Search
Like Tree57Likes

The Speed Passion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Looking for advice on a Cirtix Stock Club 21.5 system. Just got this setup in a VTA car I bought. It was used once before I got my mitts on it and it ran perfectly.

I took it for a few easy test laps this past weekend and pulled the car for some chassis tuning. When I tried to get it fired up again later, the ESC was beeping like it was waiting for Tx setup, so I did that. Nothing.

When I got the car on my bench at home I checked for broken wires, a bad receiver and checked with a few different batteries. What I'm noticing is that the yellow light that normally turns off when the throttle is pressed, doesn't.

So, I know the signal is getting from the radio to the receiver. I know the wires from receiver to ESC are good. I know the wires from the ESC to the motor are good.

I've got a program box on the way to see if maybe some setting got screwed up somehow. Would this still be covered by any kind of warranty? It's got less than 30 minutes on it and is about 8 months since purchase.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Double check that solder connector on your ESC's receiver wires...that 3 joints are easily broken and you need to resolder them again.

The new style club spec use the PLUG type to elimnate problem like that.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Double check that solder connector on your ESC's receiver wires...that 3 joints are easily broken and you need to resolder them again.

The new style club spec use the PLUG type to elimnate problem like that.
Tested the ESC connector at the receiver - OK
Tested connection from ESC connector to ESC - OK
Tested signal at receiver - OK
Tested signal between receiver and ESC - OK

So, all wires and connections are good. The yellow light that indicates the ESC is receiving and utilizing the signal is still not changing and the motor is still not turning.

Any further advice as to how to diagnose the issue? I don't have another BL motor, so I cannot see if that's the problem, however unlikely. Is there a way to diagnose the signal being sent through the 3 motor wires?

Jim
Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Tested the ESC connector at the receiver - OK
Tested connection from ESC connector to ESC - OK
Tested signal at receiver - OK
Tested signal between receiver and ESC - OK

So, all wires and connections are good. The yellow light that indicates the ESC is receiving and utilizing the signal is still not changing and the motor is still not turning.

Any further advice as to how to diagnose the issue? I don't have another BL motor, so I cannot see if that's the problem, however unlikely. Is there a way to diagnose the signal being sent through the 3 motor wires?

Jim
Remove the sensor wire from the motor and see if it works. You might have a bad sensor wire or board.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Nope. That was the first thing I tried.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

do you have the good voltage out of your lipo? above 3.2v?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Battery (batteries actually) is good. Tried several just to be sure. Tried at voltages ranging from 7.4 to 8.4.

Resoldered a few things this afternoon just to be 100% sure. Still pooched.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

did you try to move the sensor on the motor to another position?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

21.5T Ultra Sportsman V2. Fixed timing motor. No sensor adjustment available that I'm aware of.

Is there a way to measure the ESC output at the motor leads using a multimeter? Given that it's a switching current I suppose an oscilloscope would be better suited, but I don't have one handy.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Yes you can advance the timing on the V2 motors....loosen the three screws on the back plate. Give the rotor a tap from the pinion side and rotate the whole back plate counter clockwise to advance the timing. I would try moving it just a little to see if that helps it get picked back up....make sure you tighten all the screws down when you are done.

I have no idea about how to look at it on a scope.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

No dice. This still doesn't address that the yellow light that indicates throttle use isn't changing when the throttle is used. Plus, as mentioned before, the car ran fine, was turned off for a short while, turned on again and didn't function at that point.

Frustrating. I'm sure there's a solution here someplace, though.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Same thing happened.
Set all over again. The station with the receiver (the exponential to the maximum), the receiver with the drive.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yup. I'm just going to waitbuy for the program box to arrive. Then I'll start from scratch. If that doesn't work, I'll buy something else.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

No dice. This still doesn't address that the yellow light that indicates throttle use isn't changing when the throttle is used. Plus, as mentioned before, the car ran fine, was turned off for a short while, turned on again and didn't function at that point.

Frustrating. I'm sure there's a solution here someplace, though.
Yellow light indicated that you are in NEUTRAL....when you apply throttle on your radio, yellow light will be off, but red light will always be blinking no matter what you do.

Please redo the calibration with your radio and ESC again. It looks like there are no signal from your receiver to the ESC and telling the ESC to accelerate.

Have you try using another motor beside the NOVAK..? You said you have a Speed Passion V2 motor, try solder that one and calibrate your radio/esc again and let us know what happen.

I have seen customer had this problem once in a while...but not all the time. Give that a try.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

depending on the esc, and the updates, some sp escs have issues running novak motors.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Solara
Yellow light indicated that you are in NEUTRAL....when you apply throttle on your radio, yellow light will be off, but red light will always be blinking no matter what you do.
The red light isn't a problem. As previously stated, the yellow light does not change when throttle is applied.

Please redo the calibration with your radio and ESC again. It looks like there are no signal from your receiver to the ESC and telling the ESC to accelerate.
As also previously stated, recalibration has been done, receiver has been tested. The signal from the reciver to the ESC has been confirmed. The ESC is not doing anything with the signal.

Have you try using another motor beside the NOVAK..? You said you have a Speed Passion V2 motor, try solder that one and calibrate your radio/esc again and let us know what happen.
I don't have a Novak motor. The only BL equipment I own is the Club Stock 17.5T system.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.