R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #7171
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
just try it the updates are free and if you got the speedo why not ??
Because X12 is going to be the hand-out motor for DHI Cup in Open Stock, and I don't own an X12. And stock is just boring on the large open tracks we have outdoors
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #7172
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
do you have a good setup for 17.5 touring?
thanks,
no sorry the software is quite new so people are working on set ups but as of yet i dont have a 17.5 set up , and also we dont race that class here in Europe

have a go your self just watch your motor temps every 2 laps when you change things
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #7173
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Today I took my X-Ray T3 to the track for it's first race and never made it out of the pits. The car has a Tekin RS Pro speedo powering a Speed Passion Competition 17.5 3.0 motor. I have had the car to the track for gearing, programming and motor temp testing. The motor has never seen temps anywhere near 150f and it had good speed, so I thought I was ready to race.
I installed the battery, the body, turned the radio on, then the speedo. Before I left the pits I pulled the trigger to about 1/4 throttle just to make sure the car was on and functioning. The motor hardly built any rpm then the driveline of the car locked up. Upon further inspection I determined the rotor in the motor exploded.
I bought the Speed Passion because I heard good things about them and as soon as I determined the problem, I heard from more than a few people in the pits that that model motor is notorious for scattering rotors, is this a fact?
Since I need to purchase another motor I would hate to make the same mistake again.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #7174
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

No it is not true.
#49, #25a, #91, #7, #12 the ones to watch.... UPDATE. #12 is your new AMA GNC #1

A Northwest Team of Positive actions
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #7175
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

Does the Old USB Programmer from GT2.0 work on the GT2.1 Escs ?

Because the New Field Programmer style are a joke.
They Are Extremely Flimsy feeling and Break able.

I like my Metal Cased HobbyWing Style Programmer for my GT2.0 back then better. Heck even the old Field Programmer felt better.

Though the ESC itself is awesome. Nice compact and runs very cool.
Disappointed in the small Cap Bank they give you in the 2.1 LOL but heck whatever works.

So does any one know how the new Software works with Turbo/Boost ?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #7176
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinbaja View Post
Today I took my X-Ray T3 to the track for it's first race and never made it out of the pits. The car has a Tekin RS Pro speedo powering a Speed Passion Competition 17.5 3.0 motor. I have had the car to the track for gearing, programming and motor temp testing. The motor has never seen temps anywhere near 150f and it had good speed, so I thought I was ready to race.
I installed the battery, the body, turned the radio on, then the speedo. Before I left the pits I pulled the trigger to about 1/4 throttle just to make sure the car was on and functioning. The motor hardly built any rpm then the driveline of the car locked up. Upon further inspection I determined the rotor in the motor exploded.
I bought the Speed Passion because I heard good things about them and as soon as I determined the problem, I heard from more than a few people in the pits that that model motor is notorious for scattering rotors, is this a fact?
Since I need to purchase another motor I would hate to make the same mistake again.
Been running my 17.5 v3 sp motor a long time and had zero issues. I've seen rotors explode though in all brands, not just one.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 AM   #7177
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314

Quote:
I have been running the same 17.5 V3, which was purchased when they first were released. Has been run on indoor carpet and outdoors with zero issues.
Exploding a rotor is typically seen by applying full throttle on the bench with a boosted ESC. The unloaded RPM builds very quickly and well exceeds the normal operating RPM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 AM   #7178
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by g12314 View Post
Exploding a rotor is typically seen by applying full throttle on the bench with a boosted ESC. The unloaded RPM builds very quickly and well exceeds the normal operating RPM.
Excessive RPM was not the case in this instance.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #7179
Tech Elite

Quote:
Excessive RPM was not the case in this instance.
I've done the same thing once as well, and was at quarter throttle. I think the morale of the story is don't free rev brushless motors.
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #7180
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Anybody have any suggested settings for 21.5 boosted using an epic d3 with the sp gt2.1 on the newest stock software?
J-PaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #7181
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
I've done the same thing once as well, and was at quarter throttle. I think the morale of the story is don't free rev brushless motors.
I have a 17.5 Tekin in a SC10 and it gets free revved to top speed, hundreds of times per race night to adjust the trajectory of the truck in the air. in a 1 1/2 years of racing at least 2 times a week I have not had an issue with the motor.
As much as I like the wiring plugs in the SP motor, I guess I'm in the market for a 17.5 Tekin.
I think the morale of the story is don't free rev Speed Passion brushless motors, not even a little.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #7182
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Truck tires weigh multiples of a sedan tire. You don't spin the motor up as fast.

I have seen free revved motors explode like this in sedans. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #7183
Tech Fanatic

I am positive that a 17.5 without boost and turbo in a sedan at less than 1/4 throttle will not spin up as fast as a 13.5 with boost and turbo maxxed out at full throttle in a short course truck.

Since I made the post this morning, I have recieved PM's from several people that have had the same issue with their SP motors on the track (under load).

The lesson I did learn is: There is a reason why the used Tekin motors get snatched up in minutes on the classifieds board and the SP stuff sits on the board for days.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #7184
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Congratulations, you win. Your prize is an exploded motor.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #7185
Tech Fanatic

I not only paid to win a junk motor but I learned an important lesson besides, Don't buy second rate Speed Passion equipment and stick with the good stuff like Tekin and Trinity based motors. Tekin at least has a support network.
Hopefully others will learn from my mistake.