Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #6211
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-racer-kirby View Post
Ordering a V2.1 Pro Stock tomorrow.

What is meant by recalibrating the the esc to the radio? I've heard it mentioned before but not quite sure what it means and how it is done.
in the instructions it will tell ya turn radio on
plug in battery to car
press button by the esc switch
turn switch on
esc will start beeping
(radio in neutral) push button once
esc will beep once
(radio at full throttle) push button again
esc will beep twice
(radio at full brake) push button again
esc will beep 3 times
wait a few secon light will come back on and your ready to go
hope this helps
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #6212
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crum View Post
the ex is designed for 1 cell racing i would recommend the 2.1 gt you will be much happier
Thank you!
HypeRevAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #6213
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to spar9368

Hi all,

Am running GT 2.0 with 205 mod software, and I'm running SP V3 3.5 ~ 4T motors at my home track. It is a large open track and I'm running FDR around 8~8.5. Motors are running around 65deg Celsius (with heatsink but no fan).

The problem with my ESC is that somehow sensor unit doesn't work. I've tried different motor and different sensor cable, but that wasn't a issue. I believe it was ESC, so I bought a brand new GT2.0 again and tried, but it worked for like a minute and doesn't work now. The green light on the bottom of ESC is blinking, which doesn't really happened, when it was fine. Both ESC are still working without sensor system.

Can anyone help this issue? Am I running to low turn motor with lipo batteries? Am I overgeared or undergeared?

Thanks in advance.

Sang
Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #6214
Tech Adept

Hello,
where can find the team driver setting,
I dont setup the speed control first.
thanks !
mr.ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #6215
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ng View Post
Hello,
where can find the team driver setting,
I dont setup the speed control first.
thanks !
Try here for team driver setups:

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/escsetup.asp
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #6216
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spar9368 View Post
Hi all,

Am running GT 2.0 with 205 mod software, and I'm running SP V3 3.5 ~ 4T motors at my home track. It is a large open track and I'm running FDR around 8~8.5. Motors are running around 65deg Celsius (with heatsink but no fan).

The problem with my ESC is that somehow sensor unit doesn't work. I've tried different motor and different sensor cable, but that wasn't a issue. I believe it was ESC, so I bought a brand new GT2.0 again and tried, but it worked for like a minute and doesn't work now. The green light on the bottom of ESC is blinking, which doesn't really happened, when it was fine. Both ESC are still working without sensor system.

Can anyone help this issue? Am I running to low turn motor with lipo batteries? Am I overgeared or undergeared?

Thanks in advance.

Sang
According to the manual a blinking green light indicates over-heat protection mode. Other than that I can't help, sorry. I'm sure someone who can offer better info will answer soon.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #6217
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
According to the manual a blinking green light indicates over-heat protection mode. Other than that I can't help, sorry. I'm sure someone who can offer better info will answer soon.
Thanks for the help.

That's exactly what I thought, but then again the speedy wasn't hot at all. I temped it and it was around 40deg. I see team driver setup sheet, and it all says 'off' for over-heat protection. Only thing that bothers me is that it might cook the speedy if things goes wrong. Anyway, I'll try without overheat protection.

Anyone has any better idea, your help is appreciated.

Cheers

Sang
Old 12-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #6218
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Try 528mod or even stock if the track is big enough. Massive change in speedie and motor temp for the better i have found.

Team Schumacher - Team Scorpion - Sweep Racing - Bezerk RC - Adelaide RC
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #6219
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Sang
Sang:

You indicated it is the SENSOR problem....how can you tell it is a sensor problem..? Motor is cogging? Won't launch? Not moving...?

(1) Turn off the THERMAL protection on the ESC, also, turn off the LIPO Cutoff. Just want to test and make sure there are no cutoff engagment to make the ESC not working...you can turn them back on if the problem solved.

(2) Open up the V3 motor and clean up the SENSOR unit within...just dust off or blow off the dust/sand or whatever that might caused the problem

(3) Run it again.....with the timing ring on the V3 motor at the MIDDLE (5*) position.

Please report your result here....Thanks
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #6220
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Try here for team driver setups:

http://www.speedpassion.net/us/escsetup.asp
Thanks

mr.ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #6221
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Sang:

You indicated it is the SENSOR problem....how can you tell it is a sensor problem..? Motor is cogging? Won't launch? Not moving...?

(1) Turn off the THERMAL protection on the ESC, also, turn off the LIPO Cutoff. Just want to test and make sure there are no cutoff engagment to make the ESC not working...you can turn them back on if the problem solved.

(2) Open up the V3 motor and clean up the SENSOR unit within...just dust off or blow off the dust/sand or whatever that might caused the problem

(3) Run it again.....with the timing ring on the V3 motor at the MIDDLE (5*) position.

Please report your result here....Thanks

Okay, here's my report.

The initial problem I wanted to solve was 'Sensor issue', which can be described as follow.

I ran 3.5T to 5.5T motor at my home track, mostly between 3.5T and 4T, and when I first installed ESC and motor, it was fine for like 30seconds.

And then it suddenly works like no sensor system is working. I don't see any performance difference with or without sensor cable, and I tried 0 DMTS timing and 26.25 timing (value 8), and there was no difference in the performance at all. So basically so far it is safe to say that sensor system has some kind of issue.

Both ESC and motor was brand new, and I thought I might have damaged in that 30sec period, so I've put the new motor and ESC again, and then same thing happens again. Of course I've tried different motors and different cables, and it all goes to the same problem. And on the bottom of the ESC, green light was keep blinking, so I guess it would have some problem.

I've then turned off any sort of protection, and it still does the same thing. Over Heat protection is off, so as voltage cutoff. But it still does the same thing.

When I re-boot the ESC (as in turn off and on again), green light is gone and it just seems fine. And then I try to accelerate a bit, like 30%, then green light is back again flashing. So I guess it is safe to say ESC is doing something wrong. BTW, motor was cogging when I slightly accelerate.

FYI, I have been used about 20 SP V3 motors, and I know a few top drivers at my local track runs pretty much the same timing and gearing, so it shouldn't be this bad. Motor and ESC was never thermalled too. I might try SP V2 motors, but then again I might have some same problems.

If anybody knows any better solution, please let me know.

Last edited by spar9368; 12-16-2010 at 06:29 PM.
spar9368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #6222
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 View Post
Try 528mod or even stock if the track is big enough. Massive change in speedie and motor temp for the better i have found.
Am running at Moorebank, so I guess it is safe to say that it is a big track. I'll try 528 software, but then again I found that it is actually for GT 2.1 or something. It is all kinda a mixed up, but I can have a go, if that's your suggestion Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #6223
Tech Elite

Quote:
Am running at Moorebank, so I guess it is safe to say that it is a big track. I'll try 528 software, but then again I found that it is actually for GT 2.1 or something. It is all kinda a mixed up, but I can have a go, if that's your suggestion Thanks
Its for both 2.0 and 2.1 You would almost want 528stock there with a 4.5 or 5T motor. If u plan on using anything bigger definatly go 528mod.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #6224
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 View Post
Its for both 2.0 and 2.1 You would almost want 528stock there with a 4.5 or 5T motor. If u plan on using anything bigger definatly go 528mod.
I've actually tried 528 stock with GT2.1 and 5.5T motor at moorebank, with zero turbo boost and stuff, and it was quite hot, and over heat protection worked properly, since speedy and motor came back pretty hot around 85 Celsius, so I'm kinda worried with 528stock.

One thing that still bothers me is that other people seems to have no problem with default software, and some of them actually find it works the best. I'm sure there's a solution to that problem.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #6225
Tech Elite

Quote:
I've actually tried 528 stock with GT2.1 and 5.5T motor at moorebank, with zero turbo boost and stuff, and it was quite hot, and over heat protection worked properly, since speedy and motor came back pretty hot around 85 Celsius, so I'm kinda worried with 528stock.

One thing that still bothers me is that other people seems to have no problem with default software, and some of them actually find it works the best. I'm sure there's a solution to that problem.
528mod you want everything just about maxed! Whenever i have used 528stock (only a few times) my motor temps were always cooler (by about 20d celcius). The car was a lot faster but i always thought it was inconsistant to drive fast like 528mod or 205g is