R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #7186
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinbaja View Post
I not only paid to win a junk motor but I learned an important lesson besides, Don't buy second rate Speed Passion equipment and stick with the good stuff like Tekin and Trinity based motors. Tekin at least has a support network.
Hopefully others will learn from my mistake.
how many degrees of motor timing did you have in the motor and if im correct the instructions clearly state to not free rev motor or it will destroy it
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #7187
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crum View Post
how many degrees of motor timing did you have in the motor and if im correct the instructions clearly state to not free rev motor or it will destroy it
If you read the post, the motor was not even revved to 1/4 throttle with no boost and no turbo and the timing was as it was out of the box. You can't tell me you never touch the throttle unless the tires are on the track! I was checking to make sure the car was actually turned on before I set it down on the track.
If I did something stupid like rev it to the moon and it exploded, I would not be posting this. The rpm should not have been enough to damage the motor. Like I said, since I posted this, I have recieved PM's from other people that have had the same issue. Now that I know it is an issue with Speed Passion motors, I will just move on.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #7188
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I am positive that a 17.5 without boost and turbo in a sedan at less than 1/4 throttle will not spin up as fast as a 13.5 with boost and turbo maxxed out at full throttle in a short course truck.

Since I made the post this morning, I have recieved PM's from several people that have had the same issue with their SP motors on the track (under load).

The lesson I did learn is: There is a reason why the used Tekin motors get snatched up in minutes on the classifieds board and the SP stuff sits on the board for days.
Sorry mate but i have to dissagree , i have 8 to 10 SP motors and not one has had a shattered rotor , get your facts corect before mouthing off !!! i had a Tekin motor and it burned in one run , was that the motors fault ???? NO do i go complaining in the Tekin thread NO ,

RANT OVER !!!!
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #7189
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Cool

I have both motors and I don't have any problem with them yet. I raced them hard and free-rev the motor without any issue.

Maybe you're just unlucky to get a defective unit. But smacking a brand just because of one failure and talking about how godly the Tekin motors are won't help you get anywhere because this is a Speed Passion thread. Instead, you can get more help by PMing Solara or Speed Passion and ask for assistance.

What would I get if my Tekin exploded and I go and condamn the brand on the Tekin thread? Other than getting nowhere with the issue, I am sure I will get a lot of backfires.

Another thing to consider, Speed Passion motor has vent holes which are prone to debris. I've heard in some rare instance, some track debris such as small screw or pin may get into the hole and jammed up the rotor, or destroy the rotor while it is spinning. I am not sure if this is the cause of your problem. The Tekin does not have any vent hole so it is not affected. There are pros and cons about the design, pros being it runs cooler because air vents around the rotor (I can gear my Speed Passion motor 1-2 teeth more than the Tekin and still stays cool). Cons being obviously higher maintenance and debris-prone.
eComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:53 AM   #7190
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

any good setup for 10.5t Touring track open flowing and straight 120 feet long
Old 05-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #7191
Tech Regular

Does anyone have a good setup for 323 stock software running an 13.5 x12 motor, med/large track.
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #7192
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
Sorry mate but i have to dissagree , i have 8 to 10 SP motors and not one has had a shattered rotor , get your facts corect before mouthing off !!! i had a Tekin motor and it burned in one run , was that the motors fault ???? NO do i go complaining in the Tekin thread NO ,

RANT OVER !!!!
I asked a simple question and was told I did something wrong, along with PM's stating they have had the same issues.
I have my facts straight, people at my track and on this forum have confirmed my thoughts.
You need to get your "facts" correct! I am not your "mate", I don't even know you.
If I had the same problem with a Tekin motor, it would be on the forum. If you want to complain on the Tekin thread go ahead and complain, I don't think I could care less.
Absolutely everything I posted is factual.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #7193
Tech Master

Quote:
I asked a simple question and was told I did something wrong, along with PM's stating they have had the same issues.
I have my facts straight, people at my track and on this forum have confirmed my thoughts.
You need to get your "facts" correct! I am not your "mate", I don't even know you.
If I had the same problem with a Tekin motor, it would be on the forum. If you want to complain on the Tekin thread go ahead and complain, I don't think I could care less.
Absolutely everything I posted is factual.
ok see you in the Tekin thread from now on .........
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #7194
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
ok see you in the Tekin thread from now on .........
I have no need to be on the Tekin thread, so you won't see me there.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #7195
Tech Master

Quote:
ok
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #7196
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Jerry, you have PM to check...thanks.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #7197
Tech Regular

Clean it out, put a new rotor in and then your back racing! Now back on topic
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #7198
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default getting to speedo settings 12 thru 15

OK. So, after weeks of anxiously waiting, my LCD programmer box finally arrived. But, when I plug the thing in, it still only lets me choose settings for the basic adjustments in items 1 thru 10. There's nothing in the instructions (which are very poor) that explains how to get the thing to display the advanced settings for items 12, 13, 14, or 15. I'm not finding an explaination for how to do this on the SP site either. How does one download the newer software versions and/or upload whatever is necessary so that the LCD program box can be used to choose the advanced boost and timing settings in the speedo? 2 more questions please.........is there a software version that would be appropriate for running blinky 13.5 in a 1/12th scale car? And which software would be good for running mod 1/12th with a 4.5 motor?
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #7199
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
OK. So, after weeks of anxiously waiting, my LCD programmer box finally arrived. But, when I plug the thing in, it still only lets me choose settings for the basic adjustments in items 1 thru 10. There's nothing in the instructions (which are very poor) that explains how to get the thing to display the advanced settings for items 12, 13, 14, or 15. I'm not finding an explaination for how to do this on the SP site either. How does one download the newer software versions and/or upload whatever is necessary so that the LCD program box can be used to choose the advanced boost and timing settings in the speedo? 2 more questions please.........is there a software version that would be appropriate for running blinky 13.5 in a 1/12th scale car? And which software would be good for running mod 1/12th with a 4.5 motor?
I think the settings unlock depends on your firmware. If you're running non-boosted firmware 508, those setting will be locked out. Try to update to the latest firmware (flash a few times and do transmitter re-calibration) and then see if you can see those advanced settings.
eComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #7200
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
Make sure you have the latest firmware on the LCD card.