R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #6376
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilekt View Post
stick with the 528 for now. just saying, thats all I'm saying.
#49, #25a, #91, #7, #12 the ones to watch.... UPDATE. #12 is your new AMA GNC #1

A Northwest Team of Positive actions
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #6377
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy View Post
Probably between 80- and 100 ft. see here
Open ESC
Speed Passion V3 21.5R
what possible reason would there be to have a open esc with a 21.5.

I ran a 2.9 ratio on mine with in stock mode if thats helps with a starting point.
#49, #25a, #91, #7, #12 the ones to watch.... UPDATE. #12 is your new AMA GNC #1

Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #6378
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy View Post
Probably between 80- and 100 ft. see here
Open ESC
Speed Passion V3 21.5R
Nice track

We race 21.5 open esc together with 17.5 no timing on a similar sized indoor carpet track (80 - 90ft straight + sweeper). Main issue with open 21.5 is getting good performance for 6 minutes. Too much timing and you'll fall off at the 4 minute mark, not enough and the 17.5's out motor us. So its a fine balance, but when you hit the sweet spot it may be a smidge faster than the 17.5 no timing setup.

For FDR, I would start somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 and adjust from there.

For the motor, advance the endbell to the max position

For the ESC, download the new firmware release #01212stock, as the settings I'll share were run with the beta version of it.

#4 Level 7
#9 one down from the MAX timing setting
#12 one down from the MAX timing setting
#13 1 (1800 rpm start)
#14 .2 seconds for the delay
#15 3

With the above, I ran a single motor fan and was coming off the track around 150F after 6 minutes. The other settings likes brakes, etc are typically very driver specific so I didnt list them.

Jimmy
Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 AM   #6379
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocking Donkey View Post
Today whilst racing I have had problems with my esc/motor. I am running the 110 software on a GT2.0 LPF in 13.5 touring in a small hall, indoor rubber tyre. The motor kept going into sensorless mode whist running. When it did this the car would judder whilst running and be something like half throttle. I pulled the car off the track and I knew that it was going sensorless as the green light was flashing.

I turned the esc off and on again and it ran sensored with full power for about a minute, and then went sensorless again. After ~20s the car would slow to a crawl and then get faster, almost up to full speed. When I pulled the car off in this state the red light would come on with the throttle, but the green light didn't come on again at full throttle. Turned the car off and on again, motor ran at full sensored power and the green light came on at full throttle. This wasn't a problem with the radio as I adjusted the end points to make sure that it wasn't due to the high point drifting.

My next thought was that it could be the sensor wire so I swapped that with identical results. I then swapped the motor, and again identical results. All in I tried two motors (one GM and one Novak) with 4 sensor wires (Speed Passion, Losi and Novak), the only constant was the esc.

Sometimes the problem seemed to be triggered by brushing the track markers, but other time it would just go sensorless in the middle of the straight. Could this be a problem with the sensor connectors in the esc, or is it possible that it could be a software problem? I always double flash the esc firmware and reset the esc neutral and end points. Other things I considered were issues with the power capacitor.

I'm hoping that someone may have some ideas before I have to go and buy a new esc. As the problem usually happens about a minute into a race its a bit difficult to diagnose at home. I have never overheated the esc or motors as I run in a 10x10m hall and there is no need to!

Also, I am interested in the GT2.1 EX esc. Is this a completely new esc or is it a different case for the GT2.0? I mainly run 13.5 touring, but occasionally 4WD mod offroad on high grip surfaces and would like one esc for both classes to replace my tired old GTB.

Cheers

Ben, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
re set the esc to radio. stick with 2.0, and it wouldn't hurt to update your software to the 528 version.
Hi Skypilot, I always reset the esc to the radio after updating the esc firmware, and had tried this during racing. This is what I meant in the original message about resetting the neutral and end points. This was not the problem. When turning the esc off and on again the green light always came on to show that I was at full throttle. It was just half way through races that I had a problem. I will try updating to 528, but I like the performance of 110 as I don't need any boost for the track I'm racing on.

Ben
Rocking Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 AM   #6380
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g12314 View Post
Nice track

We race 21.5 open esc together with 17.5 no timing on a similar sized indoor carpet track (80 - 90ft straight + sweeper). Main issue with open 21.5 is getting good performance for 6 minutes. Too much timing and you'll fall off at the 4 minute mark, not enough and the 17.5's out motor us. So its a fine balance, but when you hit the sweet spot it may be a smidge faster than the 17.5 no timing setup.

For FDR, I would start somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 and adjust from there.

For the motor, advance the endbell to the max position

For the ESC, download the new firmware release #01212stock, as the settings I'll share were run with the beta version of it.

#4 Level 7
#9 one down from the MAX timing setting
#12 one down from the MAX timing setting
#13 1 (1800 rpm start)
#14 .2 seconds for the delay
#15 3

With the above, I ran a single motor fan and was coming off the track around 150F after 6 minutes. The other settings likes brakes, etc are typically very driver specific so I didnt list them.

Jimmy
Thanks for that - gives me a place to start. We don't race open esc in 21.5 where I usually race but I am doing an event in March at the club track I put in my last post (Hobart Tasmania) and I needed some ideas to get a start. Not actually far off what I had in mind. We run 17.5 no timing here so it interesting that you find it about the same as 21.5 with timing - thyat will give me a good idea when I am on the money.

Thanks again for your help.

cheers
Life Member Bayside RCCC -Schumacher Mi6
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, XXT, SVR, AE Worlds.
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #6381
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When I plug my LCD programmer into my computer it comes up with software version 100617. Is this a new version or is something wrong? Nevermind...just figured it out. Early morning brain fart..

Last edited by SpeedySST; 01-25-2011 at 04:46 AM.
SpeedySST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #6382
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Just got this esc and had a few questions? I downloaded v 1.33 and also noticed v 1.35 just got released, should I download this new version ? I would be using both a 17.5 boosted as well as a 13.5 boosted, should I use the same softwear , just not really sure how this esc all works I do have the program car and what not as well. Thanks.
Blitzrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #6383
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilekt View Post
Is this for the 2.1 ProStock to replace 528?
scoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #6384
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 17.5

any one have a good starting point for speedpassion 17.5 FDR?, w/tekin rs esc, 2 cells

email-vegaloulou@aol.com
Ebay account LOU840
louielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #6385
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzrockey View Post
Just got this esc and had a few questions? I downloaded v 1.33 and also noticed v 1.35 just got released, should I download this new version ? I would be using both a 17.5 boosted as well as a 13.5 boosted, should I use the same softwear , just not really sure how this esc all works I do have the program car and what not as well. Thanks.
Yes, please download this latest one from today and upload to 1.35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoyle View Post
Is this for the 2.1 ProStock to replace 528?
Yes...it is the newer version then 528STOCK and you should try it (101212STOCK). It is not just for ProStock 2.1 it is for the whole GT series ESC. We leave the 528STOCK there because some ppl prefer that version over the new one.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #6386
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielou View Post
any one have a good starting point for speedpassion 17.5 FDR?, w/tekin rs esc, 2 cells
7.2? But I don't know how big/small of your track....indoor? Outdoor?
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #6387
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
stick with the 528 for now. just saying, thats all I'm saying.
Are you suggesting we should avoid turning it up to 11?

Come on, please share details.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #6388
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Yes, please download this latest one from today and upload to 1.35.

Yes...it is the newer version then 528STOCK and you should try it (101212STOCK). It is not just for ProStock 2.1 it is for the whole GT series ESC. We leave the 528STOCK there because some ppl prefer that version over the new one.
Just updated my speedo software to 101212STOCK and is a little unsecure of how to setup everything, how is motor temp on 1212 compared to 528??

With 528STOCK I ran my SP Ver. 3 17,5 motor and FDR 4.3 on a large indoor carpet track, motor timing was standard (In the middle, 5 degrees I guess). And ofcourse 7.4v LiPo in my 1/10 TC.

With this setup I ran every speedo setting maxed out and the motor was about 85degrees celsius after 5min heat so OK.

Do I have to change motor timing to 10degrees? I would like some advice because if I do this, the FDR should be different also.

With the setup I ran I needed more punch out of corners, but laps were faster with FDR 4.3. The new 101212STOCK software might solve this, with lower SC boost RPM right?
Lilhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #6389
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocking Donkey View Post
Hi Skypilot, I always reset the esc to the radio after updating the esc firmware, and had tried this during racing. This is what I meant in the original message about resetting the neutral and end points. This was not the problem. When turning the esc off and on again the green light always came on to show that I was at full throttle. It was just half way through races that I had a problem. I will try updating to 528, but I like the performance of 110 as I don't need any boost for the track I'm racing on.

Ben
528 has a stock, no boost profile, but before downloading, I would save the 110 file to a thumb drive in case you don't like 528. I've had issues where I've been running and the motor just slows to a walking pace and resetting the esc always worked, once i had it where everytime i turned the esc on I had to reset it. I can't remember what I did to fix it, but it was simple. it had something to do with the sensor wire or sensor board in the motor.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #6390
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Are you suggesting we should avoid turning it up to 11?

Come on, please share details.
well,...... as you can see, SP released it away and is suggesting you use it.

who am I to disagree.

maybe if YOU were to ask for a link to some race results with before and after lap times.... I would ask but they don't listen to me.