R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #3871
Tech Apprentice

Hi Guys,

I have been testing the ESC alot here in the UK with the Beta Software and have found some interesting results.

I did a run against a GM powered car on a 30metre indoor track. I was using Firmware 228? This is where Id like to know what others are using? I have tried 231 but it seems you get no advance or boosting at all until 100% full throttle.

Here are my settings for 228

12: - 6
13:- 4
14:- 1
15:- 3

I have found 228 very very smooth and you get a nice mid range boost and then a supercharge at full throttle about halfway down the main straight.

I was geared at 8.3 with a 10.5. Temperatures were borderline and also there was fading, very similar to the feel of 5 cell.

What firmware are all you guys using?

Cheers

Stef
Stefan-Hpi Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #3872
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Have you guys try setting the radio (on throttle) @ 95% when calibrate the speedo...then after that, boost it back up to 100% or 105% range...?

I ran out of options to try so I will try to do that.............

For those who also run TEKIN, you guys know why ppl need to do that...FADING.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #3873
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to clintscreations Send a message via Yahoo to clintscreations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8nz View Post
How is it possible to tell when its gone into sensorless mode? A while ago I had an old motor run fast for the first 3 mins and then as it heated up it would slow down (to 540 speeds), and it turned out one of the windings inside the motor was starting to short when it got hot.

If I let it cool down it would be fine for about a lap and then the same thing would happen.

Eventually it failed altogether.

Mike
Sounds like the sensor in the motor is going bad or already bad....sp is generally in sensorless mode once the speedo can tell the motor is starting to unload
kcrc - shawnee, ks
clintscreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:14 AM   #3874
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Humyu Send a message via Skype™ to Humyu

Hi
Need help, Im running Sp GT2.0 Pro with Trinity Duo 3.5t. What the best FDR, currently using 9.21 motor and esc runs very hot And will stop all the sudden.

Need help..

Thnks
Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 AM   #3875
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humyu View Post
Hi
Need help, Im running Sp GT2.0 Pro with Trinity Duo 3.5t. What the best FDR, currently using 9.21 motor and esc runs very hot And will stop all the sudden.

Need help..

Thnks
with a 3.5 i would start at about 11.0 then gear to temp hard to say when u didnt report wat ur temps were with the 9.21 fdr
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #3876
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hi

Need help..

Thnks
what settings do you have on the esc?
I have had opverheating hassles in mod when running around 20 - 22 mm rollout and found i was actually undergeared which caused the motor to overheat as it was peaking to max rpm to early.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #3877
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Bigger Brother

I've had what I believe to be the same sensor problem. Cleaned out the motor and sensor board which initally solved the problem but after less than 30 seconds it was back again. (this was a SP V3 13.5)

Tried an old Novak SS and that seems to work fine so far.

Going to ask a friend to try my SP motor at the weekend to see if it is the motor/sensor board/sensor lead.

However, I find it a little strange that suddenly a number of people are encountering the problem after running the new software, seems like a bit more than just coincidence?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #3878
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi

Need help..

Thnks
set the timing to #3 for FDR on a medium track start around a 9.75 with the motor set a zero degrees. I ran the 2.0 with the SP 3.5 geared at a 9.25 with no issues.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #3879
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Brother View Post
I've had what I believe to be the same sensor problem. Cleaned out the motor and sensor board which initally solved the problem but after less than 30 seconds it was back again. (this was a SP V3 13.5)

Tried an old Novak SS and that seems to work fine so far.

Going to ask a friend to try my SP motor at the weekend to see if it is the motor/sensor board/sensor lead.

However, I find it a little strange that suddenly a number of people are encountering the problem after running the new software, seems like a bit more than just coincidence?
I think you will find its nothing to do with sensors, it will be one of your 3 windings that has started to fail. Theres three main reasons motors fail that I have seen:

1 Windings are starting to melt and short together when hot
2 Rotor failure
3 bearings

Next thing you will find is that one of the power wires comes unsoldered due to the excess heat from the winding. It will be at that point the motor fails altogether.

Regards
Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #3880
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8nz View Post
I think you will find its nothing to do with sensors, it will be one of your 3 windings that has started to fail. Theres three main reasons motors fail that I have seen:

1 Windings are starting to melt and short together when hot
2 Rotor failure
3 bearings

Next thing you will find is that one of the power wires comes unsoldered due to the excess heat from the winding. It will be at that point the motor fails altogether.

Regards
Mike
sensors do fail mate!

I had to change my 2 day old sensor board after the motor slowed down. After I put a another sensor board on, it was up to speed.

but regardless, the version 3 motors are a piece of *^%&$^%(

Last edited by charlie_b; 04-21-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Replaced a creative word with a more creative word.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #3881
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to mr crum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
sensors do fail mate!

I had to change my 2 day old sensor board after the motor slowed down. After I put a another sensor board on, it was up to speed.

but regardless, the version 3 motors are a piece of shit
wow strong statement my 2 cents i think the v3 motors are more efficient cooler running and more bottom end sorry u have had bad expierience with them but there are kids on rctech the cussing is not needed
FL INDOOR R/C COMPLEX
TEAM B.R. RACING
mr crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #3882
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well not to battle anyones personal experience with the v3 motors but I just finished a 7 month off road series where I ran a 10.5 v3 motor and had zero issues with it. I abused it, over heated it and it still ran great. Haven't had a issue with it at all. I have 3 different winds of the motor and all of them have been good. They are not in a touring car, but a 4 wheeler. But they have been smooth, powerful and dependable. I have seen every motor manufactures motor fail and usually there is a different root cause if you continue to dump motors. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #3883
Tech Addict

Quote:
sensors do fail mate!

but regardless, the version 3 motors are a piece of shit

I'm sure that sensors do fail but I have yet to see one fail. And I can tell you so far I've had 100% good luck with the V3 motors. Not a single problem with them so far.

For me its been Novak, Orion 2008, and a friends LRP x12 that I have seen fail.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #3884
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to charlie_b Send a message via MSN to charlie_b Send a message via Yahoo to charlie_b

Quote:
sensors do fail mate!

but regardless, the version 3 motors are a piece of *^%$^#^
Please be more selective of your descriptions. THanx.
CFX Paintworks:="https://www.facebook.com/CFXPaintworks?fref=ts
|HITEC|PARMA|PROTEKRC|SWEEP|IWATA|RPM|AMAIN|CREATE X/WICKED/AUTOAIR PAINTS|TEAMASSOCIATED|REEDY
charlie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #3885
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Damnit Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr crum View Post
wow strong statement my 2 cents i think the v3 motors are more efficient cooler running and more bottom end sorry u have had bad expierience with them but there are kids on rctech the cussing is not needed
Nevermind.