Had my first run out with the SP gear last week. Running 10.5 indoors on the rug. Following the advice on here, loaded up the 312 software, and maxed out the timining and DRRS to 8. Geared it initally at 105/37 (5.83 FDR), and put it on the track. Now before I go any further, I should point out I was also trying out a) a newly built car and b) lighter weight by running at 1350g (and I still had to add lead!).
To cut a long story short, car was quite undergeared, and ended up on a 105/40 combo, and it was much better. Gave a little away in top end, but was soo smooth to drive. I bumped the DRRS up to 9 as well, given that after five mins the motor was coming off at only 43°C (it had been sub 40 on the lower gearing!), even at 5.4fdr
I'm pretty sure I can solve the top end issue, either by more gearing (another tooth should be enough), or by trying advancing the timing on the motor.
I tried it on the desk, and there's a noticeable increase in revs when moving the motor timing poisition.
Also, given that I'm not using the fan, I thought it an idea to check the speedo temp after a run... mildly tepied i think would be a good description
So far, very impressed. It's certainly comparable to what I was running last year (the Wave stuff), and looking forward to doing a bit of a back to back against the two when I'm a meeting with more time.
Oh, and for thoose wondering... lower weight makes the car really good to drive.. and it was pretty easy to get the car balanced by placing the cells out over the chassis.
Anyway, to sign off, quick pic of the install, now it's properly blacked out, and I've made up a shorter reciever wire (half the size of the shortest one form the box
). Used 14awg for the motor wires, and 12awg for the battery. Have to see I'm quite happy with how it's come out, the new motor helps especially in my eyes... the lowline look is ace