Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree57Likes

The Speed Passion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Males sounds good to me. Have you checked the rotor diameter?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Born2Run
Males sounds good to me. Have you checked the rotor diameter?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

Adam thanks for the info.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Got a question about the voltage cutoff on the GT2. I've got an old GT1 and the voltage just stops supplying power to the motor when I hit cutoff, my friend with the V2 it seems to continue to power the motor when it hit cutoff but at a very reduced speed.

Is this correct or is there something wrong with his GT2?

When his does this we check the battery with dvm and it shows the voltage at well below the 3.4v/c cutoff.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Super_Roo
Got a question about the voltage cutoff on the GT2. I've got an old GT1 and the voltage just stops supplying power to the motor when I hit cutoff, my friend with the V2 it seems to continue to power the motor when it hit cutoff but at a very reduced speed.

Is this correct or is there something wrong with his GT2?

When his does this we check the battery with dvm and it shows the voltage at well below the 3.4v/c cutoff.
Yes. This allows you to get your car back to the pits intead of stopping in the middle of the track. It starts at exactly 3.4v/c.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer
Hi Benny,
Any physical advance already on the motor is a static baseline the software works off of. As for exactly how we're manipulating the timing within the ESC to get better top end and punch while still retaining runtime and keeping the motor cool - that's a secret
Shawn -- I understand "trade secrets", but I have been trying to do my research on the SpeedPassion products and I found a quote from you on an old thread (about the 1.1 version?);

http://www.rctech.net/forum/4333671-post38.html
To clarify the manual and motor timing:
The manual recomends running the physical timing on the motor itself (if adjustable) at zero.
In truth - REGARDLESS of what BL motor you're running, the GT ESC alone controls timing advance, because it's switching into sensorless mode almost immediately after the motor starts turning ("Hybrid Drive"). Therefore - any timing advance positions on the motor (which are sensor-based) aren't being used anymore.
Obviously a BIG tuning advantage if your motor itself has no adjustable advance.
Is this information ONLY for the earlier version, or is this also true for the GT 2.0? I ask because althought I currently have an SP13.5R 'UltraSportsman' motor connected to my GT 2.0 LPF, I will also be trying it with a Novak SS13.5Pro and I don't want to "smoke" something by cranking the timing on the ESC and finding out it is ADDED to the ESC setting...?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Tom,
That does not apply to the 2.0. the total advance is equal to the ESC plus the motor advance.

Super-Roo:
The 2.0 speedos were ment to reduce speed as a warning for voltage (and also for excessive heat if applicable). When you see it slow down, head for the pits immediately.

It still does keep the voltage at a safe level though. What voltage were you seeing on your friend's car after it engaged, and how long did he continue to drive it after the slowdown?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

To Pablo Diablo:

I haven't had much time to be here lately, and Adam isn't as up to speed on the advance stuff and intricate inner ESC workings as I am.

What specific questions have yet to be answered for you? I'd be happy to help.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer
Hi Tom,
That does not apply to the 2.0. the total advance is equal to the ESC plus the motor advance.
GREAT! Thanks for the update -- I needed to be sure...

That does raise a quick follow up -- Novak has said their Ballistic 13.5's are set at 30 degrees "actual" timing at the factory... What is the built in timing on the SP UltraSportsman 13.5R motor? (This will help me know how much of a change to make when switching back and forth during testing.)

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Other than Novak, most all other motors come with around 11-13deg of factory advance if they aren't adjustable.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Speed Passion 17.5

Hello All,

I am just writing to say hello, my name is Ben and I am new to the Speed Passion family.

I have previously ran a Novak 17.5 but due to an "unfortunate schmelting accident" I now run a Speed Passion 17.5. I will admit I was very apprehensive at first, having run the 'other' motor for so long, but I am now a very happy racer with SP power.

My question is to do with gearing (I know, always a tough one).

I ran the gearing at FDR 3.5 (rollout 56.5mm) and got temperatures up around 110deg 'f' on an indoor carpet track which was high grip.

In your experience what sort of rollouts / ratios have people run (LRP Stock Spec ESC factory settings) with the 17.5?

Ben
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by auzzy_mate
Hello All,

I am just writing to say hello, my name is Ben and I am new to the Speed Passion family.

I have previously ran a Novak 17.5 but due to an "unfortunate schmelting accident" I now run a Speed Passion 17.5. I will admit I was very apprehensive at first, having run the 'other' motor for so long, but I am now a very happy racer with SP power.

My question is to do with gearing (I know, always a tough one).

I ran the gearing at FDR 3.5 (rollout 56.5mm) and got temperatures up around 110deg 'f' on an indoor carpet track which was high grip.

In your experience what sort of rollouts / ratios have people run (LRP Stock Spec ESC factory settings) with the 17.5?

Ben
Gear for lap times ben.. And keep an eye on temps. As long as you are not too hot you can go up if it improves your lap times.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

I have found my cars gearing to limit me with 17.5.
I have gone up to 57mm on new foam tyres at 65mm diameter.
definately can gear up as each time i changed to a bigger pinion the car got faster and motor has just gotten over 60 deg/c. Need to find smaller spur gears now.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Tech Addict

I know...it will be a silly question...

I've a Speedpassion 2.0 4.5 turn motor.
I open for clean it and didn't mark the endbell position, which was factory setted.

Reassemble everything and... which was the timing from factory?

Can some one tell me which is the correct position? The endbell cna be moved by an huge amount of travel...

Thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

V3.0 stock motor adjustable timing right ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.