10.5 motor, always start with the timing advance LOW. If you're too slow, start to gear up to whatever the track can handle or whatever you can handle. Remember that low lap times are what you're looking for, and that blazing speed down the straight that everyone likes may end up giving you SLOWER lap times in the long run

Once you've got the gearing in the right range, then you can experiment with some higher timing advance for a bit more straight speed and punch out of the corners, but remember - adding timing advance is very much like adding a tooth or two to the pinion - The car will be faster, and the motor will get hotter. Watch your temps while you're doing it and experiment with how you like the feel of a few teeth down on the pinion combined with a few settings up on the timing. Generally low timing and faster gearing will give you a smoother softer feel in the infield - generally good for tight technical tracks. Higher timing and slower gearing gives you a punchier hard hitting feel (which some prefer on any track).

For 10.5, 13.5, 17.5 and 21.5 motors:
Racing setups for these motors has generally evolved into "max out the timing advance, and adjust gearing to keep motor temps in check".

Your temp gun and lap time sheet are your best friend here. With the timing maxxed out, a very good driver can recognize the "breaking point" of the motor very quickly. This is the point when you are adding a tooth, seeing laptimes go down and the motor is not overheating yet, and you add another tooth and repeat. At some point when you add one more tooth, usually two or three things happen all at once: You notice you have lost a lot of rip out of tight corners (the motor is maxxed out on torque), your laptimes have gotten slower, and the motor is at or beyond it's safe max temp. This is the breaking point, and for Nationals level drivers - they go down one tooth and call it a day.

For club level, I would recommend going down 2 or 3 teeth to give you some extra security from blowing motors, and here's why:

Traction conditions can change during the day, and added traction = more motor heat. Ambient temps change during the day, and higher ambient temps = more motor heat. Even something like a slight drivetrain bind, or a wheel bearing starting to go bad will add friction to the drivetrain and thus add motor heat. If you are just barely one tooth under the breaking point, there are many many factors that might come into play that will shoot you right over the edge in an instant, and then you've smoked a motor.

Max temps:
21.5 = 140F
17.5 = 145F
13.5 = 165F
10.5 = 175F
Anything faster than 10.5 = 185F
Where on the motor do you check the temps?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #110
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
I had similar issues but with the 1.1 GT , I ended up running around a 10.25FDR in a large outdoor track with no problems, also try dropping your timing to #2 ( i think its 3.75 degrees)
Thank you very much for the tips Marcos J. I followed your advice using 10.275FDR and step down a click of my esc timing (I think its 11 deg something). Since that I did not get any cut off any more. I ended up TQ and won in the A main mod class.

As for the melting solder from my deans connector I swap it with bullet type 3.5mm size connector and it solved my problem.

BTW where can I get a higher melting temp solder lead?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #111
Tech Adept

I would like to thank, once again, to Shaw Palmer , for his advices.
Finally, i make a good race, TQ and win final-A, in 10.5 stock class, i use the Speed Passion Supercapacitor, with Nosram ISTC, and Speed Passion 10.5R, with 5.45 FDR, in Small/medium track, with Lipos.

Greetings, Luis C.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #112
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh28 View Post
Where on the motor do you check the temps?
The hot spot on my 13.5 is on the can right next to the end with the solder tabs, right on the "13.5T" engraving.

-rocky b

Last edited by flatspunout; 04-19-2009 at 05:48 PM.
flatspunout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #113
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I normally look at the bottom of the screen on my radio LOL!

I use a temp sensor inside the motor and it works great.