Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree57Likes

The Speed Passion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I get it now. Well unfortunately the only way you can do that is if you have a buddy at the track that already has the stuff and he or she hooks you up and flashes your speedo for you to the blinky software or you decided to buy the Citrix stock club race speedo.

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/produ...?p=12280&c=ESC
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dvaid852456
I ran the 2.1 Prostock on Sunday in 13.5 TC and have a couple of questions.

I was geared at 7.48 FDR and the motor came off 72C max. The ambient temps were cold all day (around 10C) so this may have been a little warm.

My main question is for the attached setup and track which is approx 40m x 30m do I need to gear lower 7.73 or 7.99? Acceleration could have been better and my lap times did get better when I geared down to 7.48 from 7.2.

I wonder if it is down to the turbo kicking in as I accelerate hard out of some of the corners at full throttle that is bogging down the acceleration.

Has anyone tried setting timing to 64 and just setting a very high boost timing acceleration value? I was wondering if it would be better to rely on the RPM of the motor to set the timing rather than holding full throttle? If I used say 700RPM/Deg that would mean 64 timing would be applied at 49800 RPM rather than when I hold full throttle for a period of time?
Gear up.

Use the natural torque of the motor to get you out of the corner then let the boost/turbo give you the top end on the straights.

I was in the same boat as you in the past. Assumed that, since the "boosted" software made the motor rev high, I would need to gear low to compensate. But had the same "dead" feeling on corner exit as you waited for the boost to kick in. Tried all sorts of boost settings but got nowhere.

Then I realised that gearing at 7.5:1 was wasting all the 13.5's natural torque at the bottom end. I'm at 6:1 now with an SP v3 13.5 and motor temps are not a problem so far, possibly running cooler than before.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
GT 2.0 Pro is still their top model until the Revention Pro comes out in the future.

Thanks for the info. Would you guys recommend getting the GT Pro now or holding out for the Revention Pro?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge
Gear up.

Use the natural torque of the motor to get you out of the corner then let the boost/turbo give you the top end on the straights.

I was in the same boat as you in the past. Assumed that, since the "boosted" software made the motor rev high, I would need to gear low to compensate. But had the same "dead" feeling on corner exit as you waited for the boost to kick in. Tried all sorts of boost settings but got nowhere.

Then I realised that gearing at 7.5:1 was wasting all the 13.5's natural torque at the bottom end. I'm at 6:1 now with an SP v3 13.5 and motor temps are not a problem so far, possibly running cooler than before.
Interesting. What speed controller/boost settings are you running?

I've always worried about gearing higher as the turbo kicks in at lower revs when going full throttle out of some corners. That will just dump loads of timing on a low reving motor.

That's why I'm thinking of not using the Turbo and tuning the boost RPM to suit the track and only apply timing when the motor is reving higher.

The SP ESC has a maximum Turbo delay of 0.8 seconds. On some corners I can be on full throttle coming out of a corner for well over this. Won't turbo just always be bogging the motor down?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Interesting. What speed controller/boost settings are you running?

I've always worried about gearing higher as the turbo kicks in at lower revs when going full throttle out of some corners. That will just dump loads of timing on a low reving motor.

That's why I'm thinking of not using the Turbo and tuning the boost RPM to suit the track and only apply timing when the motor is reving higher.

The SP ESC has a maximum Turbo delay of 0.8 seconds. On some corners I can be on full throttle coming out of a corner for well over this. Won't turbo just always be bogging the motor down?
I'm using the HW software in my ESC now, basically on the default settings of the latest version (I've only changed the brakes). I think it is virtually identical to the latest SP software.

I understand your concerns about the dumping too much timing on the motor etc. but in my experience an "all boost" setup seems to dump the timing on the motor much faster than a split between boost and turbo. With the latest softwares, the transfer from boost to turbo is actually quite smooth with the default settings.

Try a bigger pinion - it will probably feel better and better each tooth you put on. Tweak the software later - the software will do nothing to improve the performance off the line or out of slow corners - it's all in the motor and gearing at that point.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge
I'm using the HW software in my ESC now, basically on the default settings of the latest version (I've only changed the brakes). I think it is virtually identical to the latest SP software.

I understand your concerns about the dumping too much timing on the motor etc. but in my experience an "all boost" setup seems to dump the timing on the motor much faster than a split between boost and turbo. With the latest softwares, the transfer from boost to turbo is actually quite smooth with the default settings.

Try a bigger pinion - it will probably feel better and better each tooth you put on. Tweak the software later - the software will do nothing to improve the performance off the line or out of slow corners - it's all in the motor and gearing at that point.
I really appreciate your comments, I'm not sure I've ever got my head completely around this. If I'm lacking acceleration out of corners won't a higher gear be worse?

Or is it like you say the natural torque of the motor can be utilised with higher gearing. It just seems strange that if top speed is great and I'm lacking punch out of corners I need to gear up.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R Doyel
It does, that's not what I meant.

I was hoping to not have to use a PC interface, to just run blinky.
try going to your local track and asking someone to borow theres , i have always gt mine with me !!!!!

i bought my Hobbywing box for about 10 euros on Ebay !!!! i am sure this will not break the bank
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdwilliams1
Thanks for the info. Would you guys recommend getting the GT Pro now or holding out for the Revention Pro?
The Reventon Pro won't be out for a while, and the GT Pro is an awesome speedo, so I'd go with the GT Pro for now.

Brushless motors have a specific efficiency range they like to operate at. If you gear too high or too low, everything can suffer. It sounds like you are geared too far trying to chase the acceleration and everything is suffering at this point (motor is hot, no acceleration).

Try to think of the timing boost as your mid-range power and the turbo as your top end. 0.1 to 0.3 turbo delay is perfect for most tracks. Unless the track is a really small track (like 25m straight) then you would always want to run some turbo and not only timing boost.

I really appreciate your comments, I'm not sure I've ever got my head completely around this. If I'm lacking acceleration out of corners won't a higher gear be worse?

Or is it like you say the natural torque of the motor can be utilised with higher gearing. It just seems strange that if top speed is great and I'm lacking punch out of corners I need to gear up.
Refer to what I said about the efficiency range of the motor above. I think you will see that the motor is faster all over, including acceleration, and will probably also run cooler when you gear up again.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by M-Technic
The Reventon Pro won't be out for a while, and the GT Pro is an awesome speedo, so I'd go with the GT Pro for now.

Brushless motors have a specific efficiency range they like to operate at. If you gear too high or too low, everything can suffer. It sounds like you are geared too far trying to chase the acceleration and everything is suffering at this point (motor is hot, no acceleration).

Try to think of the timing boost as your mid-range power and the turbo as your top end. 0.1 to 0.3 turbo delay is perfect for most tracks. Unless the track is a really small track (like 25m straight) then you would always want to run some turbo and not only timing boost.

Refer to what I said about the efficiency range of the motor above. I think you will see that the motor is faster all over, including acceleration, and will probably also run cooler when you gear up again.
Gear up it is then. I'll work towards 6 fdr and temp along the way.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hectickurt
Will the Reventon S run stock supercharger firmware or is it blinky only?
Right now...only mod0, mod1 and stock0 are the available software for Reventon S and R....Stock1 (boost) is under testing.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Get the GT2 PRO now...you have to get used to the current model before even trying out the new REVENTON PRO...the PRO is a totally different ESC that I am sure alot of us will spend some time to figure it out.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Get the GT2 PRO now...you have to get used to the current model before even trying out the new REVENTON PRO...the PRO is a totally different ESC that I am sure alot of us will spend some time to figure it out.

Thanks! What software would you recommend loading for mod short course truck?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks! What software would you recommend loading for mod short course truck?
4x4 I assumed? No matter what....323stock is the way to go. See some of the setup by our driver below...

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/escsetup.asp
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
try going to your local track and asking someone to borow theres , i have always gt mine with me !!!!!

i bought my Hobbywing box for about 10 euros on Ebay !!!! i am sure this will not break the bank
This one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyWing-2-...item19cfbc4d6a
Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Just wondering what u guys are using for a esc setup for a 2wd buggy med sizxed med bite outdoor track with a 8.5 Thanks. Im running a ultima rb5 sp2. Thanks.
Im using the gt 2.0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.